One month, more than 3200 miles, first Disney road trip done

olive

DIS Veteran
We returned a couple of days ago from our very first drive to Disney, and really our first road trip of more than about 4 or 4 1/2 hours. We clocked over 3200 miles on this trip, so we beat our prior trips by a long shot. I will share our experiences here in case anything is useful for others, especially potential first time road trippers! I will have to do this in parts, just because I don't have anything fully written out in advance.

Our full journey took a month. We decided to take our time and had the time to take, and since we are a one driver family and wanted to limit the driving in any one day and try to make the journey an enjoyable experience, this was what worked best for us - especially with two children (newly 3 and newly 8). We were packed (overpacked??) solid with snacks and drinks, car games, movies and books, a kids' atlas and triptiks (including a copy for the kids), prizes for good behavior, a first aid kit, flashlight, and just about anything else I could think of to try to prepare us for any inevitability. Of course in the end we had to change our route while on the road but things worked out well.

We stayed in (in order) Stanardsville, VA; Charlotte, NC (where we were stopping for a wedding) and suburbs thereof (Monroe, to visit family); Amelia Island, FL; Universal Studios; Disney; Charleston, SC; Monroe, NC (revisited); Hershey, PA.

Our first leg ended up being Brooklyn to Southern Virginia, outside Shenandoah National Park. We stayed for two nights to explore the park and see Luray Caverns. Unfortunately because the drive down was long (though scenic at times and not particularly traffic-y) and we had a long-ish drive to Charlotte following with rain on and off in between, we didn't have nearly enough time to explore in the park. We definitely want to visit Shenandoah again! Perhaps next time we can stay in the park. We spent some time driving on Skyline Drive and enjoying the views, visited a ranger station to pick up junior ranger materials and walk through a sort of mini museum, hiked the Little Stoney Man Trail and stopped off at a few overlooks and other points of interest. It was a beautiful stop on our journey and I am so glad we made the choice to include it. We visited Luray Caverns during a rainy period. It was really beautiful, and the kids enjoyed it. We stopped for ice cream on the way back to our accommodations at a cute and simple local spot (Klein's, I believe).

We included the Blue Ridge Parkway for part of our drive to Charlotte, but had to abort that portion of the drive earlier than planned due to extreme visibility issues (and a need for gas :) ). FYI, you can't get gas on the parkway as you can on Skyline Drive. Anyway, the rain and mist combined to where it seemed like we were driving in a cloud at times. Our youngest also ended up carsick from this leg, which lasted for awhile and prolonged the drive to Charlotte some for cleaning him up at a rest area. The Parkway was beautiful, though, at least the portion we could see. I also fully intended for us to stop and see something called "Foamhenge" - a foam, full-scale replica of Stonehenge in the VA countryside - because it sounded hilarious. The carsick issue made this an impossibility. Next time!

We mostly did family things in Charlotte/Monroe, but I can provide a few potentially useful comments. We stayed at the Duke Mansion for two nights, which was beautiful. There was a small playground area on the property and some beautiful gardens. Be mindful if you have children, though, that the property is not fully gated outside so if children are running and playing they may accidentally run off the site. The food was very good, as well. We visited ImaginOn in Charlotte, which was sort of like a combination Library and Children's museum. I believe it was free to get in but we paid a small fee to park underground beneath the facility. The kids had a blast there reading, playing games and enjoying a Clifford exhibit. We went across the street and had a tasty lunch at the public market, a sort of indoor food market similar to Reading Terminal Market in Philly but on a much smaller scale. We had good luck with the pizza from the pizza vendor and a grilled cheese from the cheese shop.

I will follow up on Amelia Island, Universal, etc. We loved Amelia Island! It was our first time there and I would highly recommend it. Hope some of this is helpful to the rest of the community.

I suppose this is chapter 2? As I am putting this together I realized I should put in a caveat that probably isn't fully necessary, but I will anyway - this is all to the best of my recollection in terms of the order of details and such. It probably doesn't make much difference if I made a mistake, but just wanted to mention it - my intention is to be accurate but it was a long trip!

The drive to Amelia Island seemed pretty easy. The kids were excited about looking for palm trees and getting to Florida (and we were, too). The one difficulty was that as we got farther south we started to hit pockets of heavy rain - so heavy that traffic would pull to the shoulder and the vehicles remaining had blinkers on. I remember this from when I was younger and my parents drove south. It was challenging at times but we were ultimately fine.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn in the historic district on Amelia Island (there are two Hampton Inns on the Island, but I can only speak to the one on s 2nd street). This seemed like a Hampton Inn with a bit more personality than others I have visited. The breakfast area was in great shape, the pool was a bit small but we didn't see anyone else in the water when we were in with the kids (just a couple of people here and there in loungers) so this did not bother us, and it was not particularly small compared to other hotels of its type. We stayed in a one bedroom suite with a mini kitchen. It was plenty big for our needs, but had a slightly off smell. We didn't really notice it once the air was running. Our rooms overlooked the water/harbor which was a nice perk. No complaints about the hotel, and the location was perfect - it was so centrally located. We were able to walk over to what seemed to be the Main Street area, and to the pier where we grabbed a sight seeing/Eco cruise through Amelia River Cruises the first evening. We spied a wild dolphin on the tour and many wild horses on Cumberland Island, and we sailed past Fort Clinch. We heard some local history, as well. The tour was around 90 minutes which was fine for the adults but slightly long for my 3 year old. He did okay with the promise of dinner after :) We attempted to grab a bite at the nearby Salty Pelican following (it was just across from the pier) but they had a wait that my kids could not sustain, so we had dinner back at the room and some swimming time.

The next day we visited Fort Clinch to tour the small museum, the fort itself and hit the beach. The Spanish moss lining the road entering the park is lovely. Everyone was very friendly at the property. We spent a few hours at the museum and fort, and were glad we had gotten there close to opening because it was very, very hot when we switched gears to head to the beach. (The weather was reporting that it felt like it was over 100 around 11 or so.) The beach area was pretty secluded. I don't know if we were successful in finding shark teeth, which the beaches are known for, but it was a pleasant stop, for sure. We got poured on on the way back to the car, though :) Note the changing area/bathroom station is pretty dark; it seemed to rely on natural light, or maybe the lights were just out when we went. After a nap we grabbed an early dinner at the Salty Pelican - the avocado appetizer was super tasty but we really enjoyed all of our food - and then dropped by the confectionary in the historic district for fudge and ice cream for dessert. Amelia Island was an excellent stop and left us with only about three hours to go before we got to Universal the next day!

We adore Universal. We have a bunch of Disney trips under our belts (and I come from a Disney-loving family so I have been indoctrinated since youth), but on our last Disney trip we tacked on a few nights at Universal, staying at the Royal Pacific before we checked in at Disney (thinking it would be like Poly lite :) ). My husband and I and our older son loved it; not sure the infant had an opinion. We decided it should be part of future trips, although at some point we may start alternating them. We can't always be on vacation for a month.

This time we stayed 5 nights at Universal. We had originally booked 4 nights at Royal Pacific and then decided to add a night, but our rate wasn't available, or anything close when we made the decision, so we booked the first night at Cabana Bay. For those who don't know much about Universal, both are "on site" properties, CB just had a longer walk to the parks and does not include an Express Pass (get you on to the Universal FP-style line for all rides that have such a line). CB was HUGE but well themed. It was like a 50s beach movie style, with multiple pool areas, water slides, a lazy river. Unlike Disney, you can - and are encouraged to - pool hop among the resorts, but it seems annoying to me to bother trekking between them. We just swam at CB when we were there at at RP when we were there (even though really the CB pools were more fun). There are movies at night at both pools.

Check in was super fast at CB and we just grabbed a luggage rack/cart to bring up our luggage to the room, then the kids went swimming and I did the first of many laundry loads of the trip. After some rain, we headed to the parks and enjoyed some rides and were blown away by Diagon Alley. We already knew Hogsmeade was cool but wow. We had entered through Islands of Adventure, enjoyed some Seuss rides for the little one and then took the Hogwarts Express over to Universal and Diagon Alley. We had dinner there and it was really a cut above theme park food, and the kids enjoyed butter beer while the grow ups had non butter beer. They have a variety of witch's brews and such. Lovely theming, and the new Gringotts ride was fabulous. Our 3 year old couldn't ride but was entranced by the dragon outside.

We moved to RP the next day and had a main level room close to the lobby - a very convenient location. We kept the same sort of schedule throughout the trip, at both Universal and Disney. The hotels (particularly the pools) are part of the vacation for the kids, and they like to have some downtime. We would come back each day - I believe except one day at Disney - for at least swimming and sometimes a nap. This is extra easy at Universal if you are staying on site since you can walk back and forth from both parks to the on site hotels or take their boat. The one annoyance I have with the boats is that we had a large special needs adaptive stroller and only once did anyone move to put the ramp down, and the boat is not completely even with the dock. I preferred to avoid the boats after that because I got the impression they didn't want to be bothered - the "captain" would literally walk away after tying up, and we had the huge stroller parked next to this person each time on the ride over, so they were fully aware of our existence. We did take it here and there though. Not a huge issue, really, but I do appreciate that at Disney the monorail workers almost always at least asked if we would like the ramp put in place, even if they weren't always thrilled to do so. Anyhow, walking was easy peasy and that is generally what we did. It was a pleasant and pretty short walk to RP.
We had a sort of large marine cooler and brought a bunch of easy meal stuff - cheese, deli slices (vegetarian ones), bread, yogurt, nuts, kefir, chips/pretzels, cereal and milk, fruit and applesauce, etc. Sometimes we ate in the parks, a couple of times we had food from Flippers (once delivery - the delivery guy was super kind - and once my husband picked up because he was nearby anyway for an errand) and meals from what we had. Last trip we had one dinner by the pool at RP but the weather and our park visits didn't work out to allow that this time. I remember the food being good. We had ice cream at Fortescue's and treats at Honeydukes, and ate at assorted other eateries at the parks, and I believe all accepted the Amex discount. I was asked to show proof of the discount on my phone but when the service was slow and I couldn't get it to download fast enough they would just give it to me.

Our Express Pass benefit through the hotel was great, especially for attractions like Despicable Me which often had waits well over an hour or even two. We upgraded our buy-two-days-get-one-free passes to APs at the parks so we could visit every day (6). We spent the last morning visiting favorites before heading over to Disney to check in to the Polynesian for the first half of our split stay at Disney.

I'll pick up with our Polynesian stay and maybe get to the Yacht Club stay next - our first visit to the YC.

Now onto Disney!

At The Polynesian, which has become a favorite of my husband and I and some of our family, we had requested Samoa, first floor, facing the volcano pool. This is the building and view we generally have, and I had asked our travel agent to make the request and also made it separately through the Touring Plans faxing service. Not sure who to credit, but we got what we requested and we were very happy with the location. We didn't hear any construction noise from the east pool construction and the construction was not so noticeable for us unless we walked to the Epcot monorail at TTC. It didn't really bother us in any event. We are big fans of this resort but had not been to visit since the construction, so we didn't know what to expect. The fence around the pool area isn't pretty but I could ignore it. Hopefully it is effective at least for the intended purpose. I was annoyed by people dropping stuff on lounges early and then taking off, which I could easily see from our patio while we had breakfast - it reminded me of being on a cruise - but we barely ever even try to use a chair or lounge at the pool anyway so we were not affected here. I was more just annoyed on principle. I don't understand claiming something that you clearly aren't using just so you can possibly use it later and to deprive someone who may ACTUALLY use it of the opportunity to do so. The seating actually did get filled up around the pool, or at least the seating was filled with towels and items if not bodies. We would personally just drop our sandals nearby and get in the pool. My view was no need for us to take up seating from someone who might actually want to sit when we just planned to swim or play in the splash area. The new-ish splash area is cute. The volcano pool seems to now be a rock pool - it doesn't actually look like a volcano to me anymore, but we still called it the volcano pool based on legacy. I don't remember that slide being completely dark but perhaps it always was? Anyway, I thought it was sort of scary :) My 3 year old did not.

We had some pretty poor housekeeping on this stay at the Poly. There were black sooty smudges on the bathroom floor from check in which I was not completely able to clean off myself, and very obviously stained sheets on the daybed (which we wanted our toddler to sleep on, but not while it was dirty). My son get sunscreen on the patio glass doors which was never cleaned off during our stay. The bathroom floor was mostly cleaned on the third or fourth day after I complained to the front desk, but I wouldn't have mentioned it at all if I weren't already there (again) for something else housekeeping-related. I got to hear the housekeeper complaining in the hallway to another employee about having to change our daybed sheets after we had to ask the second time (at the front desk) to have them changed before we would let my son sleep on the bed. The room was made up very late some days - leading me to believe it may have been forgotten entirely had we not called to inquire. We also were not given toilet paper one day and the front desk suggested (when I was taking to them about the issue in person) that I get some myself from the bathrooms in the Grand Ceremonial House near Ohana or Captain Cooks. ??? That seems like a pretty unpolished response to me and I assume the folks in the bathroom thought I was insane as I stuffed TP into my bag from the stalls.

None of this would lead me to not stay at the resort again or not recommend it. I just don't remember having service issues on our prior Poly stays so this was surprising, and a bit annoying. We thought the room was great, though, and the updated GCH looked lovely. The blocked view from the beach with the new bungalows is a bit of a drag but I'm sure we will get used to it. We took full advantage of on-site Dole Whips only twice, which was probably not enough. We also caught most of the water pageant several times, which is always cute. I think we will always love this resort. Nearly everyone we encountered working there was friendly and professional and it felt familiar and comfortable despite the upgrades/changes.

We focused on MK more than Epcot during this portion of our visit since we would be switching to the Epcot area in a few days, and also visited AK (in fact we started off at AK). Our older son LOVED the Wilderness Explorer badges activities and we were able to collect 21, but I think he was a little disappointed that he didn't get a card or anything to signify reaching "fish" status. I guess we weren't efficient in doing the program, but it took us a long time for him to earn those badges. We visited AK over three visits (half day/basically 6 hour or so each). The heat and on some days crowds were a factor (as in all parks), and sometimes torrential rain. We were allowed to wait out the rain at the Flights of Wonder show area on one occasion and the rain was so severe that it was pouring through the tent covering in places and the wind was blowing it over the crowd (if you get into this situation note the folks in the bleachers seemed to stay pretty dry!).
This was a theme on our trip - there were attractions we didn't get to experience because they were cancelled due to weather (mine train, Tom Sawyer Island and others in MK - even the electrical parade and Wishes, at Epcot, Test Track over and over - we never did get to ride it, Flights of Wonder, Maharajah Trek and Nemo at AK) or our touring days were truncated for the same reason. This actually made it feel like even though we had 10 parks days, we got less done than on prior 10 parks day trips during other seasons. We did enjoy the pools most days, though pools were closed for lightning or threat of at times, or for severe rain. This will probably help inform which month we choose for a future trip.

The kids loved seeing the fireworks from the Polynesian pool. It was very crowded in the water at times, though at night less so. We could hear some pool noise from the room but not enough to be bothersome to us, and we could definitely hear the fireworks. The kids slept right through those.

We had a (fabulous, as always) grownups only dinner at Victoria & Albert during our Poly stay. We used Kids Nite Out for babysitting for the first time, which went very well. Our sitter made balloon animals and beaded necklaces with the kids and they watched a movie. They went over to Captain Cook's for dinner. This was one of the severe weather nights and on the way back the monorail was crazy backed up and boats were down, so we rushed back in the rain (it had lightened up a bit when we had to "commute") in our formal wear. My shoes came off :) A lifeguard let us cut through the pool area - she said she would trust that we weren't going to go swimming. The rain had been bad enough that a small sinkhole opened up by Samoa. It was quite a night. Dinner was delicious, though, and the kids enjoyed our little fruit bread from the restaurant for breakfast on the patio later on.

After 5 nights we switched to the Yacht Club. This was a new resort for us. A bunch of our family were flying down and checking in there on the same day and we wanted to be at the same resort for the next 7 nights. We love the Epcot resort area and are huge Epcot fans, so we were looking forward to trying out YC.

Unfortunately, in a packing frenzy I managed to badly fracture one of my toes on our resort switch day. The folks at Celebration Hospital were friendly and efficient - I had an X-ray done less than an hour after I hobbled in the door. Even more unfortunately because of the nature of the fracture the doctor said I could not walk for the rest of the vacation or I would be risking surgery (which I might need anyway), so he suggested looking into renting a wheelchair and sent me on my way with what the X-ray tech called "an ugly boot" and some crutches.

The Poly staff had been helpful in letting me know that I could get free transport to the hospital, though my husband just packed as far as he could while I uselessly whimpered and then drove me himself. The YC front desk staff were extremely helpful, as well. My husband checked in (while I was still at the ER) and asked whether it was possible to get a room on the first floor to make it a little easier for me in light of the fracture and wheelchair situation. He was informed that we had booked standard and there were no standard rooms on the first floor, but they graciously ended up upgrading us to a first floor room. When I stopped by the front desk after my return from the ER on my crutches, I was told of a list of wheelchair/ECV rental companies and told if I picked one they (YC) would handle everything and I could pick it up at bell services. The front desk clerk told me our room was a bit far from the lobby (it was hard on the crutches actually) but I just reiterated our thanks for making the switch to the first floor. I appreciated not having to deal with the stairs or elevator with a wheelchair/ECV so much. We ended up having a perfect view of the Boardwalk from our patio on top of that, which was an amazing treat.
Compared to the Polynesian the bathroom at YC seemed very small (sinks were outside here) and I ended up banging my foot on the bathroom door that first night when it was out of its protective shoe, which was really excruciating, but the room was very nice in terms of size. We lucked out and had a daybed which our youngest slept in. One night housekeeping took the daybed blanket and forgot to replace it (it was not in the closet) so that was unfortunate, but after a call it was replaced the next day. When we checked in we noticed one or two of the dresser drawers were broken (hard to tell if it was just one which made the other seem off, as well), but we called maintenance and they fixed it while we were out - impressive! And we had packed those drawers full, too! Housekeeping was great here. Even if the room was serviced later some days, it was always serviced. They even arranged the kids' stuffed animals cutely sometimes. We were able to make it to early dinner at Beaches n Cream that first day at YC despite the ER visit where we had a light meal and nearly finished a Kitchen Sink (mostly my husband). It was an adorable spot but pretty small, so they can't accommodate too many people. My parents LOVED this place - I think they ate there three times, but it may have been twice. I can't remember. They snapped up reservations as they became available during the week for late dinners or lunches. We had a drink and snacks at Crew's Cup once when we had headed to the pool and were shut out because of threat of lightning. Service was friendly and they had some nice snacks and interesting drinks. There were a few kids inside waiting out the pending storm with their families, presumably also hoping to be able to swim soon! We had an overall great experience at this hotel. The kids adored the main pool area, and the times I went I was able to find a place to sit (I was generally afraid to go near the water with my foot). The line for the slide could be long, longer than at the Poly. Once, after our magic bands were checked my older son went ahead of me (I was slow with my fracture boot) to meet his father and brother, who were already inside, and the lifeguard refused to give me a wristband for him, saying I needed to return with the child (whom she had just seen a second ago) - I suppose in case I passed off the wristband to a non-hotel guest? I thought that seemed like a bit much but luckily a friendly lifeguard who was also there at the entrance accompanied me the short distance to put it on his wrist so it was a non issue. There seemed to be a life jacket shortage some days at this pool - depending on the size you needed. We had our own in the hotel room, just in case. We loved being able to walk (or in my case, roll) to Epcot and HS, as we always do from this general location. We never made it over to the BW side, which I regret. We have really enjoyed that on prior trips.

We did some snacking around the world in Epcot on this leg of the trip, though less than I would have liked :) We had meals at San Angel, Via Napoli and Tokyo Dining as well as counter service meals at Sunshine Seasons and Cantina San Angel.

We had service issues at San Angel for the first time that I recall in many, many visits to this restaurant. My family has been visiting this restaurant since the 80s. I made a reservation for the restaurant many months out and asked whether they could accommodate an ECV for my father, who cannot transfer for seating at a restaurant with two prosthetic legs to the knee. This was noted in my reservation including in the receipt they handed me when I checked in. Yet the maitre d mentioned more than once that "this was the first he was hearing of this" and initially put more chairs around a table than it could accommodate - so the chairs at the end did not actually sit at the table. When I said that wouldn't work because those people wouldn't have space for plates he reiterated that he just found out about this, making us feel like my father's disability was basically an inconvenience to him. Horribly unprofessional and exactly what we were trying to avoid with the maximum advance notice we could provide. I was shocked after so many visits to this restaurant and never experiencing anything like this and was noticeably annoyed. He said I should just be patient, to which I said I was trying to be but honestly losing patience. There had been no effort to act like we were being anything but an imposition and should be grateful for the 11 of us (including wheelchair) being placed at a too-small table. Eventually they tacked on another table and we were able to eat. We enjoyed our meal (the actual food) and drinks. The wait staff spoke to my dad in Spanish, which he loves (we are Hispanic), and we were able to catch illuminations after with a great view from the wheelchair viewing area by UK. My 8 year old somehow fell asleep.

We also had weird service at Tokyo Dining, which we loved last time. The waitress was lovely and the sushi chef even stopped by after a demonstration and offered samples, which was amazing. My mother was super excited about that. The manager was very rude, though. We asked if our son (a vegetarian) could get vegetable tempura or vegetable sushi instead of shrimp tempura or a California roll. She said yes. The regular children's options would come with soup and dessert, and the tempura would also come with veggies, rice and sushi. Since the soup was not vegetarian he could have some veggies on the side either way, and if he got the tempura he would get extra veggies. She would not substitute a vegetarian sushi for the included sushi. Last time we ate at the restaurant he was given an array of foods, but fine. This sounded reasonable. He ended up getting the sushi, but then it showed up with no veggies on the side and so I inquired about the side of veggies. The waitress said there would be no veggies and I said I understood from the manager (who discussed dietary issues with customers generally, apparently) that in lieu of soup, we would get veggies - which are a side with each of the other kid's meals - rather than getting nothing in place of the soup. The manager came out sort of angry and started arguing with me - just aggressive and not nice at all. She then relented and showed up holding a small dish and said something like "and here are his THREE pieces of broccoli" in an exasperated manner and set down three small pieces of steamed broccoli. There was nearly steam coming out of her ears, and I was befuddled by the whole thing. It was almost hilarious how angry she was about giving up the like 20 cents worth of broccoli. I just supplemented his meal with some of mine. (She also refused an accommodation for my mother, who has a shrimp allergy who asked for something that seemed like a simple switch.) I am not likely to return to this particular restaurant based on this kind of treatment, and it was such a strong juxtaposition with the attitude of everyone else in the restaurant who was just so nice and friendly. There are many tasty restaurants in World Showcase and lots of friendly people to meet. I don't need heartburn while I eat.

We had never been to Via Napoli before, but this was a lucky reservation since our youngest is a crazy picky eater and has recently added pizza to his very short list of acceptable foods. We had the largest pizza to share. Mr Little enthusiastically said he wanted red peppers on it; I was skeptical and got them on half. This turned out to be a good call as he refused to touch them when the pizza came out. The kids also split the bocconcini. They enjoyed seeing the pizza ovens - we were seated right by them - and I loved the cannoli martini! It may not have been a good match with pizza, but it was tasty on its own.
Sunshine Seasons is always a good pick for us with the variety of food choices, and we ate a LOT there waiting out the rain one day. Even my youngest made a good show. The vegetarian Indian curry dish was a bit underseasoned but we still gobbled it up and appreciated the offering. All the counter staff were friendly.
Our meal at Cantina was excellent - though it really added up. The adult empanadas were very good - the sauces were a nice counterpoint. The kids empanadas came with plenty of chips, and my husband enjoyed his fish tacos. We took advantage of the indoor seating at Hacienda (during lunch).

At MK we had each of a breakfast and lunch at BOG. Breakfast was more successful, I think, as we had some items that were extremely over salted, to the point of being inedible or nearly so (the French onion soup and a meat dish that I can't recall which my mother eventually gave up on). Breakfast was a little overpriced but we did enjoy the food for the most part; the yogurt in the children's crepes had an odd flavor, something different from plain yogurt that we couldn't quite put a finger on. We had the same issue after breakfast (which was pre-park opening) that some others have reported where some staff directed us that we could ride Mine Train, which they identified as the only open ride, and then another ride CM told us we had to wait at the entrance until all of the rope drop crowd got on line (I could see them in view but they were not yet to the queue). We said thanks but no thanks - we had a FP for later anyway - and a FP CM motioned for us to go through her line. She had originally told us to go through the standby line and that it was not necessary to be held back to wait. Not sure what was going on with the other CM, since his instructions were inconsistent with several other folks that morning (including other ride CMs), but what can you do?

We had counter service meals at Pecos Bill Cafe (made good use of the toppings bar :) ) and Tortuga Tavern (still good for vegetarians but we were sad to see the toppings bar go). We also enjoyed Dole Whips and a float in Adventureland and a Mickey pants sundae from the Plaza ice cream shop. Somehow we made it through the trip with NO churros and no visit to Sleepy Hollow. These are definite regrets.

The kids really enjoyed playing Sorcerer's - we spent some time on this during rainy periods up until they had an outdoor mission and it was too rainy to proceed without ruining the cards. They never got to see the electrical parade or Wishes from the park because I left it until too late in the trip and we were rained out. I feel guilty but I won't leave it until late in the itinerary next time. We didn't plan to - it was pushed back because of my injury - but next time it will be up front!

We also did Hoop de Doo on our first night. We had never done this before. It took ages to get there from Poly. We took a boat from Poly to MK, which was quick, but I think we just missed the boat from MK to FW and we waited over 20 minutes for the next one - perhaps there was a delay? Then the boat going over was incredibly slow. Next time we will leave the full 90 minutes; I think we had left a little over an hour. We made it just in time, though really it was fine since the beginning was just eating anyway. Even as vegetarians (plus my pescatarian husband) we had plenty to eat. The mashed potatoes and corn were surprisingly good. The show was hard for me to follow - I was very focused on the kids - but they had a lot of fun. I think we would do it again as a first day activity or a switch day activity.

We spent the least time at HS, which I think is typical for us. We didn't make the Muppet Show or HISTK playground, or the Lights, etc. stunt show as intended, but we did hit Toy Story Mania, Great Movie Ride, Indiana Jones stunt show (our kids and especially the 8 year old LOVED this), Hollywood & Vine lunch (kids loved this for the second trip in a row, last time breakfast), Disney Junior Show, Rock n Roller Coaster, Star Tours and Fantasmic. We managed to only get stuck behind two Frozen parades. Getting out after Fantasmic was pretty awful particularly while riding in an ECV. The kids adored the show, though. It is hard to say if we would do it again. Maybe if the weather was nice and we just waited out the crowd before leaving? It was rough, though. We just walk/rode back to YC after because the boat line was so backed up and made it in about 15 minutes; no boat ever came by in either direction so we definitely beat the crowd waiting, even the folks at the front of that enormous line. As a bonus, we saw a baby bunny on our way to the hotel. Total win.

In general it felt like we got a lot less done on this trip as far as Disney goes, but not less at Universal. I am not a huge fan of FP+ and did not like booking attractions 60 days out. There were lines at the kiosks in the parks each time we wanted to use them and we had serious problems with the app on site. Also, I think I would rather risk a cold snap in January (which we have experienced) than crazy rain in August (which we have also experienced, along with more typical August rain). Even with earlier park closing we just got more done in January. Late May/early June was even better in terms of weather and park hours, but we may be able to take more days on a future trip in January again. We'll see. The kids do love the pools and there is just no guarantee with January weather unpredictability that you will get even one day of swim-worth temps, at least for our family. I know people differ on what is swim-worthy.
So we will still be back to Disney even though I disliked FP+ (a lot) and found that Disney has become less fun than it used to be in a sense, at least in my opinion, but I think we may give it a couple of years (or possibly more). We have lots to see and do in the meantime, and that will give us time to miss it.

Next up - Charleston, site of flooding, dolphins and amazing food.

Last edited:
We headed to Charleston, through some nasty rain again, where stayed outside of the main downtown area at the Town & Country Inn and Suites. Our room had a sofa bed and a large bathroom with separate tub and shower. The room was nicely decorated and all of the staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful. It was on a commercial strip, but this made for easy access for downtown and actually was also walking distance to a tasty dinner spot, as well as just down the road from a diner with some great food.

We got in pretty late after a lazy last morning and lunch at the hotel, so the kids just went straight to bed. We had a huge southern breakfast at the Early Bird Diner. Despite a packed parking lot, we found seating inside easily. The food was very good, though the service was not particularly warm (other wait staff seemed friendlier than our waitress, who seemed maybe more spaced out than rude).

We were well sustained for a tour of Charleston; my husband and I hadn't been to the area in about ten years but it was still relatively fresh in my mind, at least enough to recall where we walked around on that visit. We drove over to the visitor center to grab maps and took advantage of the free trolley system, hopping of at Broad and then heading down to the battery. It had flooded overnight so it was a bit stinky, but still lovely to walk around and see the history. Our youngest got pretty bitten up - unfortunately we hadn't brought our bug spray. We walked back up to the trolley toward the visitor center and made a perfect stop for ice cream at Jeni's. The people behind the counter were generous with samples and so pleasant to talk to! We loved this place.

We headed back toward the hotel and a brief grocery stop, the boys had a swim at the nearly empty pool before dinner. We topped the day off with a delicious meal at Boxcar Betty's down the road. I don't believe we saw anyone else walking on the sidewalk :) Boxcar Betty's was completely casual and very tasty.
The following morning we had an amazing excursion with Captain Joe through Charleston Outdoor Adventures. We went out on a small boat in search of wild dolphins and boy did we find them! It seemed we were just surrounded by them at times, some less then five feet from the boat. We even saw a sea turtle. This was an amazing ride and well worth the trip.
After our boat tour we drove out to Johns Island. We picked up lunch en route to see the Angel Oak - purportedly the oldest tree in North America at more than 1500 years. We found some tasty food at an unassuming place called the Southern General and then headed over to see the tree, which was enormous and looked like something out of a fairy tale.

We hit some traffic because of closed roads and bridges on our way back to NC where we stayed another night to see family, and then continued north to Hershey for two nights. This was a change to our original itinerary to accommodate my injury, since Hershey rents ECVs and would be pretty easy for me to handle with that accommodation.

We were sort of limited in our choices of where to stay since this was a last-minute switch, and we ended up at the Springhill Suites in Hershey. Our room was quite large, though it seemed - bit dark. All the staff were friendly here. The kids were happy with breakfast options which makes me happy, and we used the pool on the first night. We had dinner from our own groceries the first night because we had gotten in late, and ordered from Houlihan's the second and picked it up on the way back to the hotel from the park (we had to stop at Rite Aid anyway and the restaurant was two blocks away or so). The kids had a blast at Hershey and Chocolate World, which was so much less crowded than Disney!! We had almost no lines at all on our first day (a Thursday), and then one line of any significance on the Friday, which was maybe 20 minutes. We used that time to order our dinner on our phones to pick up on our way out of town (sandwiches from Hoageez). We also stopped in adorable Lititz, at the Wilbur chocolate factory and the Sturgis Pretzel Factory. We picked up several varieties of chocolate at Wilbur and watched candy being made through the large windows. We were too late for the last tour at Sturgis, but we did buy a bunch of varieties of hard pretzels and some soft pretzels for the road. The workers at Sturgis were very nice to our kids.

And with that our final stop was done! Just about three hours later and we were home, having seen and done so much. The whole trip was an amazing experience. We saw some beautiful countryside, ate some delicious food, experienced lots of natural wonders and had incredible family time, with Disney in the middle - and we have several thousand pictures to show for it.

I'm happy to answer any questions if people are planning stops in any of these places! It was all really a lot of fun!

I know it is a novella :) - almost as long as our trip! But hopefully there is some value in it for someone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter