Only have 1/2 day - is it worth it?

thebeesknees

DIS Veteran
We have a long layover in Hong Kong during our trip to Asia this summer. We get in about 5 AM and have to be back to the airport by 1:30 PM that afternoon for our 4:30 flight. Originally, we were just going to see a bit of the city and then go back to the airport, but DH saw that there is some sort of 1/2 day pass for HK Disneyland that we could get by showing our boarding passes at the gate, and we are wondering if it would be worth it to give it a try. The park looks like it would open at 9, and we would have until maybe 12:45ish to tour before we would need to head back to the airport. We will have our DS9 and DD7 with us.

Which attractions would you recommend if you only had 1/2 a day to tour? We have been to Disneyland in CA 2x, and WDW in Orlando 3x, so some of the attractions look like they might be duplicates of the other parks? Realistically, I am thinking we would only have time for 3 or 4 things, depending on how crowded it is. It looks like a much smaller park than the ones here in the US, so perhaps it wouldn't take so long to get from one end to the other. Would we be better off skipping it altogether since we have so little time? I doubt we will ever be back in Hong Kong again, so it's not like we could just plan to do it some other time. Thanks!

IMO, the park currently doesn't have enough of unique attractions. It's a nice little park, but if you've already been to both resorts in the U.S., you might not find much that's different.

In a few years when they open the 3 new lands it will be much more of a destination.

If there was a unique "blockbuster" attraction there, I'd say sure, go and see it, but right now, there isn't.

I think it is worth it. When we were there the lines were mostly non-existent - Space Mountain was 5 minutes all day long. I even took a picture of the wait sign because I had never seen a 5 minute wait listed before. No, there is nothing unique, except for the atmosphere. Oh, and the main street bakery has some unique items that are to die for good. I would spend half a day wandering around.

I'd do ti without a doubt! I'd spend all my time wandering around and soaking up the atmosphere though. I know that when i got home I'd be kicking myself for not taking advantage of having a few hours there, knowing that I may never get back to HK again.

What day of the week will you be there?

There's not much that's unique, but it does have a great atmosphere.

When I went (admittedly I've only been once) it literally felt like I had the place to myself - Space Mountain was a walk-on all day (I rode it again and again and again until I felt sick!) as was every other ride. At the moment, that's part of the attraction. It's like taking Disneyland or Magic Kingdom, taking out 2/3 of the rides, but then taking out all of the crowds. It's still a nice place to spend time.

Personally, if it was a weekday, I would do it. If it was a weekend or a holiday (i.e. "normal" crowd levels like you'd see in the US parks) then I'm not quite so sure, but maybe. [Purely because Hong Kong is a fantastic city to see, and to miss that would also be a shame!]

DH was there yesterday......1/2 day park for him.
Saturday and still no lines.

When we went, the park really only took us about 1/2 day...

As others have said, it really isn't different than the parks in the US however, I am glad went :).

There was one show which was unique to Hong Kong however I do not recall what it was called.. (maybe golden mickey?)

Hong Kong is a great city, if you do not go to Disney, go to the peak or just see a little bit of the city.

Wow, it's great to hear of an uncrowded HK disneyland!!

A few of my family members and friends have been and all they do is complain about the lines and the crowds.

I really want to make at least 1 trip to HK disneyland when I visit my dad, but mostly for Duffy. It's great to know I won't have any problems with lines!

I'm also really looking forward to hearing the Jungle Cruise in both Chineses!

This is the first I've heard of them adding more lands. That sounds great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!