On the (non) use of scooters and other positive things I saw guests do on my last trip

Bill West

Earning My Ears
Just deleting. I didn't want to offend people. I thought I was pretty clear and not judging everyone that uses them (or even very many at all).

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but as a veteran with multiple invisible disabilities who truly needs mobility assistance, I find this post in poor taste. I certainly look healthy from the outside, and I've gotten plenty of bad looks using my manual wheelchair on past trips. I suffered great physical problems on my last trip trying to get around and I've resigned myself to the fact that I really need an ECV next time.

It's disheartening to know that people will be watching me and passing judgments on whether I truly need it.

I don't often comment,,,, however I think your post is in very poor taste.
My mom always said..........................
"There go I but for the grace of god".
"Judge yourself before others"
She was a great mom.,,,mobility aids and all.
I can't believe the only positive thing you have to write about is your perceived view on people whom you thought could have used assistance in some way and they didn't.
And in some weird way this pleased you?
To quote you
"That's just what I happened to notice I guess."
Perhaps this post is a
TROLL
Troll-128.png

Regards Mel

Last edited:
I can't find anything positive to say about your post. Implying someone should limp around the park instead of using an ECV when they need one? And that it is good someone with a cane refuses a seat when offered? While it may be looked on as good manners, what if he fell? Someone needing help with balance and walking probably shouldn't be standing on a moving bus.

I'm afraid what you saw could be people who didn't want the judgement cast on them by some, so they refused to use a scooter to make their day easier, and instead limped and suffered pain instead. Not anything that would make me smile.

I can't find anything positive to say about your post. Implying someone should limp around the park instead of using an ECV when they need one? And that it is good someone with a cane refuses a seat when offered? While it may be looked on as good manners, what if he fell? Someone needing help with balance and walking probably shouldn't be standing on a moving bus.

I'm afraid what you saw could be people who didn't want the judgement cast on them by some, so they refused to use a scooter to make their day easier, and instead limped and suffered pain instead. Not anything that would make me smile.

I didn't think about it this way. Thank you for the new perspective

I'm sorry, but as a veteran with multiple invisible disabilities who truly needs mobility assistance, I find this post in poor taste. I certainly look healthy from the outside, and I've gotten plenty of bad looks using my manual wheelchair on past trips. I suffered great physical problems on my last trip trying to get around and I've resigned myself to the fact that I really need an ECV next time.

It's disheartening to know that people will be watching me and passing judgments on whether I truly need it.

Thank you for your service and I'm sorry if I offended you. Like I said in my post I believe most people that use them should be using them and I do understand that not all disabilities are physically visible (as I stated in my original post).

You are probably right though. My post was in poor taste and I apologize for seeking to group all ECV users together. I was not in any way trying to do that.

Just to clarify....i was not in any way trying to say that people who use ECVs are bad people or doing anything wrong.

I apologize for coming off this way and genuinely feel bad for offending some people.

Conments like yours are the reason some people who do need one are too proud or embarrassed to use one. My husband is a disabled Veteran and has severe pain in his feet and ankles after about 20 minutes on his feet. For 15 years he has dealt with this with no relief from many different doctors. He is going to be miserable on our trip in June and wont use an ECV because his disability is not visible and people act like you. :-(

I agree with this.

Just because someone doesn't look like they need an ECV or a wheelchair (or that seat on the bus, or that handicapped parking spot), doesn't mean that they don't need it. What does someone with severe balance issues 'look like'? Can you tell by looking that someone has back pain? Can you see heart problems?

I'm not judging people in ECVs. I'm silently saying a prayer of thanks that I'm healthy enough to not need one.

Conments like yours are the reason some people who do need one are too proud or embarrassed to use one. My husband is a disabled Veteran and has severe pain in his feet and ankles after about 20 minutes on his feet. For 15 years he has dealt with this with no relief from many different doctors. He is going to be miserable on our trip in June and wont use an ECV because his disability is not visible and people act like you. :-(

Oh man, I'm sorry. I understand. Your husband sounds just like my dad. He'll go through the whole day in pain simply to try to pretend that all is fine when it is not. :worried:

Oh man, I'm sorry. I understand. Your husband sounds just like my dad. He'll go through the whole day in pain simply to try to pretend that all is fine when it is not. :worried:

Ha, Marines. Take 2 Ibuprofen and suck it up buttercup.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter