Open relationship...

• An excuse to cheat

Votes: 82 62.1%
  • Perfectly fine

Votes: 32 24.2%
  • Other: comment!

Votes: 18 13.6%

• Total voters
I do a lot of things in my private time that my kids have no clue about. I've been to swingers clubs but I've never swung. I'm sure my kids would have no clue even if I did. And if I ever chose to be in an open relationship (which I wouldn't, not my thing) I can guarantee you my kids would NEVER find out. I'm a very private person and can separate my private life from my home life. Two different worlds.

I have friends who swing. None of their kids know. Heck I didn't know until we had been friends for over 5 years. There certainly are ways to keep your private life away from your kids. You just don't bring it home.
I am a private person as well, but suppose I wouldn't want to conduct my personal life like it's a CIA op. ;) And I suspect some kids pick up a lot more than their parents would like to think they do.

But as I said -- I'm a "live and let live" kinda' person. :goodvibes

I understand why you and a previous poster would consider it "inaccurate". But as I mentioned before, it's simply my opinion. I think it's an excuse to cheat. Or more specifically, an excuse to sleep around with no repercussions. I suppose I should've worded it that way.
And this is why polls, depending on who crafts them, can be wildly inaccurate.

Anyone can craft a poll to make sure they get the answers they want to get. That is not an objective poll when questions are created to guide the poll taker towards the answer the pollster wants. While that may give the pollster some satisfaction that "they are right," it is not an accurate representation of what people really are thinking.

(married 35+ years, first marriage. Do know several couples very happily married for almost as long in an true "open" marriage. Whatever floats your boat. I promise I won't tell "you" how to conduct your life based upon my definitions as long as "you" don't tell me how to conduct my life.)

Last edited:
I am a private person as well, but suppose I wouldn't want to conduct my personal life like it's a CIA op. ;) And I suspect some kids pick up a lot more than their parents would like to think they do.

But as I said -- I'm a "live and let live" kinda' person. :goodvibes

LOL It's not a CIA op. I just don't discuss my personal life with my kids or around them. I'm 35 years old and I know NOTHING about my mother's sex life and she was single for many years when I was a teenager. I know and knew NOTHING. And I'd like to keep it that way. :scared:

Oh and I'm sure some kids pick up on things. My friend from HS thinks she's private but she talks a lot more within earshot of her DD. I'm sure her DD knows more about her life than I do.

I chose other. I don't necessarily see it as "an excuse to cheat" because if both parties agree to it, then there's no cheating going on. I do not understand it at all and I definitely would never ever want to do it, myself. To each her own, though. I would hope there would at least not be children in the family for this to occur, but I know that's not always true, too.

I have added an “other” option :)
Makes the poll even more inaccurate.

Now it makes it look like the "other" option was always available when it wasn't. There were plenty of people who voted who would have voted "other" if it was available. But now it makes it look like their votes are valid representations of their views because of the appearance that they "could" have voted other if they wanted to.

You would have to restart the entire poll and rewrite the questions so as not to be biased to get an accurate poll.

I have been in a closed relationship for 38 years. One person is enough work thank you.
I am close to that, but that what works for me. I do not pretend that my way is the only correct way. An open relationship may be what works for someone else. Who am I to impose my views on someone else. I know I would be really upset if the Open Relationship couple tried to force their views on me. I am a more of live and let live person, if it doesn't affect my life, then they can make their own choices. If they choose a relationship that has a high chance of failing, maybe that is what they want? They get to make that choice for themselves.

Every case I personally know, the open relationship was suggested/initiated by one partner and the other went along with it either because they wanted their partner to be happy or because they feared losing their partner if they did not agree. Yes, but it is often brought up in a relationship as an alternative by one partner who would otherwise be cheating so I think “an excuse to cheat” is an accurate description for many.

Exactly this.

Makes the poll even more inaccurate.

Now it makes it look like the "other" option was always available when it wasn't. There were plenty of people who voted who would have voted "other" if it was available. But now it makes it look like their votes are valid representations of their views because of the appearance that they "could" have voted other if they wanted to.

You would have to restart the entire poll and rewrite the questions so as not to be biased to get an accurate poll.
Lol. This is not a scientific experiment. It's really not that serious. If it's going to make certain people so bent out of shape, I'll just delete the whole post...

Why make a commitment to begin with if that's the way you want to live your life? :confused3

Because what one couple commits to may not be what another couple commits to.

This whole argument presumes a very modern Western concept of what marriage is truly about. In most parts of the world, and in the West up until about 150 years ago, marriage is primarily a business arrangement, designed for the begetting of children and the management of inherited property. It was firmly based on a quid pro quo arrangement between the parties, and it was not about love, but about security, in the preservation of one's person and the preservation of a family's net worth. The Romantic notion of marriage (with a capital R) is a fairly novel concept.

My grandparents had an arranged marriage. They didn't love one another, in fact, they barely tolerated one another, but they had 9 children together. That was the contract: he got sex when he wanted it and children to help work the farm and to inherit it from him, and she got a secure life with her own household to control, and children to take care of her in her old age. Divorce was not legal in their country at the time, and was also against their religion, but they didn't regret their marriage: they got out of it what they had expected to get when they entered into it. My grandfather was a shy man who was rather pious as well, so I doubt that he sought sex outside of marriage, but if he had, my grandmother would not have minded as long as he didn't a) spend too much money on that pursuit, b) catch any diseases from it, and c) embarrass her publicly. For women, infidelity carried a higher risk because a large part of the contract was that she was obliged to provide her husband with heirs of his body, not (as the old saying goes) cuckoos in the family nest.

Historically, the more wealth at stake, the more dominant the contractual nature of marriage was. Aristocrats commonly established separate households once they had sufficient male heirs to ibe reasonably sure that the family property would remain in the paternal line. However, poor people depended on the contract as well. Daughters were expensive to feed and house, but generally did not have much potential to generate actual money via their labor. Their best value was as a provider of children and in the potential to bring money into the family via marriage.

Last edited:
In response to the kids knowing aspect, I’ll give my limited personal experience.

I’ve only known one couple with an open relationship who had children. They were our neighbors and the parents of our DD’s best friend. (Mom was bisexual and had other partners/relationships, Dad did not participate)

I think they tried to hide it/lie, but as the kids got older you could tell that they knew and that it was uncomfortable/embarrassing for them. (Ex. Telling everyone that the new woman staying with them was their mom’s “cousin” but they were awkward and wouldn’t make eye contact). It was also a small town so even if the parents had tried harder to keep the kids shielded, they would have eventually heard other adults and kids talking about it. (DH had a discussion with the husband because talk about them was sweeping through their workplace and he wanted them to be aware.)

Eventually, this did major damage to their marriage and they sought divorce. Ultimately they reconciled, but felt monogamy was necessary for the marriage to last.

In response to the kids knowing aspect, I’ll give my limited personal experience.

I’ve only known one couple with an open relationship who had children. They were our neighbors and the parents of our DD’s best friend. (Mom was bisexual and had other partners/relationships, Dad did not participate)

I think they tried to hide it/lie, but as the kids got older you could tell that they knew and that it was uncomfortable/embarrassing for them. (Ex. Telling everyone that the new woman staying with them was their mom’s “cousin” but they were awkward and wouldn’t make eye contact). It was also a small town so even if the parents had tried harder to keep the kids shielded, they would have eventually heard other adults and kids talking about it. (DH had a discussion with the husband because talk about them was sweeping through their workplace and he wanted them to be aware.)

Eventually, this did major damage to their marriage and they sought divorce. Ultimately they reconciled, but felt monogamy was necessary for the marriage to last.

Yea, kids aren't as dumb as some people think. Unless you are raising an idiot, and from what I can tell in society there are plenty of idiots being raised, they will figure it out. You may not know they figured it out but they figured it out.

Why make a commitment to begin with if that's the way you want to live your life? :confused3
Because you can make a commitment to someone that is lasting and good without it also being monogamous.
As mentioned before, two of the longest, most secure marriages I know in my social group (granted, anecdotes are not data) are 20 and 30 years together. They are very stable and committed. It's just that the format of their relationship differs from mine and yours.

I don't care what other people do - open relationships, traditional relationships, FWB, etc. It wouldn't work in MY life, for me, but if it works in YOUR life for you...go for it.

Ugh not for us. It’s something I really don’t understand. If you need to be with someone else to make your marriage work...

It's a romantic, and relatively modern, notion that a person's various needs for companionship (inter alia, social, intellectual, and physical) can or should be met by a single person. I believe that for many they can. When they can, traditional thought tells us it is best to simply do without or throw away the relationship and start looking again.

Ideally, an open relationship allows a couple to preserve that which is good between them and still allow each of them to find what else they need where they can. In practice, I'm sure it's as messy and problematic as any other sort of relationship and then magnified by the scale of adding more people. I think it shows a trend towards not settling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter