One week at Universal too long?

Alexsandra

Ready for the next adventure
Hi guys,
I am going to Orlando beginning of March 2018 with my husband and two boys (7 and 11 y.o.)
We've been to Disney over 6 times and did Universal twice. Our last trip was in 2012. They had not built the Diagon Alley. My kids want to go back to Universal. We are planning to stay at Cabana Bay to take advantage of the pools.

At first I was looking at a split stay: Disney 4 nights and Universal 4 nights. But it is a lot cheaper to stay at Cabana Bay for 1 week with 4 day park to park tickets including Volcano Bay. I am kind of all Disneyed out but my family wouldn't mind going again. I just don't know if one week at Universal is too long, is there enough to do?

What do you think?

Hi guys,
I am going to Orlando beginning of March 2018 with my husband and two boys (7 and 11 y.o.)
We've been to Disney over 6 times and did Universal twice. Our last trip was in 2012. They had not built the Diagon Alley. My kids want to go back to Universal. We are planning to stay at Cabana Bay to take advantage of the pools.

At first I was looking at a split stay: Disney 4 nights and Universal 4 nights. But it is a lot cheaper to stay at Cabana Bay for 1 week with 4 day park to park tickets including Volcano Bay. I am kind of all Disneyed out but my family wouldn't mind going again. I just don't know if one week at Universal is too long, is there enough to do?

What do you think?

I have the same thread . I wouldn't do cabana bay though at least not the whole time because you don't get express passes. You also probably want to look at the explorer ticket as you get more days if you will be there for a week.

I have the same thread . I wouldn't do cabana bay though at least not the whole time because you don't get express passes. You also probably want to look at the explorer ticket as you get more days if you will be there for a week.

What is the explorer ticket?

One week at Universal too long? I'm about to find out in a couple weeks... I've been concerned about that myself. We are spending one day at Disney to break it up a bit.

One week at Universal too long? I'm about to find out in a couple weeks... I've been concerned about that myself. We are spending one day at Disney to break it up a bit.
Cool! Let me know how it pans out after you get back

We do 18 nights usually, doing 19 this year.

We don't do the parks all day every day, but usually go in for at least a few hours most days.

We spend time at the resort, go to other hotels to eat dinner and we do spend time driving around Orlando for restaurants and generally passing time. Citywalk is fun for dinner and entertainment, and even at night is family orientated.

There's a fabulous pair of mini golf courses........alien on one side and haunted on the other.......the haunted side is really nice at night.

We never do Disney and haven't done since 09. Never felt the need to go back. Maybe not everyone's idea of a vacation, but suits us.

We never get bored. We like to repeat rides and shows and never ever have to rush around......we totally take our time and enjoy every second of our time at Universal.

So, no I don't think a week is too long.

Yes, but you obviously have large amounts of disposable income that most of us dont. I've love to go to halloween horror nights again but can't justify 400 plus dollars for one night let alone all the other expense of staying for so long. I'm sure its a lot of fun though.

We don't do the parks all day every day, but usually go in for at least a few hours most days.

We spend time at the resort, go to other hotels to eat dinner and we do spend time driving around Orlando for restaurants and generally passing time. Citywalk is fun for dinner and entertainment, and even at night is family orientated.

There's a fabulous pair of mini golf courses........alien on one side and haunted on the other.......the haunted side is really nice at night.

We never do Disney and haven't done since 09. Never felt the need to go back. Maybe not everyone's idea of a vacation, but suits us.

We never get bored. We like to repeat rides and shows and never ever have to rush around......we totally take our time and enjoy every second of our time at Universal.

Yes, but you obviously have large amounts of disposable income that most of us dont. I've love to go to halloween horror nights again but can't justify 400 plus dollars for one night let alone all the other expense of staying for so long. I'm sure its a lot of fun though.

It is a lot of fun.

Our personal income aside, as it has nothing to do with the question........ to answer the OP's original question, I stand by my comment you wouldn't be bored with a week's stay at Universal Orlando Resort.

It is a lot of fun.

Our personal income aside, as it has nothing to do with the question........ to answer the OP's original question, I stand by my comment you wouldn't be bored with a week's stay at Universal Orlando Resort.

Your personal income is irrelevant, the point is that, you go to Disney for a week, you get your tickets, you go to four theme parks, you can barely get everything done and likely won't get it all done. You go to universal, you have less parks, if you have express passes, can likely easily get done in 3 days and then it comes down to spending out of pocket for other things. Thats what I was pointing out.

We are likely doing universal for a week and will take our time, go slowly, meet all the characters, watch the shows etc as I don't plan on spending a ton more out of pocket. But someone who doesn't want to do that and do the other things around should be prepared that unlike disney where most is paid for, a lot of extra money may need to budgeted in.

Your personal income is irrelevant, the point is that, you go to Disney for a week, you get your tickets, you go to four theme parks, you can barely get everything done and likely won't get it all done. You go to universal, you have less parks, if you have express passes, can likely easily get done in 3 days and then it comes down to spending out of pocket for other things. Thats what I was pointing out.

We are likely doing universal for a week and will take our time, go slowly, meet all the characters, watch the shows etc as I don't plan on spending a ton more out of pocket. But someone who doesn't want to do that and do the other things around should be prepared that unlike disney where most is paid for, a lot of extra money may need to budgeted in.

You mentioned I have a high disposable income. Not me.

I assume you read my post to answer the OP question........yes there is plenty to do to fill a week at Universal, not whether you could get it all done in 3 days.

Resort hopping, pool hopping and spending time in Citywalk needn't cost anything.

As I said in previous post but will say again, I was replying to Alexsandra question of is a week at Universal too long.

I think I have covered that.

Thanks for your input. My husband and kids are dying to go back to Universal. My husband wants to do Universal the whole time and his argument is that we can relax and visit at a slower pace, schedule in some pool days and enjoy City walk in the evenings. My boys love anything scary or haunted so the haunted golf course will definitely be on our bucket list. I din't even know there was a mini golf course. They are going to love it! Thanks. I am reconsidering my split stay idea. I think a week might be fine after all.

Thanks for your input. My husband and kids are dying to go back to Universal. My husband wants to do Universal the whole time and his argument is that we can relax and visit at a slower pace, schedule in some pool days and enjoy City walk in the evenings. My boys love anything scary or haunted so the haunted golf course will definitely be on our bucket list. I din't even know there was a mini golf course. They are going to love it! Thanks. I am reconsidering my split stay idea. I think a week might be fine after all.

Good to hear.

It really can be as relaxing a trip as you want it to be.........I hope you have a fabulous time.......and yep, sounds like your boys will love the haunted side of the mini golf.......at night it really is cool looking.

Any questions, ask away......there are plenty of people on here happy to help......:thumbsup2

The thought of doing universal and Disney exhausts me. So.much.walking. I vote a week at universal. Especially since you can pool hop between resorts. If you
Get bored you could always do a day trip to beach or enjoy some of the other stuff around Orlando like an indoor ropes course.

I would think staying at one of the hotels though that give free express passes might make trip a lot more enjoyable if the cost isn't too crazy.

The subject of this thread is about one week at universal.

The postings about money and who has it to spend, is not acceptable for the subject matter.

When posts become personalized directed to one person, we are no longer on the subject of the thread.

This is when if you have a strong opinion, use the PM system and keep it off the thread.

Next time the subject changes, the thread will be closed.

The point I was trying to make and I'm in the same situation debating about this is that yes there is plenty of things to do, but unlike at Disney, a lot of those things cost extra money, mini golf, shows etc that you wouldn't be paying for at Disney. I think money certainly factors in when someone is debating about whether a week is too long.

The thought of doing universal and Disney exhausts me. So.much.walking. I vote a week at universal. Especially since you can pool hop between resorts. If you
Get bored you could always do a day trip to beach or enjoy some of the other stuff around Orlando like an indoor ropes course.

I would think staying at one of the hotels though that give free express passes might make trip a lot more enjoyable if the cost isn't too crazy.

Lol.......like your "so much walking" comment.......:rotfl:

Yep, we love a day driving to Clearwater or St Pete's.......nice way to pass a day. Even pool hopping is a nice thing to do as all the pools are different.........there really is plenty for the OP to do.......:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!