One week at Universal too long?

The point I was trying to make and I'm in the same situation debating about this is that yes there is plenty of things to do, but unlike at Disney, a lot of those things cost extra money, mini golf, shows etc that you wouldn't be paying for at Disney. I think money certainly factors in when someone is debating about whether a week is too long.

This thread is not a debate....
The subject is not about comparing two different parks.
The OP is aware of the one of the parks and has asked about UO.

The only reference to money was made by the OP which is stated in the first post.

(At first I was looking at a split stay: Disney 4 nights and Universal 4 nights. But it is a lot cheaper to stay at Cabana Bay for 1 week with 4 day park to park tickets including Volcano Bay.)

We stayed a full week and it was wonderful. We did go to Disney for a party night one night. The rest of the time was a very luxurious vacation. This was before Volcano Bay, before the mini putt, before Cabana Bay and their pools and before Blue Man Group. We didn't spend anything for any extras...other than the one evening at WDW.

This is a topic that is going to have multiple opinions. It really is based upon the type of vacation you like to have. If you like to go, go, go at the parks, then a Universal vacation for a week may not be for you. If you are happy to sleep in, spend time at the resorts, spend time just hanging out enjoying all the resort has to offer, then there will definitely be enough time. Heck, people do all inclusive tropical vacations all the time for a week that don't have nearly the amount of things to do that there is at Universal.

Last edited:
::yes::::yes::::yes::
We stayed a full week and it was wonderful. We did go to Disney for a party night one night. The rest of the time was a very luxurious vacation. This was before Volcano Bay, before the mini putt, before Cabana Bay and their pools and before Blue Man Group. We didn't spend anything for any extras...other than the one evening at WDW.

This is a topic that is going to have multiple opinions. It really is based upon the type of vacation you like to have. If you like to go, go, go at the parks, then a Universal vacation for a week may not be for you. If you are happy to sleep in, spend time at the resorts, spend time just hanging out enjoying all the resort has to offer, then there will definitely be enough time. Heck, people do all inclusive tropical vacations all the time for a week that don't have nearly the amount of things to do then there is at Universal.
No I definitely would not mind vacationing at a slower pace! I just didn't realize that there was so much to do! I'm convinced! Thanks;)

I don't think we would ever consider doing both Universal and Disney in a single trip, just based on cost. You pay so much for the first 2-3 days, that it just isn't cost effective.

On our first trip to Universal in April, we (myself, DW, DD9, and DD10) stayed 6 nights at Cabana Bay. We went to the parks for the extra hour every day and stayed until mid-afternoon every day. We went to the pool, City Wlak, Blue Man Group, and Disney Springs at night. We were so bored that we're planning our second trip in October for 5 nights :)

We'll see how the family feels after our second trip. We didn't try visit any of the other resort restaurants or pools, so we'll definitely explore them this time (especially if we get EP).

I have a feeling the kids we'll want to go back a third time before our APs expire next spring...

Chris

I definitely don't think you'd get tired of Universal in a week, especially if you're Harry Potter fans. There is so much to do in both of the lands now, especially since you can take the Hogwarts Express both ways and get a different experience. The shops and shows in both can take up a lot of time too without getting boring. My family doesn't buy a lot of merchandise but we love Harry Potter so it can take a lot of our time just to look at everything they have! Also there are little things that are fun when you're tired in the parks - last trip it was hot and we were tired, so we just spent an hour drinking our Butterbeer and watching people interact with the fountain in the Lost Continent. We usually do two weeks and split our time between Disney and Universal, and I never feel tired of either at the end, and a lot of times I get home thinking about things we didn't get to do that we'll have to try next time!

Hi guys,
I am going to Orlando beginning of March 2018 with my husband and two boys (7 and 11 y.o.)
We've been to Disney over 6 times and did Universal twice. Our last trip was in 2012. They had not built the Diagon Alley. My kids want to go back to Universal. We are planning to stay at Cabana Bay to take advantage of the pools.

At first I was looking at a split stay: Disney 4 nights and Universal 4 nights. But it is a lot cheaper to stay at Cabana Bay for 1 week with 4 day park to park tickets including Volcano Bay. I am kind of all Disneyed out but my family wouldn't mind going again. I just don't know if one week at Universal is too long, is there enough to do?

What do you think?

You should sell the kids:duck:JK. I still find myself dragging adult kids along now & again & enjoy treating my GD.

Orlando is very expensive, moreso with kids!

Split trips are higher as both major parks have structured tickets/DPs & ME @ WDW to keep guests onsite.

I'm a type A person, get bored in one place on vacation and do split trips. Retired, I am lucky to be able to visit often via cheap airfare in my market. Eight days onsite, especially without FOTL perk, may be a necessity depending upon the time of year.

Everyone has a certain disposable income, how they choose to spend it is their business. I find myself often explaining to those that ask how do we 'do it'. we spend the bulk of our entertainment budget on travel. Many friends & family prefer to go out to eat several times a month, drive new cars every two years, live in a McMansion & then complain they have no $ leftover for travel. There is no right or wrong but i find people surely aren't shy commenting on other's personal business or lifestyle choices.

We are fortunate to own DVC (which i slowly saved up for over the years & added on slowly BTW) that affords us various discounts as to tickets/rooms. Even then, we often book room only onsite @ WDW. The price i just paid for the 2nd week there in October via a promotion is frightening indeed. Same to be said for availablity @ both parks. It's a business, they will charge what the market will bear.

The APH @ Universal helps you out with discounts, make sure to price out your hotel room via the discount. Possibly, you could find a good rate at one of the properties that offers the FOTL perk. You can then add on just one. Check out the date/rate thread here for what others have found & the historical pricing in previous years' threads.

Good luck planning your trip.

You should sell the kids:duck:JK. I still find myself dragging adult kids along now & again & enjoy treating my GD.

Orlando is very expensive, moreso with kids!

Split trips are higher as both major parks have structured tickets/DPs & ME @ WDW to keep guests onsite.

I'm a type A person, get bored in one place on vacation and do split trips. Retired, I am lucky to be able to visit often via cheap airfare in my market. Eight days onsite, especially without FOTL perk, may be a necessity depending upon the time of year.

Everyone has a certain disposable income, how they choose to spend it is their business. I find myself often explaining to those that ask how do we 'do it'. we spend the bulk of our entertainment budget on travel. Many friends & family prefer to go out to eat several times a month, drive new cars every two years, live in a McMansion & then complain they have no $ leftover for travel. There is no right or wrong but i find people surely aren't shy commenting on other's personal business or lifestyle choices.

We are fortunate to own DVC (which i slowly saved up for over the years & added on slowly BTW) that affords us various discounts as to tickets/rooms. Even then, we often book room only onsite @ WDW. The price i just paid for the 2nd week there in October via a promotion is frightening indeed. Same to be said for availablity @ both parks. It's a business, they will charge what the market will bear.

The APH @ Universal helps you out with discounts, make sure to price out your hotel room via the discount. Possibly, you could find a good rate at one of the properties that offers the FOTL perk. You can then add on just one. Check out the date/rate thread here for what others have found & the historical pricing in previous years' threads.

Good luck planning your trip.
:rotfl2:. No but really, it does get expensive to do the split stay, even though I am still not canceling out the idea. I am still apprehensive about getting bored. Not my husband;he loves staying in one place and relaxing.

I started looking at getting one APH to save on the onsite hotels, the ones that include express pass. The APH discount are not out yet so I could book Cabana Bay in case and cancel if/when the APH discounts are released later. Since it would help me save on food and merchandise in the parks it might be worth the costs. I checked the crowd calendar and it looks like it will be very crowded at that time of year. We like motion simulator rides but can't take the big roller coasters so we will skip those and with a good touring plan can still make it work without the express pass. But we really liked Hard Rock Hotel on our last trip so might try and stay there if I can get an APH discount.

We've done 8-9 nights at Universal almost every year including this August (2011 and 2015 were the exceptions) since Hogsmeade opened in 2010, and love it! There is most definitely a lot to do, and it's very relaxing.

I agree with the others about the slower pace of it, it's nice to go slow and take the time to enjoy the details that are everywhere in the parks. The pools at Cabana Bay are AWESOME!! We take one day and just swim and hang out at the pool, DD10 loves the lazy river. Don't get me wrong, we love Disney and do it every few years hence our years off from Universal, but it's a different type of vacation.

You won't be disappointed with your choice of staying a week :thumbsup2

Every time we go, we say it wasn't long enough & tack on more days the next time. :)

Last time, we were up to 8 days & still didn't want to leave. We get dropped off at our hotel (Tony Hinds), and we walk or take the boats everywhere. We don't leave Universal property the whole time. Besides spending money for trinkets (which the kids save for themselves) and a treat every day (usually Butterbeer), we don't pay for any extras.

We get up whenever, mosey to the parks, do what we want, when we want.

Of course, everyone is different (I would be bored to death by day 2 on a beach), but we have never been bored at Universal. I'm hoping to go longer than 8 days next summer (if DH can get his vacations back-to-back.)

And just in case anyone is wondering, DH is a manual laborer, I am a stay-at-home mom, and we have 3 boys. Extra money is not in our vocabulary. We like to vacation at Universal, so we save all year...no going out to eat until Universal, no cell phones, most basic cable, one car. Not saying everyone would enjoy our life, but we're happy :D

We are thinking of doing a week at Universal this time (next July) along with some time on Idrive. We did 3 nights at Hard Rock in July and we didn't get everything done. We didn't see any of the shows, we would have liked to do the golf, the cinema and blue man group. We had spent 12 nights at Animal Kingdom lodge and we had a great time but I was tired out. I loved how chilled and relaxed we could be at Universal with the express passes, longer lies, more pool time, deciding on the day what we wanted to ride or where we wanted to eat. Don't get me wrong I love Disney and on most trips I've done mainly Disney with a little Universal but its much easier for me to switch off and relax at Universal. I'd never thank you for a purely beach or pool holiday but its nice to have down time without having to plan it.
I don't think we will be bored, my only slight concern is the variety of places to eat but there is always uber as we won't have a car. We just need to make a decision on a hotel. my heart says hard rock but my budget says RPR.

I could easily spend a week at Universal! (And with that long, I could even go without Express passes.)

We are thinking of doing a week at Universal this time (next July) along with some time on Idrive. We did 3 nights at Hard Rock in July and we didn't get everything done. We didn't see any of the shows, we would have liked to do the golf, the cinema and blue man group. We had spent 12 nights at Animal Kingdom lodge and we had a great time but I was tired out. I loved how chilled and relaxed we could be at Universal with the express passes, longer lies, more pool time, deciding on the day what we wanted to ride or where we wanted to eat. Don't get me wrong I love Disney and on most trips I've done mainly Disney with a little Universal but its much easier for me to switch off and relax at Universal. I'd never thank you for a purely beach or pool holiday but its nice to have down time without having to plan it.
I don't think we will be bored, my only slight concern is the variety of places to eat but there is always uber as we won't have a car. We just need to make a decision on a hotel. my heart says hard rock but my budget says RPR.

Keep checking prices.

At times the other hotels can be cheaper than RPR..........depends how they've booked up. Always worth checking regularly.

Yes, a beach holiday would bore me to tears too.....but I do like pool time at RP as it really is so relaxing.

If you don't have a car Uber would be ideal for you as there are plenty of offsite restaurants within a 10/15 minute car ride away.

Keep checking prices.

At times the other hotels can be cheaper than RPR..........depends how they've booked up. Always worth checking regularly.

Yes, a beach holiday would bore me to tears too.....but I do like pool time at RP as it really is so relaxing.

If you don't have a car Uber would be ideal for you as there are plenty of offsite restaurants within a 10/15 minute car ride away.

Thanks. Its hardly like RPR would be a bad choice for a 7 night stay, lol.

If HRH is a few dollars more expensive than RPR, I would pick HRH. I just find the rooms bigger and more comfy than RPR. Plus walking distance to the park is worth its weight in gold. But RPR grounds are stunning!

If HRH is a few dollars more expensive than RPR, I would pick HRH. I just find the rooms bigger and more comfy than RPR. Plus walking distance to the park is worth its weight in gold. But RPR grounds are stunning!
Thats the problem its not, its £500 for the week more expensive than RPR. HRH was just so chilled for the 3 nights I can totally imagine loving 7 nights of that vibe... I know the sensible choice is RPR

For us, I think it's getting out of the mentality that a Universal vacation means running from ride to ride the whole time we're there. Our first time there was last year for 5 days and even with that we felt like we needed to run the entire time we were there. It'll be interesting to see if we can force ourselves to chill out a bit and relax. No guarantees, we'll see how it goes!

DH is attending a meeting here. We are here for three nights. We enjoyed the early morning opening and will do so tomorrow but as frequent Disney guests, three days is plenty.

I would do Universal Studios one day, Volcano the next, then Islands, and on day 4 and 5 you can enjoy the hotel and pool, go around Citywalk...so for the 2 extra days, maybe you're looking at doing one (or 2) Disney parks, or Disney park and Disney Springs, or other...

We are here now at Universal, doing 4 nights at RPR, then 5 at BW, and 7 day DIS western cruise. I have to say, of the 3 hotels (we've done PF 3 nights and HR 9 nights in club) I'm really liking everything about the Royal Pacific. I think it could be our favourite.

Had a fabulous meal at Toothsome last night - awesome quality food and atmosphere.

A few things to point out:

1. If you haven't seen Diagon Alley and (obviously) haven't done Volcano Bay, then yes I really think you can fill a week at a very leisurely pace. Please check out Diagon Alley at night-my personal favourite... with some ice cream in hand taking it all in.

2. If you can swing it, stay at a hotel that offers EP. I suggest RP - been here 2 days - have NO IDEA why it's the least expensive of the 3 Loews??? Love it so far. Will likely come back given the choice of the 3 EP offering hotels.

3. We love Disney too - if you want to save money... do what I do ... rent points from a DVC member. It's cheaper than nights at any onsight at both Uni and certainly Disney.

4. Book early- we plan 10-12 months ahead of time to get the best savings. Even the cruise- got something like a 20% discount via putting a deposit down last time we cruised - provided we cruised within 2 years. Will likely do it again this time.

5. Universal is way more relaxed than Disney-but even Disney can be relaxing if you prepare yourself with the fact that .... "you won't see and do everything ... so get over it." :-) For example - we did Volcano Bay yesterday am. We were there at the open 7:30 am - followed some great advice from other DIS members - did most everything by 1pm (BUT NOT EVERYTHING) ... left before real chaos ensued ... hung out at the RP pool in the afternoon (took advantage of the Hurricane Glass specialty drink discount :-) ) ... and survived ... hehe! First world problems.

.... on a side note ... the Jimmy Fallon ride was great... the pre-show (although long) had us in stitches. The Panda hung out with me and the family...loved that... it was hilarious.

On vacation now, so I won't be lurking on the boards too much (insomnia can be a good thing - hence I'm here) but I think that sums it up for me.

Cheers & happy planning.

Last edited:
The longest trip to Universal for us has been 5 days but I could do two weeks, easily. We love going to Universal so much, I've actually joked that it would be neat to own a "Condo" at the Portofino or Royal Pacific. Of course, Universal doesn't have any condos...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!