OMG...a trainer was killed today!

We've been domesticating animals for how long now??
Why is a dog any different than a whale? because there's more of them? Because it can fit into your lap? I swear people turn into PETA the minute a "wild" animal becomes headlines. But they still see no problem with having a pet at home. At one point in time dogs and cats were wild animals and took thousands of years to get them to the point they are now. Want to talk about larger animals, several easter nations use "domesticated" elephants and camels as a way of getting around. We use horses.

Great Points.

People seem to forget too that 90% of Seaworlds whales were born in captivity. The others were caught in the wild by other parks and seaworld rescued them from poor conditions in those parks (Tilly for example) I think there are 2 out of the 20 or so that were caught by Seaworld in the wild. But that was in the 1970s when we were first learning about these animals. If Seaworld today still went out and captured these animals, my opinion may be different. But because they were born in captivity, I say leave them in captivity. They get the best vet care, 24/7 attention, plenty of exercise, etc.

In all three instances the whale involved, Tilikum, drowned his victims. Also, in all three cases the victims were either in the water with the animal at the time of attack or shortly before. In a statement by SeaWorld "Trainers do interact with Tilikum from the sides of the pool, but do not enter the water with him." However, a video recorded during and after Tilikum's last show with trainer Dawn Brancheau clearly shows her intereacting with him in the water.

Read more at here:
Sea World Trainer Killed

In all three instances the whale involved, Tilikum, drowned his victims. Also, in all three cases the victims were either in the water with the animal at the time of attack or shortly before. In a statement by SeaWorld "Trainers do interact with Tilikum from the sides of the pool, but do not enter the water with him." However, a video recorded during and after Tilikum's last show with trainer Dawn Brancheau clearly shows her intereacting with him in the water.

Read more at here:
Sea World Trainer Killed

Your statement is false. Dont believe the news stations because 90% of the things their saying are incorrect. It was 2 female killer whales who were in a tank with Tilly who killed the trainer in Canada in 1991. The guy who snuck into the park died of hypothermia, not drowning. An Autopsy proved this. And now, yes Tilly can be responsible for this death. But its my personal opinion that it was a matter of him "playing" and not being aggresive.

About the video, first off, I saw it and I cant believe news stations released that. Even though it doesnt show her being pulled in, its still discusting. Just like the garbage the media is. 2nd off, yes she was in the water, but not completely in. She on a ledge in knee deep water. That would be the edge of the pool. Just like the edge of a swimming pool at your home.

Read more at here:
Sea World Trainer Killed

Nope, Haida drowned the first one, the second one died of a combination of hypothermia and possible drowning, though there was never any evidence that Tilikum had anything to do with his death. I mean, he was stoned to the point that he took off his clothes and climbed into a tank with a 12,000 pound animal in 55 degree water at night.

Is there anything in the news yet what Sea World plans to do with Tilikum? I've actually come across a lot of people who aren't surprised by this news, seeing as Tilikum is a KILLER whale...

Some readings have said his swim trunks were found at the bottom of the pool.

With seeing the video, I can see how the "first report" got out, about being dragged in by the waist. But on a phone conversation with a former employee, he said that the trainers are allowed to be on the edge. Just not fully submerged into the tank. I'm sure rules like that will be changed now.
And like a lot of animals, they will hold onto something they "love"... like a doggie that will carry around a stuffed animal. Never chewing it to shreds, but keep it where ever it goes. And I think that's part of the case with Tili. He didn't know she was dead or he was harming her, but wanted to hang on to her. If not, he could've just dropped her anywhere along the way to the other tank.

Is there anything in the news yet what Sea World plans to do with Tilikum? I've actually come across a lot of people who aren't surprised by this news, seeing as Tilikum is a KILLER whale...

Sea World has no plans to DO anything with this whale. No plans to move, release or "retire" the whale. They do plan to modify the safety guidelines.

From what I heard, he is staying at Seaworld. I believe this is the right thing to do. Im sure added safety procedures will be put into place.

I did see on the Seaworld website that the Believe shows will resume on Saturday. But Dine with Shamu is suspended until further notice.

Some readings have said his swim trunks were found at the bottom of the pool.

With seeing the video, I can see how the "first report" got out, about being dragged in by the waist. But on a phone conversation with a former employee, he said that the trainers are allowed to be on the edge. Just not fully submerged into the tank. I'm sure rules like that will be changed now.
And like a lot of animals, they will hold onto something they "love"... like a doggie that will carry around a stuffed animal. Never chewing it to shreds, but keep it where ever it goes. And I think that's part of the case with Tili. He didn't know she was dead or he was harming her, but wanted to hang on to her. If not, he could've just dropped her anywhere along the way to the other tank.

I agree with you. Tilly doesnt understand how big he is. And that humans cant hold their breath as long as he can. He doesnt understand his own strength. Thats the main reason no one goes into the water with him. If they believed he was agressive they wouldnt even allow the trainers to get on the side of the pool with him. Obviously things may change now. But I do think that Tilly was playing.

I was there earlier today. And I really do feel sorry for the people that got stuck standing in front of Shamu stadium. I know people can be so cruel and rude, and they just have to stand there and let it roll off. And then there's the annoying people that "think" they'll get answers by being obnoxious. Same thing happened at Disney in July...
They also kept the sky tower closed today. I'll definatly be glad to see the show resume, and to see Tilikum out performing.

I wasn't planning on going Saturday, but I do plan on being there on Wenesday. Although the website is not showing the correct info... So I guess we'll see if it'll go on.

I also agree that Tili thought he was in play mode with Dawn. This was truly a tragic accident!!! As for the man that was a dumba** that went into Sea World AFTER closing. Sorry, that is his own fault & there is there evidence that Tili killed this man? The pic below is proof that there is indeed LOVE between the trainer & the whale. They LOVE their jobs & these whales form a bond with their trainers as any of our own household pets form with us.

FYI Good Morning America is showing a video right now & she was in a slideout that was 4 in deep. Former trainer said Dawn may have broken the protocal.

I am not sure if this is Dawn in photo?
akbsrr.jpg

Seaworld is having a press conference today.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Dawn's family and her Seaworld family.

:hug:

If this was the first accident i could understand, but from what i am hearing , this is the 3rd person killed from this whale, don't u think something should be done about this.
I know i want be going back, because they should respect their employees better than this. She probaly had no choice , she was doing her job.
I Pray that this family can get through this, and i hope Seaworld pays deeply for this. It's uncall for to have such Vicious animal on display.

vicious animal on display? ***?! it a wild animal!

you think that it wanted to be captured then end up doing tricks in the space that is the same size as a bath tub???

doing tricks in the space that is the same size as a bath tub???

Not quite sure where this "bath tub" comparison is coming from. I would love to see the bathtubs you people apparently have in your homes. I think it would be more like comparing it to us in a large swimming pool.

Not quite sure where this "bath tub" comparison is coming from. I would love to see the bathtubs you people apparently have in your homes. I think it would be more like comparing it to us in a large swimming pool.

'us people' in the uk have mainly tiny bathubes - all i am saying is the holding pens they put them are tiny - just making a point that the area that the whales are keep in are very very small.
thats the comparison i was making.

sorry if people didn't understand where i was coming from.

'us people' in the uk have mainly tiny bathubes - all i am saying is the holding pens they put them are tiny - just making a point that the area that the whales are keep in are very very small.
thats the comparison i was making.

sorry if people didn't understand where i was coming from.

They still think we all live in castles supping tea and so probably dint realise it was written metaphorically.

Dawn Brancheau was my cousin's wife. Though I'm sure some of her family have conflicted feelings about Tillikum (I'm one of them), I don't think there's one person who knew and loved Dawn who thinks he should be destroyed. Dawn loved and respected the orcas, and always put their welfare first. Before heading down to Orlando for my last WDW trip, I sent Dawn an e-mail asking if my orca-adoring friend could possibly meet one of them. This was her response:
I don't know if you can imagine the number of requests I get like this. I really just have to draw the line somewhere to keep the amount of PR interactions under control and keep us the best balance with the animals. I ask my team to do the same.

It was a terribly tragic accident, but I believe it was truly an accident. Even the most well-trained person can make an error at work, whether it's accidentally deleting a file, failing to switch a monorail track, or laying down on a slide out that you usually stand on. In the best circumstances, you might get a jolt and resolve to be more alert. In the worst, someone can get injured or killed. Dawn was not actually in the tank, but she did break protocol by lying down instead of standing or kneeling. I think the error shows that Dawn loved and trusted Tilly enough to do something out of the ordinary while she was playing with him. She couldn't predict that something as silly as her ponytail sliding to a different position could result in her death. Nor could she or Tilly control his reaction to this fluke accident.

Dawn will be greatly missed by everyone who knew her. She was a very special person, a great wife and a much-loved aunt, sister, daughter, cousin and friend. I wish my cousin and the rest of Dawn's family could have been spared all of the speculation, exploitation and above all, the insults aimed at Dawn on certain sites, but this is the nature of this kind of tragedy. All those who care about her as a person and don't regard her as a news item can do is send our love, sympathy and prayers.

Thoughts and prays to Dawns family and friends.

She died doing what she loved, she may be gone but she will not be forgotten.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter