Opening dates for WDW parks proposed 7/11 - 7/15

Lynne M

DIS Veteran
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/cor...0200527-m2wfkypbbbfzvmrykwlafu4voy-story.html
There’s nothing about resorts mentioned here, but since this is the first time we’ve seen actual proposed dates for parks, I thought it would be of interest.

Note that:

Details have not been publicly released yet. This is just an announcement that their proposed reopening plan has been submitted to Orange County. It must be approved by the county and then the state. So we don’t know exactly which attractions, shops, etc will be open and what conditions will be like in the parks.

Stay tuned. :)

From the Disney site, they mention resorts and DVC:

Walt Disney World Resort Temporary Closures and Important InformationWalt Disney World Resort Temporary Closures and Important Information
• Pending approval from government officials, the phased reopening plans we submitted calls for Walt Disney World theme parks and Disney Resort hotels to open beginning July 11 for Magic Kingdom Park and Disney’s Animal Kingdom followed by EPCOT and Disney’s Hollywood Studios on July 15.
• Additionally, Disney Vacation Club properties at Walt Disney World and Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground will begin to reopen to Members and Guests on June 22. Disney Vacation Club properties in Vero Beach, Florida, and Hilton Head, South Carolina, will open on June 15. Disney Springs has begun a phased reopening. Upon reopening, theme parks, Disney Resort Hotels, restaurants and other offerings may be modified, limited in capacity and subject to availability or closure. Learn more.
• We have taken enhanced health and safety measures. Follow all posted instructions while visiting Walt Disney World Resort. An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people are present. View important details.

Wow. July 11. Hard to feel like this is anything more than a failure on the part of Disney.
Not sure I understand why it's a failure. They didn't close on a whim. Sounds like an abundance of caution - WDW cannot be an easy place to restart with lower capacities and social distancing requirements at this time. I respect their decision to not be pressured by politicians pushing for their opening. They're more in line with the guidelines they've been following in Shanghai, which is great - seems to be working there. And it'll work here, too.

WDW has so much more to deal with than Universal. Way more hotels, a huge transportation system, 4 parks, 2 water parks, Disney Springs. Universal didn't make any announcements on how they will limit capacity. Disney announced a reservation system, which will take time to set up and get people signed up for it. Didn't make sense to rush into it. Plus waiting gives them insight into what is happening at Universal.

Sounds like they had no plan.
This is the plan. I can see it taking many weeks to work out the details and prepare for changed/cancelled reservations and fast passes and park tickets. WDW has so much more going on to reopen than a SeaWorld or even Universal.

I really thought they'd say end of June. A couple weeks past that isn't a huge surprise. But I'm very confident they've been working a plan since mid-March, when they announced they were closing.

This is the plan. I can see it taking many weeks to work out the details and prepare for changed/cancelled reservations and fast passes and park tickets. WDW has so much more going on to reopen than a SeaWorld or even Universal.

I really thought they'd say end of June. A couple weeks past that isn't a huge surprise. But I'm very confident they've been working a plan since mid-March, when they announced they were closing.

I think they wanted to avoid the July 4th crowds. Just like they didn't open the Disney owned stores at Disney Springs until today, after the Memorial Day weekend. From what I read, it's super crowded today.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/cor...0200527-m2wfkypbbbfzvmrykwlafu4voy-story.html
There’s nothing about resorts mentioned here, but since this is the first time we’ve seen actual proposed dates for parks, I thought it would be of interest.

Note that:

Details have not been publicly released yet. This is just an announcement that their proposed reopening plan has been submitted to Orange County. It must be approved by the county and then the state. So we don’t know exactly which attractions, shops, etc will be open and what conditions will be like in the parks.

Stay tuned. :)
Sounds like Orange County has officially approved already this afternoon - probably not a great surprise. So this plan is likely to be a reality soon.

Let's not pretend this is some heroic gesture on the part of Disney. That's ridiculous. They clearly weren't prepared to be able to open so soon. The state of Florida will be nearing phase 3 of reopening when Disney opens phase 1. That's a failure.

I'm in agreement here - Everyone had the same amount of time to pull together a plan. I think insinuating that Universal is lining up people to be killed is a huge leap. They found a way to open Disney Springs.

Maybe it has something to do with their size but being a month+ behind seems like a lot.

I'd imagine it will take some time to bring back cast members, specifically their international crew, back too ....

I'm in agreement here - Everyone had the same amount of time to pull together a plan. I think insinuating that Universal is lining up people to be killed is a huge leap. They found a way to open Disney Springs.

Maybe it has something to do with their size but being a month+ behind seems like a lot.

So just because they're being smart and taking the steps they need to take for it to re-open safely, that's a fail? Disney Springs has been barely open a day now (besides very few stores last week), it's smart to wait and see how things pan out before rushing back. They are doing what needs to be done so they hopefully won't have to close again instead of rushing into it out of greed like Universal.

I understand that people are frustrated and upset, but making comparisons to other theme parks is really unfair. Universal and SeaWorld don’t have nearly the same size or complexity to consider. Disney World is literally a small city, the size of San Francisco, with all that entails—a public transportation system alone that is larger and with higher daily ridership than some actual cities. If municipalities around the US are still trying to figure these things out, why is it a shock that Disney would need longer than the folks who only have 2-3 parks at best to worry about? Particularly given that all eyes will be on Disney in a way they wouldn’t for other parks.

Thank gods I don't have to be the one to make these decisions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!