Once Upon a dream TR: Intimate WP/ Citricos Chef's Domain/ Grand 1/ Tour/ COMPLETE

ForKeeps

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone :wave:

I'm back from a trip of a lifetime and so excited to write my first trip report.
I promise to be as honest as possible being as tactful as possible given that this is a public forum. If you want any more details about a specific vendor please feel free to PM me, and I'll be happy to share.

Because I meant to do a planning journal, but never got around to it...here is my list of people involved:
Wedding Co-ordinator: Karen, On-site Co-ordinator: A different Karen
Steaming & Tux Rental: Carolyn Allens
Hair: Anna, Makeover Majic
Make-up: myself -- I treated myself to lessons & splurged on cosmetics
Photography: Randy Chapman
Videography: A Magic Moment
Dinner: Citrcos Chef's Domain
Special Treat: Wishes from the Grand 1

It was a magical day with lots of pixie dust along the way, so I hope you'll enjoy my TR. When I read trip reports I did so both because I was eager to share in the excitement of everyone's big day, but also because I was looking for information for my own planning.

So to kick things off...and as a testiment to the number of times I watched (and listened to) Stacy's top 7, here are the top 7 tips I have for any bride out there.

7. Rev. Jack Day really knows what he's doing. He has quite a bit of experience with the DFTW. But he does have a certain expectation of what will happen...and I've read from TRs in the past that brides were not always fond of his quirks. I was prepared to let him run the show...and it all worked out delightfully.

6. The 2:30 time slot for intimates is just perfect. By the time the ceremony was over there was just enough time to have pictures taken before heading to a 6pm seating, which was over just in time to board the Grand 1 at 8:30.

5. If you can fit everyone on the Grand 1 it's fantastic. It was a huge hit with everyone, and it enabled me to stay in the dress a little longer.

4. The Chef's Domain at Citricos is awesome for intimates with 14 or less people. When I booked I couldn't find much on the Chef's Domain. It was a highlight of the trip. The food was FANTASTIC and the space was perfect!

3. Anna from makeover Majic was WONDERFUL. She instantly made me feel relaxed, which is exactly what you want on your wedding day. I did not have a trial...I just had a gut feeling about Anna...and I was right. She was great!

2. Ask your co-ordinator loads of questions. Don't worry about being a nusiance. I wish I had asked more questions before I left. I should have asked what was going to happen during the day. The wedding coordinator did let me know what was going to happen....like 5 minutes before the ceremony. This really made me nervous...as you'll read in posts to come. Ask everything and anything that comes into your mind...

1. Randy Chapman is not just amazing...he's something of a phenomenon. If you can book him you should. He was the absolute best. In many cases he acted as pseudo wedding co-ordinator for me...and he made me feel like everything would be perfect. And that's not to mention the amazing photography skills he has, which, go without saying. Book him if you can...you won't be dissappointed.

Are you ready? Here I go....a trip of a lifetime....

ooh, congratulations and welcome back! :cheer2: I liked what you had to say about Randy Chapman... we have him booked for our wedding :goodvibes

Oh! I can't wait to hear everything!:wizard:

ooh, congratulations and welcome back! :cheer2: I liked what you had to say about Randy Chapman... we have him booked for our wedding :goodvibes

Oh...that's so great! Randy was the just the best! You won't be disappointed. It's funny because I wouldn't have known to book him but for this forum. I just can't say enough good things about Randy. I know you're in good hands!

Forkeeps- you're so creative doing your own top 7! I can tell Im going to like this TR :) Glad to hear you day went well. I cannot wait to hear more and see Randy's beautiful pictures!

Okay--- the trip report Ive been waiting to read for weeks now!!!:woohoo:

I must agree- I wouldnt have known Randy if it werent for the community here on the wedding and honeymoon board. I actually stumbled upon this board while typing disney wedding related info into the search engine. Im so glad I did-- and so glad you came here too-- Randy made our day so much more... as I can tell he did with you. So glad you took the advice of the boards and went with him!!:cheer2:

I cannot wait to hear about it all... everything!! Ill be a top reader... so get ready, okay??

Now go on with this trip of a lifetime....:hug: .....:hourglass

ForKeeps - I know what you mean about Randy. And I third the motion that I would have never know about him without these boards. Maggie, I too ran across these boards by accident. Boy, am I glad I did. I don't know how I would have managed to plan everything without the help of these boards. :)
Can't wait to read your TR.... you have me sitting on the edge of my seat...:goodvibes :hourglass

I heard the shower turn on around 3:50 AM the day of departure. We took the Niagara Airbus from St.Catharines CANADA, to Buffalo NY. I'm so lucky that I'm close enought o fly out of Buffalo. Pearson airport (Toronto) has the highest taxes in the WORLD (which certainly adds up when you're booking 6 tickets).

We were scheduled to fly Delta at 6:30 AM, with a connection in Atlanta. The flight attendants on the first plane we boarded were more than happy to hang my dress in the closet....if there was any room. The flight attendant shrugged her shoulders saying, that they were sorry but the closet was full of the first class passengers' coat. That was fine with me. I had heard how wonderful Carolyn Allen's was and had an appointment scheduled. I happily stuffed my dress in the overhead compartment (taking both my overhead space and my brothers).

The layover in Atlanta was reasonably short, and when boarding the second plane the flight attendant was happy to hang my dress in the closet. It actually worked out well because there was lots of room in the overhead compartment in flight 1, but not on flight 2.
DisneyWeddingTrip027.jpg

I was so excited to land in Orlando. I must have half run to the Magical Express. We were headed to the Port Orleans French Quarter. The same place where DBF proposed 8 months earlier.

I love the feeling of checking into your room. The first day of Disney is so full of happiness, with a whole vacation laying ahead of you. I had a plan though...I wanted them to know that DF and I were there to get married. So while he gave them our information I happily held my dress out for the CM, beaming every minute. I had booked a standard room, and was happy to receive the accommodation, but also had heard of instances where there were upgrades. I was nervous when the CM disappeared into the back for what seemed like 10+ minutes, I was afraid we might be bumped to another resort, which would lead to headaches for the wedding day.

When he returned there was a little bit of pixie dust for us. pixiedust: The CM said that he tried to find us a king sized room, but it was a busy time and there was none available. However, they did upgrade us to a water view, which overlooks the Sassagoula River! How lucky for us. Now, the water view, while lovely, isn't something that I would book as a special treat, but it certainly was a nice gesture.
DisneyWeddingTrip054.jpg
DisneyWeddingTrip055.jpg

After unpacking we were off to Epcot.
DisneyPhotoImage251.jpg

The park was extremely busy, Soarin' had a 90 min standby wait and there were no more fastpasses to be handed out. Future World was just jammed packed. We headed for the new Nemo ride, because we knew there wasn't a fastpass for it. It was a good attraction. DF really liked how they imposed the nemo fish into the actual fish tanks.
DisneyWeddingTrip079.jpg

After waiting (far too long) for Honey I Shrunk the Kids, DF and I gave up on Future World and headed for the alcoholic haven of the World Showcase.

After grabbing a margarita in Mexico, we spent quite a bit of time in Italy sampling the wines they had to offer.
DisneyWeddingTrip097.jpg

I grew up in the heart of wine country in Ontario -- Niagara, and now one of the things that DH and I love to do is to visit our local wineries and learn about different wines.

We much preferred the Italian pavillion for wine flights to the French pavilion, but only because you seemed to get more wine in the flight in Italy. :lmao:
DisneyWeddingTrip110.jpg

Soon after it began to rain. It was a nice warm rain, but rain nonetheless.
DisneyWeddingTrip112.jpg

We decided to use our first counter service of our Disney dining plan at the Yorkshire Fish Shop for Fish & Chips. DF was born in Bath, England, so I thought it was appropriate that we spend some time at the English pavilion.
DisneyWeddingTrip115.jpg

We were waiting to meet my parents and brother for Illuminations, and had quite a bit of time to kill. We sauntered around to Canada and pondered going into the movie, but decided that the years of history and geography were more than enough and decided to wait to see more of the Canadian pavilion until later in our trip.

Watching Illuminations with everyone was the perfect was to end a great first day. Sure, we were tired, and we were damp, but it was the first day of Disney dang it and nothing would get us down.

We headed back to our beautiful resort and fell into bed.

Sorry about the size of the pictures everyone. Photobucket is being finicky. I spent hours last night rotating and resizing and the photos look fine in photobucket, but the edits aren't showing up here.

Forkeeps- you're so creative doing your own top 7!

Oh thanks :) I wanted to be able to summarize everything I learned for everyone else, and with the number of times I watched Stacy I thought it was fitting.

Thanks for reading along...I'm just so excited to get to actually write a TR. I absolutely love reading TRs.

Okay--- the trip report Ive been waiting to read for weeks now!!!:woohoo:

I must agree- I wouldnt have known Randy if it werent for the community here on the wedding and honeymoon board. I actually stumbled upon this board while typing disney wedding related info into the search engine. Im so glad I did-- and so glad you came here too-- Randy made our day so much more... as I can tell he did with you. So glad you took the advice of the boards and went with him!!:cheer2:

I cannot wait to hear about it all... everything!! Ill be a top reader... so get ready, okay??

Now go on with this trip of a lifetime....:hug: .....:hourglass

:yay: Awesome -- it's so great to have encouragement to get on with this TR :) I've been meaning to do things like -- you know the mountain of laundry we have after 10 days away :laundy: and now I feel completely justified in writing another installment instead :thumbsup2

ForKeeps - I know what you mean about Randy. And I third the motion that I would have never know about him without these boards. Maggie, I too ran across these boards by accident. Boy, am I glad I did. I don't know how I would have managed to plan everything without the help of these boards. :)
Can't wait to read your TR.... you have me sitting on the edge of my seat...:goodvibes :hourglass

Diane -- I'm so glad you posted. I've been reading your TR too...I hadn't gotten a chance to post because all my login information is on my personal laptop, and I was reading along at my parent's house. You were such a stunning bride...and your little girl is an absolute doll. Your day just looked perfect.

It's funny how stumbling across a message board can have such a huge effect on everything. I shake my head to think how the day would have gone without Randy....and I just never would have known about him without this board. Heck...I booked Randy before I had a wedding date...boy am I glad that I did.

haha-- YAY For Day one.

First let me address--- I think (and there are those that vote right there with me).... that Stacy has been doing the top 7 for far too long. I think she should kick her Disney career... and let someone else do it (Maybe even Johnny Depp?? I might not mind watching that over and over and over again!).

Also, I am very glad that you got day 1 posted. You all look soo cute!! What did you think about the movie in Canada?? While ive never been to Canada... Ive watched that same film my entire life. Is it pretty true to life?? I hear they are doing some updating to the films-- we should see.

Your DH is from Bath? I travelled there a couple of years ago!! (I even touched the water-- lol a no, no!:ssst: ).

Yay for the room upgrade!! DH actually came out and asked if we could have one at the WL (Totally not the etiquette hes been taught from a very young age... but-- c'mon.. they could do SOMETHING nice for the brides coming in-- considering we are helping them make a paycheck, and bringing people in for this occasion- hence.. making Disney more money!). We didnt get any spectacular upgrade-- but if you check the price difference per night-- it really adds up (which is why we normally just go with the standard room).

Glad Epcot treated you well, minus the rain. Can't wait to hear more...

When I was a little girl my dad had always told me stories about how there were tunnels underneath the Magic Kingdom. And every time we went to Disney World he would remind me of the tunnels. What can I say, the man had an unexplained fascination with what went on underneath it all.

So when I found out that there was a tour available that would take you down into the utilidors I had to figure out a way to make it happen. Unfortunately this means that I don’t have any pictures for most of day 2 because no pictures or video are permitted. I also can’t be as descriptive about the day as I’d like because as you learn early on in the tour, Disney works really hard to preserve the magic for those who want to experience without knowing what goes on behind the scenes and for the little ones. But I’ll do my best.

We started the day with a reservation at the Crystal Palace before the Magic Kingdom opened. I had read on the boards that this was a great way to get a picture in front of the castle without a lot of people in the background. We took the opportunity to get a great shot of DF and I with my brother and his GF.
DisneyWeddingTrip171.jpg

The Crystal Palace is a favourite of mine. I just love having breakfast with pooh and the gang. Our waiter was nice enough to take a group photo, and I love this one with DF, Eeyore and I.
DisneyWeddingTrip184.jpg

DisneyWeddingTrip187.jpg

After breakfast it was time to head for the tour. We spent a lot of time learning interesting information about Disney that I didn’t know. Like the fact that Walt almost had to declare bankruptcy twice, and the history behind the names on the windows along main street. But my favourite bit of information was about how Tinkerbell flies from the castle. I don’t think I’m spoiling anything here because the zip cord is pretty clear to see. But to find out that 2 men literally boot Tinkerbell out from the top of the castle (because she herself wouldn’t have enough force (given her weight) to get the necessary momentum going) was just to much for me to handle. Do you know that when there is a tail wind they have to catch her at the other end in a big net? :rotfl2:

About mid way through the tour it started to pour rain again.

My stomach did flip flops.

The weather forecast only predicted a 30% chance for showers that day and it poured solid for a good 4 hours. They were calling for sun on our wedding day, but the day before and after they were calling for showers. All I could think of was….the pictures. NO! I’d been dreaming about the pictures for months now…and we wanted all those beautiful outdoor shots we’d seen Randy do.

After the tour was over and with soaking wet feet we left the Magic Kingdom, with the prospect of a dry hotel room.

Now, I was a bit of an Eeyore myself at that point. I hadn’t yet heard from the videographer (despite calling with my information twice) or from Anna or from the wedding coordinator. I had wet, gushy socks on and soaked jeans (which I hate)…and no evidence that anyone was even showing up for the wedding day…including the sun. I thought about all the poor brides who had outdoor ceremonies that day. I was just bummed. Bummed at Disney World.

When we returned to the hotel room we found a new friend waiting for us -- a towel swan!
DisneyWeddingTrip202.jpg

As I changed out of my wet clothes, DF did his best to cheer me up….and I remembered everyone’s kind words as we left, especially Maggie when she said that the day would go perfectly…and to just believe. At just that time Anna called our room to confirm an 11 AM appointment. I told her I was nervous about the rain…and she uttered these words, that I’ll never forget…“rain just makes the knot tighter.” And with that I was bound and determined to just believe.

We decided to head to Downtown Disney to do a little shopping and check out Disney Quest. DF and I had managed to get a promotion for Canadians that included the Waterparks and more option and a little bit of a discount on out park hopper. After strolling around the shops and heading to Goofy’s Candy Co, where DF cashed in a snack credit for this monstrocity of a Mickey rice crispy treat we were off to Disney Quest.
DisneyWeddingTrip1083.jpg

Disney Quest is like 5 stories of games, games and more games. It was overwhelming. We asked another guest where we should start and he directed us to the Pirates game. Now, I haven’t done much video game playing since I was about 10 and the first NES came out, so I was pretty much along for the ride. But I did manage to have a little fun.
DisneyWeddingTrip212.jpg

DisneyWeddingTrip213.jpg

The most important thing I learned about Disney Quest is that the counter service food offerings shut down at 9:30 and that it is very difficult to exit. DF and I had been standing off to the side to decide what we were going to order. There were people still in line ordering, but apparently we tried to order at 9:31 and were denied.

Hun? But you have food right there? “Sorry miss, we close at 9:30.” But there are still people in line. Guy shrugs. DF and I realize we’re not getting any food and head to play some skee ball.

But after 5 minutes of processing what just happened I was pretty annoyed with the whole Disney Quest experience and just wanted to go. But it seems the quest in Disney Quest is to actually leave. That thing is built like a maze -- after waiting 10 minutes for an elevator that wouldn’t come we tried to take the stairs. I say tried because we weren’t even successful on our own -- I had to ask a CM how to get out of the place. The stair cases don’t line up with each other so every floor you descend requires you to hunt for the next way down.

Suffice to say, I won’t be returning to dear Disney Quest.

We did enjoy the riverboat back to the French Quarter though, and after finally getting some food from the Sassagoula Floatworks & Food Factory happily returned back to our room and once again fell into bed after another long day.

Next up: Day 3 - rained out at MGM, and our one-man band at the Scat Club.

haha-- YAY For Day one.

First let me address--- I think (and there are those that vote right there with me).... that Stacy has been doing the top 7 for far too long. I think she should kick her Disney career... and let someone else do it (Maybe even Johnny Depp?? I might not mind watching that over and over and over again!).

Stacy does get to be a little much doesn't she -- watching Johnny Depp over and over 24/7? Sign me up :thumbsup2

What did you think about the movie in Canada?? While ive never been to Canada... Ive watched that same film my entire life. Is it pretty true to life?? I hear they are doing some updating to the films-- we should see.

Sadly we never made it in :rolleyes: we had planned to go before our dinner at Le Cellier, but didn't know there was actual "show times" and by the time the next one started we would have been late for our reservation. I've heard though that the movie is quite dated and they need to update it. I also heard rumours that they're trying to get a Tim Horton's in there.

Tim Horton's is something of a Canadian phenomenon, it has quite the following for (what I think is) average coffee. Ironically enough it's become a symbol of Canadiana and yet the company was sold to Wendy's International quite a while ago, so it's actually a US company now. DH's dad joked saying that if they did put a Timmy's in the Canadian pavillion the line up would be the longest in the park and you'd need to have a fast pass system for it. (I guess they don't like the coffee in WDW)

Your DH is from Bath? I travelled there a couple of years ago!! (I even touched the water-- lol a no, no!:ssst: ).

Yup -- he was born there and their family moved to Canada when he was 3 -- lucky for me. I haven't gotten to England yet but it's on the list.

Yay for the room upgrade!! DH actually came out and asked if we could have one at the WL (Totally not the etiquette hes been taught from a very young age... but-- c'mon.. they could do SOMETHING nice for the brides coming in-- considering we are helping them make a paycheck, and bringing people in for this occasion- hence.. making Disney more money!). We didnt get any spectacular upgrade-- but if you check the price difference per night-- it really adds up (which is why we normally just go with the standard room).

Etiquette schmetiquette -- with the possibility of an upgrade you gotta do what you gotta do! ;)

"Rain just makes the knot tighter"... love that! Sounds like something straight off of a movie!! I have so many thoughts on this... DH is calling me out the door-- ill write more in a couple of hours (when I can make up an excuse to get back on the computer ;) )

I am loving your TR! You are your DH are so cute together! Rain would make me soooo nervous and upset too, especially b/c our wedding is at SBP. It poured on my parents' wedding day, all day long, and they only have indoor wedding pictures. They always say rain on your wedding day is good luck. I have no idea if that's true but they have been married for 27 years, so maybe it is! Did you like your MK behind the scenes tour? I know DF is interested in doing all of the tours, I may suprise him w/ one during our disneymoon. Can't wait to read more :)

Im back!! Alrighty... first I want to say that I have always wanted to go on the KTTK tour. DH and I were planning on doing it during the honeymoon-- but there just werent enough hours in the day, you know what I mean? We were so busy-- it just never fell into place. It is a MUST for us next time around. Did they mention anything about Walts death... or where he is now? Hmm... popcorn::

You all look like you had a great time!! I was just like you- freaking out when I hadnt heard from everyone. Randy served as my wedding coordinator, everything most of the time.

Thats pretty crappy about the food court at disney quest-- you would think with food right there they would have served until it was gone :confused3 .

I havent actually ever been to Disney Quest. DH and I arent much for gamers... so its good to see your point of view on it. You think you will go back?

Cant wait to hear more...

PS I love how you and your DH are very discreetly holding one anothers hand in the pooh photo-- so romantic!

Did you like your MK behind the scenes tour? I know DF is interested in doing all of the tours, I may suprise him w/ one during our disneymoon. Can't wait to read more :)

I did like it a lot. I learned a lot of neat things about Disney that I had never known before, and I love learning new things. It's great for people who have already done Disney a bunch of times and are looking for a new aspect of the Kingdom. DF is already talking about the tours we could go on for our 1 year anniversary. If they keep the tours included in the premium plan we may even splurge for that and do as many tours as we can. :yay:

Im back!! Alrighty... first I want to say that I have always wanted to go on the KTTK tour. DH and I were planning on doing it during the honeymoon-- but there just werent enough hours in the day, you know what I mean? We were so busy-- it just never fell into place. It is a MUST for us next time around. Did they mention anything about Walts death... or where he is now? Hmm... popcorn::

I completely understand! I wish I had time to do the tour at the animal kingdom as well. It's hard to squeeze in a 4-5 hour tour...we were lucky to have 9 full days at Disney and without that time I don't know how we would have fit it in.

There wasn't tonnes about Walt's death...there was a lot about how he acquired the land, which they did in secret by making artificial subsidiary companies in an effort to keep the land prices down. I thought that was pretty neat. There was also a lot about the challenges with the land...and of course they mentioned how sad it was that Walt never saw the Magic Kingdom completed.

I also found it interesting that Walt's window is placed last on the right hand side of the main street buildings, facing the castle, as a signification that Walt was the producer and the producer's name comes last in the credits.

Oh there was so many cool things. It was really neat to go backstage and in the tunnels.

I havent actually ever been to Disney Quest. DH and I arent much for gamers... so its good to see your point of view on it. You think you will go back?

Hmm....will I go back....that's a tough one. I may go back if I were to get the water parks & more option & have the time. I definately don't think it's worth it to pay $30 for a single admission ticket. To be honest...it could have been a lot of fun. We were at the end of a long, soggy day and had had enough when there was no food to be eatten. It did seem to be in the need of a little refurbishment, but the people who were there seemed to really have fun. I did like the floor that had the old arcade games, and skee ball. It certainly isn't near the top of my list though and with all of the things to do at Disney I probably wouldn't recommend it as a "must do".

love the TR!! cant wait to hear more!! princess:

Thanks! It's great to hear. I was was both excited and nervous to write a TR, just because I've read so many good ones so it's a little intimidating. I'm glad you're along for the ride.

Hopefully I'll have Day 3 done and posted by tomorrow. I'm trying to write while also marking papers. I only managed to get half my marking done for the class I T.A. before I left and now I have to pay the price :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter