• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

? on best way to handle this @ Vero

pharmlivin

Mouseketeer
DH and I are going to Vero Beach and staying somewhere other than Disney resort. I entered 4 names (ours and 2 guests) on a Disney Inn Room reservation for the same time period and invited my niece and her husband to stay there. We would like to "check-in' as well just to have access to the pool and beach but we would not actually be staying in the room. I feel I should explain this to the check-in people just in case there is (heaven forbid) some kind of emergency at the resort and they need to know who is actually there and who isn't. Does anyone know what is the usual (best, most courteous) practice for this situation. Thanks in advance for any info.

IMO the best, most courteous practice is to not register as a hotel guest when you are not staying there. I am sure Disney would tell you the same thing.

In reality, what you do is your business but I wouldn't discuss it in an open forum.

But that's just me.

:earsboy: Bill

Many people on cruises book rooms for the day to get access to Atlantis water park. I don't see an issue with this, you are paying for the room. I'd let the front desk know you will be using the room during the say but will be sleeping elsewhere. Is there a policy I'm not aware of? Would be different if you weren't booking a room or were trying to get access for more than capacity...

If I understand you correctly, you're buying a hotel stay for four people, but only two people will be using the facilities at night (roughly half of the time). I don't see an issue with the practice.

What type of emergency are you concerned about? Natural disaster, terrorist attack or civil uprising are the only things I can think of where a head count is critical. In those cases, if it occurs where you & your DH are staying - your niece knows and can inform authorities. If it occurs where she is staying - you know and can inform authorities.

Is there a way to list your niece and her DH as the primaries on the reservation, with you & your DH as the 'guests'? That might make it less confusing to staff. If anything comes up, they will contact your niece and she can contact you. :)

There is nothing "illegal" about registering and not staying. That said, the chance of the front desk refusing to register you if you notify them that you actually aren't staying there, is about 99.999% higher than the chance of an emergency where they need total guest head count during your stay. So if you're going to do this, don't tell them.

The points are yours, you paid for them. So don't feel bad if you consider it a good value to pay for someone else's hotel stay and just use the pool- as long as you fit within the guest limit for the selected room type. Just don't announce it.

I never, not in a million years, thought this question would not be suitable for discussion in an open forum as a pp suggested., Why would Disney object to someone paying for the room and then not fully using it? If anything, wouldn't that reduce the load on the resort , the room itself, the resort systems? The sort of "keep it to yourself" tone of some of the responses make it seem like this is an inherently unethical thing to do...did I miss something?

I never, not in a million years, thought this would be question not suitable for discussion in an open forum as a pp suggested., Why would Disney object to someone paying for the room and then not fully using it? If anything, wouldn't that reduce the load on the resort , the room itself, the resort systems? The sort of "keep it to yourself" tone of some of the responses make it seem like this is an inherently unethical thing to do...did I miss something?

There is nothing wrong with what you are doing since you are not exceeding 4 guests using the pool (the occupancy of the room).

. I entered 4 names (ours and 2 guests) on a Disney Inn Room reservation for the same time period and invited my niece and her husband to stay there.

Just to clarify the only people staying at the resort is the niece and her husband? When I read this it sounded like there would be 2 people PLUS your niece and her husband. If that is the case you would not be able to use the pool as only 4 people can use the resort as that is the room limits. IMHO if it is just your niece and husband, keep all 4 or you as registered occupants and sleep wherever you want.

DH and I are going to Vero Beach and staying somewhere other than Disney resort. I entered 4 names (ours and 2 guests) on a Disney Inn Room reservation for the same time period and invited my niece and her husband to stay there. We would like to "check-in' as well just to have access to the pool and beach but we would not actually be staying in the room. I feel I should explain this to the check-in people just in case there is (heaven forbid) some kind of emergency at the resort and they need to know who is actually there and who isn't. Does anyone know what is the usual (best, most courteous) practice for this situation. Thanks in advance for any info.

So, someone will be using the room? They are on the reservation? I don't see any problem. I know people here have booked a WDW reservation for X nights, but stayed somewhere else for 1 night, just to keep the same room reservation.

IMO, it will be nice to have the room available for changing, showering, so as not to get your car wet. Expensive luxury perhaps!

I never, not in a million years, thought this question would not be suitable for discussion in an open forum as a pp suggested., Why would Disney object to someone paying for the room and then not fully using it? If anything, wouldn't that reduce the load on the resort , the room itself, the resort systems? The sort of "keep it to yourself" tone of some of the responses make it seem like this is an inherently unethical thing to do...did I miss something?

There is absolutely nothing wrong or unethical with your plan. You are paying for the room so it is yours to use as you please. You are not exceeding the room occupancy so your plan is completely "legal".

If it was me, I would just register, get my 4 keys and not mention anything...not because there is anything wrong with what you are doing, but because I really don't think they will care.

we did something simmilar at the BWVs in may:
DD & i were staying in a studio, and my dad really wanted to see the BW he had so many great memories of my mom & our family at (dad had finally come home after being in & out of hospitals - unexplained brain infection that caused damage - for almost a year, when mom unexpectedly passed away).

DB brought dad & they stayed at a marriot, visiting us a few times.
i added them to the room (staying within occupancy), so they would be able to use the pool, go to our room as needed, park in the main lot.

i felt rather uncomfortable, so told the FD - they had no problem with it.
btw, it was wonderful seeing my dad's face light up as he spoke about how he & mom danced at ATL, swam in the pool, walked the BW.....those memories mean the world to him :lovestruc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter