Omnipod Placement Question About Rides

curious_st

Earning My Ears
My first trip is coming up in early December (yay!). I have used Omnipod for a few years now. My preferred pod placement is on my right thigh, generally on the front to the outside of the thigh. I am concerned about this pod placement and ride restraints. I can just imagine lap bars catching on the pod, and ripping them off. I am a large tall woman, and I suspect that I will be packed in tightly on many rides.

Where would you recommend pod placement as to not interfere with ride restraints? Also, should I be worried about static zapping my pods on rides?

The only places I've had ride restraints hit my omnipods, that I can remember, is my abdomen, and I've never had one ripped off at WDW. I rip them off at home from time to time, but not on vacation. I've never had any problem with pod malfunction due to static or anything else on rides. I love my omnipods!!!!

So I don't wear an Omnipod, but am a large, tall dude so I thought I'd add a few thoughts. Yes, you will be crammed in tightly on a number of rides, but I don't think you will encounter many (if any) issues. The two rides where you may encounter issues are: Expedition Everest (in AK) and Seven Dwarves Mine Train (in MK). I fit okay on Expedition Everest, but because of the width of my legs 7DMT is a very tight squeeze. On the day you visit Magic Kingdom, you might want to place the device in a different location.

I don't wear one either but would second concern for Seven Dwarfs. It's pretty constraining on your legs. Here's a picture.
iu

I don't have insulin issues but have been a test dummy for medicine administering devices in the past. Looking at your available sites, I would intuitively select the one on the lower back as my first choice. It is an area that falls into an ergonomic void in most furniture. Maybe less so in the more form fitting ride seats but even so any pressure on the device will be smooth supporting pressure and unlikely to snag the big insulin sticker.

With the amount of sliding into and out of seats and rides and the amount of overhead restraints I would make the calf location and arm locations my last pick. But reality is often not intuitive. See about getting Rx for additional supply and work this problem empirically. Try one way and if it's a problem, take it off and try something new.

Good luck.

My son also prefers his thigh for his omnipods and has never had one ripped off on a ride at Disney or any other amusement park and he is 6'3". I would worry more about heat/sweat and having the adhesive not stick as well. Make sure you use a good barrier wipe. Have fun and don't worry too much about the pod, you will be fine. As always, just make sure you have back up pods and pens for emergencies and by all means keep the PDM safe and DRY!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter