Once you go Deluxe, do you ever go Moderate or Value?

Yes, absolutely, I have resorts I like at each level and shuffle around where I stay based on the mood I want for the trip. For example; Pop feels more lively and Disney-ish, POFQ is so slow and relaxing (my fav. resort right now for many reasons), and BW is close to the action in EPCOT.

We usually stay Deluxe and only go back to the moderate if it’s a single night, usually arrival day when we end up arriving a day before our package starts.
We’ve never stayed at a value, but with a family of five, it doesn’t really end up a value for us.

I’m currently one day into 4 days at BWI and then I’m switching to POFQ for another 4. I travel solo and I’ve done multiple stays at Pop, a night at CSR, one prior trip at BWI, one at POR and 3 at FQ. I can’t imagine ever staying off site, but I’d easily book at Pop again if my go-to FQ wasn’t in the budget. But if it’s affordable for me, then it’s FQ or Deluxe all the way. I like Pop’s food court and enjoy the proximity to AoA, but hate the uncovered bus lines and the inevitably packed buses. That plus the more relaxing atmosphere at FQ and the boat to DS makes it worth the cost.

As for Deluxe vs Mod, I’ll admit that I would absolutely book Deluxe every time if it weren’t so expensive. I did BWI the first time on a lark and splurged for this trip because I turn 40 tomorrow and decided to treat myself. I was upgraded from Garden to Water view and am really enjoying relaxing on the balcony with a great view of the YC and the Boardwalk. It’s awesome to know that I can take a room break and then walk to Epcot or boat to Hollywood Studios and avoid the crowded buses. I love the Boardwalk Bakery (yum to the almond croissant!) and don’t miss a food court. Staying at BWI definitely feels like an upgrade. But it’s sooooo expensive. So until I win the lottery or get a surprise promotion at work, I’m going to be booking Mod.

For years we only stayed deluxe and usually club level.

With 3 in college now, and the way the resort prices have sky rocketed, we are now staying at CBR. While we loved the deluxes we are still having a marvelous time!

We stayed for one night st All Star Movies in our way to dd's college parents weekend, so we could back bounceback for this summer, and we found out it was way nicer than we ever thought!

I've stayed at a deluxe twice: once at Wilderness Lodge and once at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Both were during the slump in travel post-9/11, and IIRC we got a pretty good discount on both (bringing them down into the same price range as a moderate would usually run). All my trips after that have been at moderates-- I'd rather spend longer at Disney at a moderate than pay the same for a shorter stay at a deluxe; I generally don't spend that much time at the hotel anyways.

That said, I've never stayed at one of the moderates that's in close proximity to a park (the monorail loop or YC/BC/BW). I'm kind of afraid to try... that might spoil me ;)

I used to do deluxe for my entire stay but now I do value or moderate for the first night or two then move to deluxe for the rest of the trip. We did stay at CSR our entire trip for the week before Christmas last year because it was all I could get. I have no problems with it,not sure if I'd do a whole stay at a value, might at a moderate.

We are DVC do we have stayed at deluxe resorts mainly. We have however, after running out of points, stayed at SOG. I would also not have a problem staying at a Disney moderate or value if it means we can visit again. POR is our favorite moderate and I actually miss it. Haven't stayed there in three years and would definitely do so if able.

Yes, we stay both Deluxe and Moderate all the time, often on the same trip. We never stay Value due to bed size. And I know Pop has changed but even then the rooms are just too small. They were too small with Double beds so can't imagine the same rooms with Queen beds.
So we switch around all the time. On our next trip we are doing WL CL, POFQ, then BWI CL.
On other trips we've done CR, BW, POFQ, and on another we did YC, CC, then SSR (which is Mod if you ask me). Some others we've mixed on one trip, (in this order)
GF CL, POFQ
CSR, Poly
AKL CL, CBR
So as you can see, I don't think there's any rule about Mod then Deluxe or Deluxe then Mod, it all works for us.
We do it because we can. So many resorts, so little time. I can't ever decide where to stay so we stay in as many as we can. I think people put way too much on the status of labels of Deluxe vs. Mod. It's all Disney for goodness sakes. It's not like a Mod means you've gone slumming.

Last edited:
I’ll go one step further. I stayed at several deluxes and thought I’d never go back to a standard room once I stayed club level. That club-level vibe hooked me hard for a few trips. However, an unexpected last-minute reschedule put us at a value a couple of years ago. We were pleasantly surprised so much that our last three trips have been at values. Our deciding factor: space. We can get two rooms for equal or less cost than a deluxe and we’re much more comfortable. Two bathrooms mean less time in the mornings. I found the cleanliness and linens equal to the mods/deluxes. And I totally agree with the previous poster who said the value food courts are better than the deluxe quick service.

And yes, we’ve been happy each trip.

I have stayed at each level multiple times depending on lots of factors. Though I have preferences, there surely are no "bad" resorts.

I enjoy all of them and choose whatever I am in the mood for - however if I want to spend more time at the resort just chilling, I am more likely to book deluxe. In my mind there is not that much difference between value and moderate - but I often travel solo so room size isn't any issue there.

So far, I've stayed offsite, moderate, and value. Each trip has depended on goals, budget, and availability.

This year will be my first deluxe, but it is a "special, saved-for trip" so not likely to affect my future choices.

There are definitely several resorts I'd like to try, or would stay at again, at a mix of all three levels.

We have stayed at Poly, AKL and GF (club level). During the recent trip, we stayed two nights at Pop. DH hated the resort. I have no trouble going back for a short stay (1 or 2 nights) just because the room is too small. My family don't stay in the park from open to close. We like to take a 3-4 hours break in the afternoon and we like to sleep in. We have not yet tried the moderate. However with corridors on the outside, not sure if DH is willing to try it...

CSR was ok - too much walking from the Rancho
If we do a moderate again, it will be POFQ - just because of it's size

I stay where I can get the best deal, whether it's value, moderate, or deluxe. We enjoy them all. But we are fairly local and usually only stay for a night or two. For longer trips we generally do the Swolphin on Marriott/SPG points.

We've stayed at POR, the Cabins, Coronado Springs, and an adults only trip to Animal Kingdom with Savannah view. We are scheduled for POP in August of next year. Originally we were going to do another adults only trip and stay at the Poly or YC (it's our 25th anniversary next year). Well, we then realized that our daughter is turning 20 and she will have just graduated from college with a 2 year degree and our son will be 16. Kind of a big year for all of us. So we are doing POP. We stay in 2 rooms because the 4 of us in one room would make for a very unfortunate vacation. LOL. I'm kind of excited about it. We do use the pool since it's August, but we usually do the waterpark anyway.

I'll be a different voice here and say that I would only ever stay deluxe. I have seen the videos of moderates and values and those rooms just aren't nice enough or big enough to make my trip feel luxurious, and with our jobs we just don't get a lot of long vacations so we want to go all out. Also, since we also like to travel to non-Disney places too, we are only coming every other year. Add that we have 3 teenagers now and we really only fit in a deluxe room (those family suites don't have enough real beds) and even that is getting too small for us. Our next trip will likely be a suite in the Bonnet Creek area.

If you usually go Deluxe, do you ever go Moderate or Value for following trips? What do you base this on and are you satisfied if so?
I’ll let you know next month:thumbsup2 We are DVC members and bought because we LOVE deluxe. I said I’d never go back. Buuuuut......we used up all of our years points in a huge April trip and when we got home heard that my sister booked a trip for September with my nieces and nephew. My kids have always wanted to go with their cousins. So with only 5 months to save, the ONLY way we could go was to book free dining at ASMU with them. We have to renew our APs anyways so it’s actually a great deal. So I have to admit, I am really scared because I’ve been quite spoiled with AKL and POLY. But it was either that or not go, so we’re going for it. Setting the expectation low, and planning on having a blast with family that we never get to go with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter