OMG! Disney Instead of Camping? Oh Heck Yeah! F&W Fest 9/10-9/15 Trip! (UPDATE 8/18)

Slightly off-topic / life update.

A couple of years ago I purchased the LGG4. I didn’t really want to at the time but my phone had totally died. The hubby was between jobs, money was bad. I was so stressed an upset about the timing of needing a new phone.

I did it on the payment plan through my carrier and hoped for the best (Hubby did have a job offer that was looking ok)

However, money being tight I did not get the insurance.

One day after the
warranty expired it developed the “Bootloop” issue.

s-l300.jpg

My carrier would not help. The sold me a $50 go phone to hold me over in the mean time. I asked are you sure this works on a regular plan?

They said Sure! It just is a bit slow and has little memory but it’s a good “Band-Aid”

I said why the heck was I not offered this as an option when I was flat broke and the hubby was out of work and I was practically crying because I really couln’t afford a new phone????

post-33868-merida-OH-NO-gif-WHY-Disney-Pr-MuG4-1.gif

I digress

I contacted LG who would not honor any warranties, but LG said that I could send it to them and they would give me an estimate on repairs which I was not obligated to do but if I didn’t there was a $50 service fee.

Except, this boot loop issue was a known manufacturing Flaw on Their end.

maxresdefault.jpg

A friend found me info on a class action lawsuit to join in on. Oh. I did.

A month or two latter I bought an Unlocked Asus ZenFone for $179. Keep in mind I still had like 17 payments left on the LG (known henceforth as the Brick)

The class action didn’t go through and my lawyer still pursued my case as an individual on contingency. Lastest update the offered me a $100 cash settlement or a $200 rebate off my next LG <eyeroll>

FAST FORWARD to this month.

My power button has stop working on the cheap Asus (pity too because otherwise I loved this phone). But it’s still on and as long as it doesn’t die I figure I can use it a bit longer. Then the volume button also died. The same button is also the zoom feature on the phone.

Not happy. (not ticked either because 13 months out of a $179 is better that the 12 months I got from a $900 phone.)

Now I still can’t get one from my carrier because I am STILL paying for the BRICK! (2 more months to go)

I don’t want to buy another out of pocket!

ANYWAY I am saving my cash for Disney right now, last thing I need is another out of pocket expense on a bloody phone.

DEEP BREATHS – ok…

rafiki-meditating-canvas.jpg

......I figure if my phone completely dies I still have the little go-phone until I pay off the Brick.

QUE the mail on Sunday. It’s a check from my Lawyer. $400! Wow. I mean it’s not the cost of the Brick but it’s way better than I expected. At this point I was only pursuing it on principle.

Anyway it is Enough to pay off the other phone so I can get another on a payment plan (with some left), or just buy another cheap un-locked phone (and have no payment for awhile)

Not sure which I am doing yet but I am happy not to have to dig into my Disney funds to fix the situation!!!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you've had so many phone issues! But that's great that you were able to get something back out of it!

So I discussed our plans with “S”.

Actually, I made him read the itinerary post. ;-)

For the most part he doesn’t care and pretty much trusts me.

He’s just there for the food.

giantfeast.png

Anyway I discussed the change in the Plans for our night at Boma. He has no particular enthusiasm for the meal (lack of knowledge, he just doesn’t know much about it) but agreed that cramming in a Table service meal AND a park might make us too rushed on arrival day.

So I have decided to drop the Monday reservation and keep the Friday one (make the last Dinner the Good one) Also it is for 5:45pm which gives us time after to hit up one of the Fireworks shows or something should we wish.

I am still leaving everything else the same for now. While it is tradition for me to do MK first I think it will be cool to go Explore AK in the Evening, especially Pandora. Now lets hope I can get FOP or NRJ for that evening.

3fda650b88c4c9f38953b8b5ed3edb73.jpg

I figure we can hit counter service instead (maybe Satu'li Canteen) that night.

I am actually very happy about this change. The more I thought about my arrival day plans the more I seemed to be stressing about the time-line. I just don't want to do that to myself on vacation.

This looks amazing, so excited for you! Awesome with getting the free dinning. While many say it doesn't save them money, when you dont pay a penny more and get free food I dont see how it can hurt!! Plus you can exchange a lot of those quick service meals for snack credits to use at the booth; last year we were able to exchange 1 qs for 3 snacks so many booths we tried one of everything and made meals out of that! (not sure if that conversion will be the same without dessert now but hopefully!) The only thing I feel i have read and would double check would be that the kiosks stay open during EMH, i feel like last year we were blindsided when on a weeknight we stopped to watch illuminations and then all the food booths were closed when the park didnt close for another 2 hours with EMH!

Awesome with getting the free dinning. While many say it doesn't save them money, when you dont pay a penny more and get free food I dont see how it can hurt!!

I priced out the room a couple of times and the only other "room discount" I found would have saved me $80 total. So the free Dining is worth WAY more than that $80!

The only thing I feel i have read and would double check would be that the kiosks stay open during EMH, i feel like last year we were blindsided when on a weeknight we stopped to watch illuminations and then all the food booths were closed when the park didnt close for another 2 hours with EMH!

Oh my! I never have thought about that! I will have to look deeper into that. Thank you so much for the potential heads up!
We'd probably still go the same night, but good to know we might want to grab a last snack/drink BEFORE the show! It would be disappointing had we not know.

Real life update:

Last night I was scrolling the DIS.. chillin with my cat and my sister calls.
Her apartment building is on fire.

I live a mile down the street so I rushed.
She had just gotten home and came home to a blazing building. She was fine.
Her cat was till in there though. The apartment above hers was ablaze.

After an hour they got the blaze under control and we managed to get the firemen to rescue her kitty!
kitty rescue.JPG

But her place is a total loss. Smoke and water damage.. the ceiling caved in from the water used to extinguish the fire.

P_20180508_203106[1].jpg

That's the bedroom...

Everything
is gone. (we managed to grab a few handfuls of clothes before they made us leave again because more of the ceiling was coming down).
Kitty and sister are safe now...
I have no idea what's going to happen in the near future but for now I have house guests (sadly no spare room) The Irony is that she lived with me before I got married and my son now lives in "her room". We have a small town-home so right now she will be a couch surfer.

What really sucks is that we just moved her into that apartment in February when her roommate moved to England.

Anyway she is safe and I am sure we will get it all worked out eventually.

Last edited:

Just binge read your trip report and wow--your trip sounds awesome but I'm so sorry about your sister! I'm glad she's safe though--that must have been so scary!

Your plans sound great--F&W for the win! And your husband sounds like mine--doesn't much care for the planning, just lets me go and trusts me. Oh well, more planning fun for me!

GAH! So the only reservation I could get for BOG is breakfast on our first morning.
I just checked out the menu and prices and it SO does not look worth it to me. Is it worth it?
I REALLY want to see the inside, and as far as I know, eating there is the only way. However I really don't think the breakfast prices look like it's wort it just to see.
I will hold of cancelling for now but does anyone have and feedback for me and or better suggestions?

BOG is totally worth seeing, especially for a BatB fan! The theming is AMAZING. The breakfast isn't worth $25 or so, but you could just order a cupcake (lots of people do...ignore the posts here about how that's "cheating" or whatever--if Disney didn't want you to, they'd change breakfast to prix fixe and they haven't) using your FD snack credits. It is also a *fantastic* value for the QS dining credit, if you do decide to get the whole breakfast. Or split one breakfast for the two of you?

Separately, if you use the Touring Plans reservation finder (which you can use for free with a basic account), you'd likely be able to score a lunch ADR (which is also QS credits!) or even dinner (though it would be the new prix fixe dinner and we have hardly any info about that yet). Just google "touring plans basic account", set up an account, and then use their reservation finder to have it look for ADRs at BOG at the days/times you want and it will email and text you when it finds an open reservation. No guarantee you'll get it, but it's certainly helpful. I used it to score a dinner at BOG on our first trip, when we booked only about 5 weeks in advance. :)

Either way, definitely keep an ADR there--you'll LOVE it!

I'm so sorry to hear about your sisters apartment! My SIL and her family lost everything in a fire several months, including 3 cats. :( It was devastating, so I'm really happy to hear that her cat was saved.

Just binge read your trip report and wow--your trip sounds awesome but I'm so sorry about your sister! I'm glad she's safe though--that must have been so scary!
Welcome aboard!:welcome:

It was indeed very scary but I am just glad she and the kitty are safe. WE have retrieved what we can and her complex is settling her into a new apartment in the next couple of weeks.

BOG is totally worth seeing, especially for a BatB fan! The theming is AMAZING. The breakfast isn't worth $25 or so, but you could just order a cupcake (lots of people do...ignore the posts here about how that's "cheating" or whatever--if Disney didn't want you to, they'd change breakfast to prix fixe and they haven't) using your FD snack credits. It is also a *fantastic* value for the QS dining credit, if you do decide to get the whole breakfast. Or split one breakfast for the two of you?

I am MUCH more confident about my BOG breakfast now that I am on Quick Service Dining. I think it will be a good value for our credits. I just wasn't sure about the OOP cost. I still might look for a lunch but it's not a big deal if I stay with breakfast now.

Separately, if you use the Touring Plans reservation finder (which you can use for free with a basic account), you'd likely be able to score a lunch ADR (which is also QS credits!) or even dinner (though it would be the new prix fixe dinner and we have hardly any info about that yet). Just google "touring plans basic account", set up an account, and then use their reservation finder to have it look for ADRs at BOG at the days/times you want and it will email and text you when it finds an open reservation. No guarantee you'll get it, but it's certainly helpful. I used it to score a dinner at BOG on our first trip, when we booked only about 5 weeks in advance. :)

Thank you for the tip! I will use that to see if I might score the Ohana dinner I have been want but was unable to secure!

I'm so sorry to hear about your sisters apartment! My SIL and her family lost everything in a fire several months, including 3 cats. :( It was devastating, so I'm really happy to hear that her cat was saved.

I am so sorry to hear that. My best friend's apartment burned a couple of years ago. They had two cats and only one survived. It was tragic.

We are blessed that all my Sister lost was belongings and (temporarily) a place to live.
The good news is that her work has now put her up in a Very nice pet friendly hotel until she moves into a new place. (Insurance would have covered one but not as nice and her employers want to do something to help.

I did not get the job. I just hate this job so bad....

giphy.gif

Ah well, at least it pays well enough to go to Disney in September

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter