Only the Kids will be Whining This Time (August 2018)-FP Day Tomorrow (6/28)

My son had his annual checkup this morning and he is officially past the 40" mark (40.25 inches to be exact). Hurrah!

Today I'm thinking about airport transportation options. I live a 10 minute drive or one subway stop away from our airport, so usually this is the easiest part of the travel, but we're leaving before the crack of dawn and the trains won't be running yet. Normally, in this scenario I'd uber, but I have two kids who both need some kind of car seat and uberfamily only has 1 car seat (and I'm not sure there will be one available at the time I need to leave). So, I'm weighing options and trying to decide what to do (it may well be a travel day decision). On the way home, we can take the train so the car isn't needed.

Options:
A) Drive and park at the airport. The "economy" parking at my airport isn't really economy--it's $17 a day. So this would be $119 for the duration of our visit, and we'd have to deal with the airport shuttle. I could bump up to daily parking for $25 a day (an extra $56) which would be closer and wouldn't need a shuttle (though would still involve hauling our bags from the parking garage.) It would also mean we have our car on the way home and don't need to deal with the train.

B) Buy two cheap booster seats (Walmart has some for $10/each) and uber/lyft. It's about $15 for a ride from my house to the airport, so this option would be about $35. I probably wouldn't be able to fit these in my bag (maybe 1) so they'd get tossed at the airport. I feel weird about that, but it would also be a lot cheaper. If an uber family was available, then my son could use the car seat and we just take one booster.

C) Hope and pray that my sister feels generous. There are two possible options here. My sister and her family are visiting and leave the day after we leave for Disney. So, there is a chance that she or my BiL be willing to either 1) drive us to the airport in our car, in which case we'd get dropped off right at the terminal and use our own car seats and not incur any cost--but involves asking her to be awake at 4:30 am or 2) pick my car up at the airport later that day in which case I would only have to pay 1 day of parking ($25).

Option C seems like the best choice--and I think the odds are pretty good that she could pick my car up for me. It would cut almost $100 from budget which is nice, my kids would have their regular car seats, I could load up the car the night before, and I'm not buying single-use car seats.

Tomorrow is Fast Pass Day! Conveniently, I work from home on Fridays and my kids are with their dad--so I should be able to be on the site in peace and quiet without worrying about being late for work. I've created a spreadsheet with my hoped for times, and my ADRs so that I can slot everything in. My priority list for booking is:

FP Priority List
Slinky Dog 9/1 1pm
Swirling Saucers 8/30 2pm
SDMT 8/31 11am
SDMT 9/2 2pm
Navi 8/29 9:30 am

Then I'll go back and book the rest of my days in roughly this order. The rest of my Fast Passes are for rides that have more availability and we can be more flexible with them.
MK 8/28
AK 8/29
MK 8/31
MK 9/2
HS 8/30
HS 9/1

My biggest concern right now is Slinky Dog. My kids are now really excited about doing Jedi Training, so my HS day is getting more complicated. We have an 11:30 am ADR at Sci-Fi. I would like to do Jedi training in the morning (if possible) but had been thinking that we might try to get on Toy Story Mania in the morning since we won't have FP for it. (I'm planning to get Alien Swirling Saucers on our other HS day). Oh well, maybe we'll be able to get on TSM on our other afternoon in HS if the lines aren't too crazy. Worst case, I'll cancel my reservation if things don't work out. My kids are too young for the other rides here (well, technically they're tall enough for ToT but I refuse to go on it!) so my other FP may end up being throwaways (if it seems like there might be any chance to pick up a TSM 4th FP?). Will be keeping an eye on reports once TSL opens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter