One solo Saturday in May

debster812

<font color=blue>DIS Earth Angel!<br><font color=0
Folks, need your help. I've posted on the CB and on the Theme Parks board, and someone suggested I ask you all as well.

I have the opportunity to attend a conference in Tampa/Clearwater the first weekend in May. The seminars would be Sun, Mon, Tues. If I get the OK from work, I may fly down Friday night, and spend Sat at WDW. Question is, what would YOU do? What park? DTD & West Side? Water Park? I'll take any and all advice.

Thanks

Debbie

Well........if it were me, I would arrnage to arrive at a WDW resort on Fri and spend Fri & Sat nights at WDW and then leave early Sun morning to go to the conference. You can be at Tampa in less than 2 hours from WDW, and that is giving yourself PLENTY of time for travel, stops, etc. When you arrive on Fri night first check into your room then head over to PI and go to the Adventurers Club and also catch a couple shows at the Comedy Warehouse. Sat morning, pick your favorite park and go early and spend a few hours then go back to your WDW resort and relax by the pool and then go to Epcot and have a nice dinner, tour the WS and then watch TOD and Illuminations. When Epcot closes head to DTD for some shopping or go back to PI for some more nighttime entertainment. The next morning get up and drive to Tampa for the conference. Since the conference begins on Sunday, you will be leaving early and you are heading away from WDW, you will not run into a lot of traffic.

I've gone to WDW solo at least 20 times. However, the shortest stay was probably about 6 days!

If I just had one day, I would choose one park and do it all. Although I like MK, if I just had one day, that would not be my park of choice. I would choose from the other three at the last moment depending on what I felt like that day. I do that often when I go, just follow where the spirit leads for each day.

Epcot and MGM are both great parks for spending all day and just seeing it all. Look for the street performers at either park and watch them. Most people really miss those types of things by having to hurry from one attraction to the other. If rides are what you enjoy, do them as many times as you like.

I love AK as well. I can spend a full day there and more. The shows are great and the jungle trek and forest walk are wonderful. The longer you spend on them, the better they are. Most people just zip through and miss so much. The afternoon parade is great as well. If you start with AK, you will still have the chance to do either Epcot or MGM later as AK closes early.

Stop and talk to the CM's. They are great to talk to and always have great stories to tell. Even if you go to AK, end the park portion of your day at either Epcot or MGM with Illuminations or with Fantasmic! The main thing is to look at the details. Stop and look at the themeing of the park. Check out the detail in the flowers. Notice how each country in the WS has different lamp posts that fit their country and watch how it transitions from one to the other. Pull the rope outside of Indiana Jones. Look for the hidden trail at AK. Stop and watch all those people that are pulling their hair out trying to figure out how to see this and then get over to the other side of the park in time for that and then back for the other (and smile because you are just enjoying the day).

I agree with DeeP, after the parks close, head to DD and/or PI. I go over to one, or both almost every night of my stay. Extends the day and is a lot of fun. Sometimes I just wander the stores or PI. Other times I go for something specific. I love the Adventurers Club.

May is the month at Epcot has it gardens - so if you like flowers or gardening go to it. May also used to be the month on the weekend when the Studios had the Star Wars stuff - but someone say they would not have it this year.:( :mad: :tongue:

So I would go to Epcot/Studio depending upon what is offered. And of course what you like. If none of this appeals to you - what you ever gone shopping in the resort gift shops? Sometimes this shops will have sales that you will not find elsewhere. You must ask the salesperson - they don't always put up the sales sign.

Well if I only had one day I would go to Busch Gardens...they also have a wonderful water park right next door. There are tons of things to do in the Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater area...why make the 90 minute (or more) drive to Disney?

You could go to the Dali museum, go bake on the beach, visit Ybor City, ...if the Gasparilla festival is then you could check that out as well. When I spent time in that area I would go running and/or hiking in the local parks. Check out the area guide for all 3 cities...each is unique and interesting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter