Only one pair of shoes? Opinions needed!

twinmom13

Registered
I know, I know, you should take at least two pairs of shoes so that you can alternate if your feet hurt or the shoes are too wet, and that is exactly what we did last time we went: we had two pairs of Converse each and were very glad we did because they got soaked. But this time, I am tempted to only take one pair of shoes each. We all have Keen sandals and have been wearing them all summer with absolutely no issues. We can wear them all day with no blisters or discomfort, and they dry extremely fast. The shoes we were planning to take as backups are ok, but definitely rub blisters after a while, so I doubt we would decide to wear them unless there was an emergency. We are trying to get away with only taking one bag each, a small enough bag to fit under the seat on the plane so we don't have to worry about space in the overhead compartment. Since luggage space is scarce and we probably will not wear the backup shoes, I am tempted to leave them at home. So, what do you think? Is this ok? Too big a risk? I need someone to either reassure me or talk some sense into me. Thank you!

Well - you know you best! Sounds like you'll be just fine with the Keens.
I always pack more than one pair of shoes, and almost always end up wearing just the one pair!

A fresh pair of socks mid-day is like a party for your feet! (I'd wear socks with Keen's, no shame in my socks game at Disney).

Worst case, you can buy a pair of Crocs at the park if there's a shoe emergency.

Are you prepared to buy a second pair of shoes while on vacation if the worst happens? Either flip flops/crocs from a gift shop, running shoes from DS or an Amazon delivery. If not, pack a second pair.

There was a pair of croc sandals with silver mickey heads that I wanted, but couldn't justify paying $50. The next trip, I took less shoes with the thought that I could buy the other ones if I needed them.

Last time we went we each only brought one pair of shoes and then some flip flops for the pool. Sadly, it never occurred to me to bring a second pair in case the other pair got wet. We had zero issues with our one pair that trip, however this next trip I may just have to bring a second pair for everybody.

Thank you all so much for your comments! I am still undecided, but I definitely appreciate all of your perspectives and experiences. We only have three park days, so the opportunity for a shoe emergency is limited, and the fact that replacement shoes are readily available to buy definitely helps. On the other hand, I hate to be unprepared. Decisions, decision. But hey, whatever happens, I'm going to Disney World!

I'm an adult and without explaining whole situation, I actually lost a shoe in Magic Kingdom!!!

Ok, I have to know, what happened?

My sister once lost a shoe at our local amusement park. It was the '80s when the style was to wear Keds without laces. She was riding the Skyride and her shoe slipped off, landing in the pool of the Log Ride! She had to wait around until the end of the night for them to drain it, but they never found it.

I have a pair of Tevas that have been great and I can wear for walking at home no problem. Three days and 33 miles of walking later at Disneyland and my feet were a bit of a mess.

If you had a good pair to be your backup, I'd say better safe than sorry and you should bring them. But if your secondary pair is only mediocre, then maybe you'd end up having to buy shoes if something happened to the first pair anyway. Do you have sneakers? I will say that at home I walk anywhere from 7,000 to 13,000 steps on a typical day. But at Disney I walk about 22,000 a day, and it does make a difference. I have several pairs of sandals I can wear comfortably for 13,000 but not 22,000. So I guess it comes down to what you'd do if your first pair doesn't work out for some reason. If you feel like you'd be stuck buying and breaking in new shoes, then leave #2 at home.

I always take at least 4 pairs of shoes and I use all of them. Runners, flip flops, Skechers and Keens. My feet do best when I switch things up.

I am planning 2 pairs of sneakers (ASICS that I usually run in, and a new pair of NB that I am in the process of trying to break in). I’ll also bring flip flops for the pool and resort and probably one pair of nicer but comfy sandals just in case. For my kids I’m bringing 2 pairs of sneakers and a pair of flip flops for the resort.

Oh and I’m bringing my slippers!

Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!