Open relationship...

• An excuse to cheat

Votes: 82 62.1%
  • Perfectly fine

Votes: 32 24.2%
  • Other: comment!

Votes: 18 13.6%

• Total voters
Is this something people actually do? I was born in the 90s so maybe it is just more of a thing for my generation or younger people but I just don't get it...thoughts?

Edit: This is a no judgement zone :rolleyes1 just wanted to see what you all thought about it! lol

Last edited:
I don't think I should be offering up an opinion especially since psychologists are still trying to figure out whether polyamory is a choice or part of a person's nature.

All I will say is that it's not a way I could live my life. If others want to, it's not my business. As long as there isn't a way to get extra tax benefits by being in multiple marriages.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...r/201610/is-polyamory-form-sexual-orientation

I don’t do either, but swinging seems more tolerable to me than an open relationship. Swinging is something that you would do together, an open relationship seems too much like cheating.

Your poll choice should not be "An excuse to cheat," since if it is truly an open relationship, they're not cheating...
I say that simply because a few of my friends have been in situations where the person tells them they are in an “open relationship”, when in actuality, the other half doesn’t know that they are in an “open relationship”, and the person is just cheating.

I don’t get to control how other people live and what they do, nor do I spend much time dwelling on it, but to me, this would be an unthinkable violation of my personal morality. To my knowledge I have never known anybody who has this kind of relationship so I have no real insight into what motivates it. I do wonder about the people who become involved with people who are in “open” relationships. Are the “open” ones being as honest with them as they are with their spouses/SO’s so as not to lead them on?

If all parties are aware, consenting adults why not?
You are correct that they are “allowed” to engage in an open relationship since they are consenting adults.

My response to the “why not” would be that it never seems to work out long-term. From what I have witnessed, at least one party always winds up hurt.

Every case I personally know, the open relationship was suggested/initiated by one partner and the other went along with it either because they wanted their partner to be happy or because they feared losing their partner if they did not agree.

Your poll choice should not be "An excuse to cheat," since if it is truly an open relationship, they're not cheating...
Yes, but it is often brought up in a relationship as an alternative by one partner who would otherwise be cheating so I think “an excuse to cheat” is an accurate description for many.

This is one of those things to me that it is something that consenting adults could agree to. In theory, I could see how it could work.

The issue, in my opinion, is that it is easy to say that the other relationship is "only physical" or that there is no emotional component to it, until one of the parties starts to want more. This is very often what happens and what leads to issues for all involved.

I say that simply because a few of my friends have been in situations where the person tells them they are in an “open relationship”, when in actuality, the other half doesn’t know that they are in an “open relationship”, and the person is just cheating.
If one partner is not aware of the open relationship, it is not an open relationship. That IS cheating. In an open relationship, both partners have consented.

I do not judge people on things that have absolutely NO effect on my life. Who anyone sleeps with is absolutely none of my business and completely their choice. One family has a lucrative TV show for having an open relationship with one guy and several women.

Most of the people I know who were/are in open relationships are over 50---certainly not some newly invented idea!

Like most PPs, it isn't my thing, I wouldn't be happy with it for myself, but if everyone involved is aware and OK with it then why not? Healthy relationships are honest, consensual and don't hurt people in them--that's pretty much the only limits so far as I am concerned----how other people structure their love lives, not my bussiness and doesn't affects me in the slightest.

so some people use it as an excuse when cheating. Some people pretend to be single when they are not so as to be able to cheat--doesn't mean being single is an excuse to cheat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter