One Night Cheap- Possible?

DnA2010

Rope Drop!
My DH and I are looking at a budget trip to Oahu, just wondering any tips on getting a night or two at a cheaper rate- is the best value possibly a DVC rental? We are from Canada so the exchange already stings, but would love to visit for a day or two. We are looking at the last week of November.
Thank you for taking the time to read :)

What is the rate for DVC? I keep hearing about it, but wonder what kind of discount it provides.

What is the rate for DVC? I keep hearing about it, but wonder what kind of discount it provides.

(Just an fyi for the uninitiated) A very basic outline of the way it works is you have "points" and each one has a value. The rate of points per night varies by season and type/level of accommodation you choose. To rent DVC points you do so through a DVC owner. Places like DVC Rental Store and Davids are like a middleman. They are not renting you the points, they match you with DVC owners who rent to you and charge you a fee for doing this. You can also rent directly from owners. There is a whole section on the Disboards for DVC rentals

I have booked thought Davids twice and they post a cost calculator on their site

https://www.dvcrequest.com/cost-calculator.asp

Looking at the last week of November 2017, if you booked through Davids, you would pay the following for one night on Wednesday Nov 29

$256-standard view hotel room

$272-standard view studio
$304-island view studio
$368-poolside view studio
$400-oceanview studio

$560-standard view 1 bedroom
$576-island view 1 bedroom
$704-pool view 1 bed
$736-oceanview 1 bed

and it goes up from there

Compare that to the Aulani website where a standard view hotel room is $469 and a studio is $534.

They have incentives for staying more than a few nights like resort credits etc but I compared them and because when you rent DVC points the $35/night parking is included it worked out much cheaper for us to rent points. Really you are saving the difference in the night (for example $560-$272=$288 saved plus $35 so over $300 less per night!)

Wow! that's incredible! Us kamaaina and military only get about 15% of the regular price, and that's not even a standing offer. Sometimes we get no discount at all. I'm happy for DVC people, kinda annoyed that Aulani doesn't seem to care that most locals and military are priced out.

Wow! that's incredible! Us kamaaina and military only get about 15% of the regular price, and that's not even a standing offer. Sometimes we get no discount at all. I'm happy for DVC people, kinda annoyed that Aulani doesn't seem to care that most locals and military are priced out.

DVC owners pay a lot of money upfront for their points to lock down the cost of a room down the road. And we also have to pay maintenance fees on our points every year.

But isn't that for all Disney properties?

When you buy into DVC, you pick a home resort to buy your points in. That gives you booking priority at that resort over other DVC owners who do not own at that resort. DVC points hold their value at DVC properties but each resort has different point requirements. A studio at the Poly is different in points/night from a studio at Aulani.

I don't think that anybody is stopping locals or military from writing a $22,000 check to buy in to DVC in order to get the discounted rate....

I don't think that anybody is stopping locals or military from writing a $22,000 check to buy in to DVC in order to get the discounted rate....

Hawaii is one of the most expensive states to live in and our wages are not comparable to the cost of living. People often working 2 jobs just to make it here. Tack on the fact that average family in Hawaii is larger than the national average and it'll give you an idea of the limits most of us work in. Even for us to go to a different island for a long weekend, you're looking at about $200 pp at a 3-star hotel. If you want a resort, add about $100 pp.

And that's if you can even get a room in a resort. The boom in tourism means that popular hotels on all islands can be 90% sold out months ahead of time. Don't forget to add the cost of a rental car and gas if you're going to a place where a car is needed. Oh, and food!

We’d use Aulani for a staycation because it’s a good place if you have kids. But it makes no sense to spend that much money to buy into a place that you live no more than 1 hour from just so you can get discounts staying there. It would be nice if Disney would welcome locals with decent discounts, but Hawaii is basically becoming one large resort, so I'm not surprised.

Looking at the last week of November 2017, if you booked through Davids, you would pay the following for one night on Wednesday Nov 29

$256-standard view hotel room

$272-standard view studio
$304-island view studio
$368-poolside view studio
$400-oceanview studio

$560-standard view 1 bedroom
$576-island view 1 bedroom
$704-pool view 1 bed
$736-oceanview 1 bed

and it goes up from there

Compare that to the Aulani website where a standard view hotel room is $469 and a studio is $534.

Interesting. We are going the last week of November and with the 30% off deal going on right now are paying less than that for a 1BDR Pool View Villa. I usually check David's for points but didn't even bother this time since it seems so hard to redeem at Aulani. I booked direct with Aulani a while ago but was able to call and have my rate adjusted.

Midori - have you checked lately with the sale for fall?

People buying DVC with Aulani as their home resort are paying a lot more than those buying at other DVC resorts - at least that's always been the case when I've checked, so I don't see it being worth it for a local. (I try not to check anymore, we backed away from the timeshare shopping and just book what we need, and always find deals or rentals.)

Interesting. We are going the last week of November and with the 30% off deal going on right now are paying less than that for a 1BDR Pool View Villa. I usually check David's for points but didn't even bother this time since it seems so hard to redeem at Aulani. I booked direct with Aulani a while ago but was able to call and have my rate adjusted.

@BayGirl22 you must be staying more than one night. @DnA2010 was asking about one night and I think the 30% off is if you are staying 4+ or possibly 5 nights.

Last time we went to Aulani we were really close when it came to the discount but again when I factored in that renting points included the parking it turned out cheaper for us, but then again we went last summer in August and I know pricing differs seasonally. I have read on these boards about people who book when the specials first come out and they get some great deals, I guess it depends on what is being offered and when you go.

One thing you probably all know from reading these boards is that IF you decide to rent points from someone you need to plan waaaay in advance! 7 months minimum if you want a lower priced studio or one bedroom for more than a few consecutive days. One night here and there you might be able to reserve after the 7 month mark.

Yes, we are there for 5. I think there's still a discount for fewer nights?

In general DVC is not the right choice for short stays or short lead time stays. It does have its benefits but not for a one night stay by locals. And its really an investment.

Yes, we are there for 5. I think there's still a discount for fewer nights?

In general DVC is not the right choice for short stays or short lead time stays. It does have its benefits but not for a one night stay by locals. And its really an investment.

I agree but I am talking about renting points from owners, not buying DVC itself.

I agree but I am talking about renting points from owners, not buying DVC itself.
Right. But as you said above DVC usually takes long lead times to get the cheapest options.
Is it even likely to find a short stay there by renting points? All the times I've checked for Grand Californian it's been impossible, and I thought Aulani was harder to get. But things may have loosened up?

Hawaii is one of the most expensive states to live in and our wages are not comparable to the cost of living. People often working 2 jobs just to make it here. Tack on the fact that average family in Hawaii is larger than the national average and it'll give you an idea of the limits most of us work in. Even for us to go to a different island for a long weekend, you're looking at about $200 pp at a 3-star hotel. If you want a resort, add about $100 pp.

And that's if you can even get a room in a resort. The boom in tourism means that popular hotels on all islands can be 90% sold out months ahead of time. Don't forget to add the cost of a rental car and gas if you're going to a place where a car is needed. Oh, and food!

We’d use Aulani for a staycation because it’s a good place if you have kids. But it makes no sense to spend that much money to buy into a place that you live no more than 1 hour from just so you can get discounts staying there. It would be nice if Disney would welcome locals with decent discounts, but Hawaii is basically becoming one large resort, so I'm not surprised.

Yes, Hawaii is so expensive from housing to food etc. Cars! Kudos to all the hard working families, many military, who hustle to make it work. The reward is those sunsets and waves! But you can't eat those!

You'd be surprised about DVC and Aulani. I see a lot of locals there with member bracelets and I'd venture that locals may be able to wring the max value out of it. You could go on low points and make 1 Night last for a weekend. Go sat am and hang at pools, check in at 3 or 4, take your food from home and use the full kitchens, park free, leave late Sunday night all for minimum points. You could prob get a small resale contract and get several weekends out of it a year for the next 45 years!

Yes, Hawaii is so expensive from housing to food etc. Cars! Kudos to all the hard working families, many military, who hustle to make it work. The reward is those sunsets and waves! But you can't eat those!

You'd be surprised about DVC and Aulani. I see a lot of locals there with member bracelets and I'd venture that locals may be able to wring the max value out of it. You could go on low points and make 1 Night last for a weekend. Go sat am and hang at pools, check in at 3 or 4, take your food from home and use the full kitchens, park free, leave late Sunday night all for minimum points. You could prob get a small resale contract and get several weekends out of it a year for the next 45 years!
Note- you'd have to have your weekends planned out 7-11 mos ahead but that's easy. And if you can't make it within 30 days cancel policy, you could easily rent it to friends for a couple hundred bucks.

My DH and I are looking at a budget trip to Oahu, just wondering any tips on getting a night or two at a cheaper rate- is the best value possibly a DVC rental? We are from Canada so the exchange already stings, but would love to visit for a day or two. We are looking at the last week of November.
Thank you for taking the time to read :)

Renting DVC points for a night or two would most certainly be the cheapest option but as PP noted, people typically book 7-11 months in advance for DVC. There may not be availability at this point or you may need to be flexible with your dates or which night during your trip you stay at Aulani.

If it were me and budget was the most important concern, I would stay elsewhere on the island like Waikiki and just visit Aulani for lunch or dinner or even a spa treatment. You could also use the beach and lagoon at Aulani, as all beaches in Hawaii are public. You just would not be permitted to use Aulani's chairs and umbrellas, but you could bring your own beach chairs or blankets and hang out on the beach and enjoy the lagoon at no cost. The only thing you'd be gaining by actually spending one night at Aulani is experiencing the room and the pools. While they are both very nice, I don't know if they are worth the cost/hassle of staying just one night at Aulani. The DVC studio rooms are smaller than a standard hotel room and if you're able to book a standard one, which is cheapest, the view will be nothing to write home about. And the pools are great but its not hard to find great pools at other resorts too.

Renting DVC points for a night or two would most certainly be the cheapest option but as PP noted, people typically book 7-11 months in advance for DVC. There may not be availability at this point or you may need to be flexible with your dates or which night during your trip you stay at Aulani.

If it were me and budget was the most important concern, I would stay elsewhere on the island like Waikiki and just visit Aulani for lunch or dinner or even a spa treatment. You could also use the beach and lagoon at Aulani, as all beaches in Hawaii are public. You just would not be permitted to use Aulani's chairs and umbrellas, but you could bring your own beach chairs or blankets and hang out on the beach and enjoy the lagoon at no cost. The only thing you'd be gaining by actually spending one night at Aulani is experiencing the room and the pools. While they are both very nice, I don't know if they are worth the cost/hassle of staying just one night at Aulani. The DVC studio rooms are smaller than a standard hotel room and if you're able to book a standard one, which is cheapest, the view will be nothing to write home about. And the pools are great but its not hard to find great pools at other resorts too.

This is really interesting, thank you! Are we able to check out the grounds if we go there to have lunch? Just not go into the pool area?

Ironically, I only go to the beach maybe once a month if that. I live in Honolulu where tall buildings block my view of the water, and my "sunset" consists of me watching the sun sink under the highway, not the beach or the mountains like many people assume.

Moving on, how are you defining "a lot" of locals? Regardless, they are not the norm. If you ask any local about this resort, the vast majority of them will immediately say how expensive it is. They won't talk about the character breakfast, the pools, Ama Ama, or any of the other things it offers. It's literally how much it cost, and a lot of times they won't even further the conversation after that. There's nothing to talk about if they can't afford to go.

I actually want to clarify that I am indignant on behalf of people I know who would love to stay at this resort but cannot afford it. I am a single woman with no children, so it's fairly easy for me to just go to another island for a long weekend when I want to get away. Even if I could stay at Aulani, I wouldn't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter