On Course Nutrition

jbsquash

Earning My Ears
Looking forward to my first marathon at Disney this January. Now that the local race scene is almost over with temperatures dropping it is time to transition over to the on course nutrition for Disney in training.
Does anyone know the flavour of Powerade that is generally served? I believe the sport beans are usually the mix flavour pack if I have seen the packaging correctly.

Powerade flavor seems to change every year. Yes it is the mixed flavors for sports beans.

Might be different for the marathon, but Princess half gives out a tiny packet of them. Tiny.

Bring your own nutrition, IMO. Things change; another company used to be the nutrition sponsor, now it’s jellybelly. Don’t rely on the course to provide what you can use or even to have it by the time you get there (twice ice done a half there when they were out of what was then some sort of gel by the time I got there, and I was nowhere near last). And again, it’s a tiny packet, at least for the half. Inadequate if you go by suggested serving size and training with a bigger packet.

Don’t rely on the course to provide what you can use or even to have it by the time you get there (twice ice done a half there when they were out of what was then some sort of gel by the time I got there, and I was nowhere near last). And again, it’s a tiny packet, at least for the half. Inadequate if you go by suggested serving size and training with a bigger packet.
I have experienced the same thing at runDisney races. They are almost always really good about having enough, but sometimes you can get the one time where they run out. But I've always been fine because I carry my own nutrition and hydration just in case.

I also learned in marathon training last year that my fueling for half marathons would not cut it during the marathon. I was struggling with energy using the same strategy I had always used for half training. Turns out I was underfueling compared to the guidelines. I didn't feel it in half marathons, but it took a toll in marathon training. Fortunately, I learned this in training and figured out how to correct it before the race.

I also learned in marathon training last year that my fueling for half marathons would not cut it during the marathon. I was struggling with energy using the same strategy I had always used for half training. Turns out I was underfueling compared to the guidelines. I didn't feel it in half marathons, but it took a toll in marathon training. Fortunately, I learned this in training and figured out how to correct it before the race.

+1 on differences between half and full. My experience has been there's a exponential amount of energy exertion/depletion late in the race with the inflection point around Mile 16-18.

Also, bananas with cherry ice Powerade (or whatever that white stuff was) at Mile 19 is a HORRIBLE combination for me!! !No me gusta! 🤢🤮

I bring my own stuff for Disney half’s and fulls. Tailwind in my hydration pack is enough for me during the half (I do take the jellybeans though for the park later that day). For the full, I also bring honey stinger chews with me and will take a banana if I feel like it. That way the only thing I’m really relying on is water.

I bring my own stuff for Disney half’s and fulls. Tailwind in my hydration pack is enough for me during the half (I do take the jellybeans though for the park later that day). For the full, I also bring honey stinger chews with me and will take a banana if I feel like it. That way the only thing I’m really relying on is water.

Big fan of Tailwind and I really like the new cola flavor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter