Onward

I just watched Onward on Dis+ 2 nights ago. I couldn't believe it was there already. I really enjoyed it and plan to watch it again. If you haven't seen it I do recommend it. Too bad it didn't have a chance at the theaters with this damn virus. I think it would have done really well.

I am always going to remember Onward.

Thursday, March 12. We picked up the oldest from the bus stop and went straight to the theaters. We watched the movie, enjoyed it, and decided to get Mexican for dinner. During the car ride between the theater and the restaurant, I got the call that school was closed the following day (Friday) and a determination for the future would be announced. That was the last normal day for us.

I am always going to remember Onward.

Thursday, March 12. We picked up the oldest from the bus stop and went straight to the theaters. We watched the movie, enjoyed it, and decided to get Mexican for dinner. During the car ride between the theater and the restaurant, I got the call that school was closed the following day (Friday) and a determination for the future would be announced. That was the last normal day for us.

Yeah, seeing Onward was like the last normal thing that I did. It was that Thursday where everything changed and things started to feel weird. I still felt like I could go to a movie but by the end of the weekend I felt like I couldn't anymore.

People who liked Onward might like the similarly themed (but not D&D inspired) Fullmetal Alchemist on Netflix.

It to is about 2 brothers who have to deal with the consequences of trying to bring back a loved one (there mother as opposed to there father) and how the brothers relationships grow.

Zero interest in watching "Blue Shrek", even for free. Sorry Pixar. Not this time.

To be fair, the story is not really much like Shrek. The animation style is definitely in that ballpark though and I did feel it looked more "Dreamworks-y" than Pixar. The story is more like a Pixar movie really, even if that's not apparent on the surface. It's definitely not their best one though - but not their worst either.

Last edited:

There are many newer youtube channels that have popped up recently that do nothing but shower their viewers with negative comment about whatever 'nerd' related offering some may be looking forward to enjoying on any given week. The last Star Wars film was one example and during the ramp up to Onward I saw many of these folks getting revved up about it's release and how it was going to bomb. These pundits generally get me even more interested in these offerings and it definitely did so with this film and Star Wars actually.

I enjoyed the last SW's film and I also enjoyed Onward when I got to see it with my son the weekend before its release during a special screening at my local AMC. I've watched it a few times since that viewing and I must say it feels like a cult classic in the making. I saw a few D&D references in this thread and that's one of the main reasons I also enjoyed it but not the only reason. I loved the journey and where said journey took me and my son as viewers. It was a bit of a slow or uphill climb I guess but the climb got progressively more enjoyable with each step and it peaked in such a special way. It's funny because when it was about to peak the power went out in the theater which is something I think that I'll always remember.

I loved the world and where it ended up and just like the world Zootopia was set in I walked away wanting more stories to grow out of what I saw. Since the film is labeled a bomb I'm guessing this won't occur but like the recent 'Rapunzel: A Tangled Adventure' just showed us these stories sometimes have longer legs then what we first experience on that big screen. Sorry to be long winded but I just felt like being long winded about a film that I feel hasn't and probably never will get a fair shake.

Last edited:
Well, the coronavirus circumstances have been rather unfortunate, but I absolutely enjoyed Onward, so I still have a feeling it'll be a huge hit on Disney+, once it becomes more widely available in other territories.

To be fair, the story is not really much like Shrek. The animation style is definitely in that ballpark though and I did feel it looked more "Dreamworks-y" than Pixar. The story is more like a Pixar movie really, even if that's not apparent on the surface. It's definitely not tehir best one though - but not their worst either.

Totally agree about the look and feel of the movie - more DreamWorks than Pixar- loved Holland and Pratt, but didn't really connect with the characters. Just felt like they lack the normal Pixar "touch", like a felt with movies like Coco, TS, UP, Wall-E, and Ratatouille

I did too! Is it up there with Coco? No, but nothing can top Coco for me.

It was a sweet story and maybe because I live with a D&D, Magic The Gathering kind of guy, I really related! :D

I played many role playing games back in the day and I am a huge Lord of the Rings fan. I can understand why the plot would hit close to home for some, but most Pixar movies have an element of sadness. I go in expecting that. I saw Inside Out right after my mom died and it was very hard for me to sit through. I still love it, though.

Onward is solid Pixar, but nowhere near their best. I thought it lacked a bit of a spark until the end,when it all finally came together. It had a bit fewer laughs, and I wasn't sure how much I really cared about the characters until the ending.

Lasseter has character flaws, but he's a story-telling genius. I think we're feeling his absence. It seemed to me that Pixar was running the Lasseter playbook in this movie, but sometimes the playbook or recipe isn't everything. Two technically proficient musicians can play the same music and one leaves you gasping while the other makes you say "That was nice." This was nice.

It was the last normal thing we did before everything started closing. The theater we went to had every other seat blocked and there were only 4 of us and one other group of people. This was opening weekend so I really wouldn't say it was a bomb. It never got an actual release. It came out and people here were already starting to stay at home. I think the next day the theater closed.

I loved it, but we all play D&D so the references were right on for us.

To be fair, the story is not really much like Shrek. The animation style is definitely in that ballpark though and I did feel it looked more "Dreamworks-y" than Pixar. The story is more like a Pixar movie really, even if that's not apparent on the surface. It's definitely not their best one though - but not their worst either.
I did also feel that the film had a bit of a DreamWorksesque vibe to it, as much as I still enjoyed it. The setting did in a way remind me of Shrek, given that it was set in a fairy- and folktale universe, but Onward adds a more modern twist to it, with present-day technology.

just saw it yesterday on disney+

thought it was cool
Still waiting for it to come out here in the UK. Disney UK really have their head in the sand not bothering to release it on Disney+ while the cinemas are closed, yet Universal managed to bypass the cinemas. Why is it so difficult to bring it out here, yet they can in other countries they've managed to so far?

Still waiting for it to come out here in the UK. Disney UK really have their head in the sand not bothering to release it on Disney+ while the cinemas are closed, yet Universal managed to bypass the cinemas. Why is it so difficult to bring it out here, yet they can in other countries they've managed to so far?
I read one comment elsewhere that they are probably contracted to release it on Sky first.

I read one comment elsewhere that they are probably contracted to release it on Sky first.
Saw it being listed with a June release date. That's still a very long time given that we've yet to come out of our lockdown, and we don't even know whether or not cinemas will reopen in the initial phase of the lockdown exit, and if the films that were originally slated for March (including Onward, which barely saw a whole week before the lockdown) will still be in situ. In my opinion, monolithic deals that don't have a force majeure clause Disney could exercise in events like these have no place in today's world, as much as it was unexpected. Seeing as it looks like it was the last film being subject to the deal, I hope that future pandemics will mean Disney are able to utilise the same flexibility they already can in the US and certain other territories.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!