Open's... Email... your order is...... On-line shopping - Vent...

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
Okay... I'm getting on the soap box here...

So we ordered several things for Christmas, From Amazon.... to the tune of well over 500.00 dollars, paid for guaranteed delivery by a certain date.... Then yesterday I get a email that say... Great your items will be restocked and delivered to you by January 18th... What... No I paid to get them yesterday... So I'm on the phone with Amazon for a eternity... final once on the phone with a real person... After discussing, the transaction... the lady was like... well that's the best we can do... then I said just cancel the order... Amazon Rep: WHAT... you want to cancel the order. Me: Yep, cancel the order, Amazon rep: Why... Me: Well, I ordered all this for Christmas and paid to have a guaranteed delivery date, and you failed to deliver the items on time as promised... It's just that simple... Amazon rep: I don't understand you don't want any of the items.. Me: NO... They are for Christmas... Christmas gifts...so January is not acceptable delivery when Christmas is in 12 days... Amazon Rep... OHHHH okay...Hold please then Amazon Rep 2: this supervisor get on the line... and I have to go over the whole issue with her...She was absolutely even astonished and amazed that I wanted to cancel the order... Finally after more discussion... she even asked if she could get the item to me would I want to pay for guaranteed delivery... Me: I was very blunt... I said I already paid for guaranteed delivery... and you can see that it doesn't work... Amazon Rep 2: Oh... okay... and finally refunded my money...

So I went out shopping yesterday, and picked up everything that I had ordered...Cheaper than the on-line price... once I added up what I saved, and the extra cost of shipping by the guaranteed date... I saved just under 100.00 bucks.... And guess what... They are going to here on time...

All on-line shopping is - really is old school catalog shopping... except now the catalog is on your screen... your still faced with out of stock, wrong size, wrong color, not shipping in time, it's really not anything new... It's suppose to be faster, better, cheaper... It's not... All it does aggravate you to the point of needing a glass of wine, instead of coffee at 6:30 am...

Deep Breath.... Breath in... Exhale.... Getting off soap box now...

I'm sorry your experience was so bad. I do pretty much ALL my shopping online, and it has generally worked out very well. When I am in a store and see something I like, I will always look online while I'm standing there, and 9 times out of 10 it is cheaper online.

ETA: I received a package yesterday. I wasn't sure if it was my order or one from a friend who said she sent me something and asked me NOT to open it. I went online to track my order to see if the one I had was it and was surprised that the tracking information included an actual photo of the package on my doorstep. I didn't know they did that.

Last edited:
I totally agree - I HATE on-line shopping and Amazon in particular. It is just so stressful hoping the delivery arrangements work out and my last experience wasn’t a pleasant one. I do love browsing a store’s own website to find what I want and then go get it locally so I guess you could consider me more of an on-line window shopper.

I'm not sure if you ordered multiple items, but there is an option to "Ship each item as quickly as possible". This allows you to ship all of the items as soon as they're picked, as opposed to them putting your items in a box and then keeping it in the corner until every item is put in the box.

That's crazy that your entire order was out of stock and delayed. I don't think I've ever had something show a guaranteed delivery date on Amazon and then later they tell me it is out of stock.

The only online cancelled order I had was from Cabelas. The item showed backordered when I bought it, but I was ordering so early I figured it would be in stock in plenty of time for Christmas. I called the other day and the rep said that it wasn't showing any anticipated re-stock date. He was super nice though and helped me find a similar item to exchange and got it shipped out to me ASAP.

I have had individual items be "out of stock" and missed delivery by Christmas, but I blame that on me by waiting so late to order. I know you said you saved some money by buying in stores, but take into account your gas, and TIME to go to multiple stores to get what you want. I'm guessing the savings isn't as good.

That being said, I think you were totally right to cancel your order.

My wife puts links in her Christmas list and usually ignores the note in her links that the item is out of stock until 6 months from now.

I did most of my Christmas shopping online, and the majority of it on Amazon. I have gotten each and every item,and everyone of them got here earlier than expected. And even something that I just ordered yesterday was shipped this morning by Fed Ex and will be here Monday. I have (knock on wood) always had good luck with them, and on the rare occasion that I have had to contact customer service, have never had any of them question me about why I was cancelling or returning something. Sometimes I wonder how they even stay in business, as the last 3 items I wanted to return, and had to contact them to get a USPS shipping label instead of UPS, then end up coming back and telling me to keep the item and that they just refunded my money, lol. Thank you Amazon Prime!!!
I hope all the DIS'ers who are still shopping get their orders before Christmas and that they are all in one piece!

I practically did all my Christmas shopping online, & my order total from Amazon was very well over $500. I think, over the course of the Christmas season, between my DH & myself, we ordered about 80 different items, & we've received everything.

After everything was in my cart for my large, main order & I had actually "ordered" it - but hadn't yet paid, I noticed that a video game for my son had an estimated delivery of after Christmas. So I went back to my cart & took the game out. I ended up finding it at our local Target.

For whatever reason, I also couldn't get the latest Avengers movie through Amazon & purchased it at our local Target as well.

This season, Target also had the "Downton Abbey" complete series on DVD for cheaper than Amazon, so I ordered that through Target.

W/ Amazon, you have to pay attention w/ the third party sellers, & even some things that are sold via Amazon Prime are coming from a 3rd party seller. I've also noticed, for whatever reason, t-shirts &, sometimes, socks take longer than the guaranteed 2 day delivery.

Most of the time, I will ask that my items are shipped when ready instead of all together.

Like I said, I've received all the items that I ordered through Amazon this season, though some things did take longer than 2 days. On a few items, I received emails w/ "updated shipping notifications" letting me know that an item was delayed. However, I received some items a lot sooner than I had anticipated as well.

Everything we received this season was correct, but I've always had good customer service w/ Amazon when I have received the wrong item or the shipping's been messed up.

This Christmas, I also ordered items from Thymes, Snorg Tees, Target, Kohl's, Macy's, Shutterfly/Tiny Prints, & Mermaid Pillow Company & Hunter Rain Boots (through Amazon, but from England). The ONLY company w/ which I had any issue was the Mermaid Pillow Company. I placed my order of 10 pillows on 10/18/2018 - I FINALLY received my last 2 pillows this past Tuesday evening - 12/11/2018!!!!! And this was after several communications w/ the company.

I did do some Christmas shopping at our local mall - mainly for clothes items, &, again, there were some items that I found at Target. But I just appreciate the ease & convenience of online shopping so much!!

And God bless the USPS & UPS & Fed Ex delivery drivers!

Last edited:
I have had individual items be "out of stock" and missed delivery by Christmas, but I blame that on me by waiting so late to order. I know you said you saved some money by buying in stores, but take into account your gas, and TIME to go to multiple stores to get what you want. I'm guessing the savings isn't as good.

That being said, I think you were totally right to cancel your order.

I had to finish up my shopping, so I did not go out of my way to go to any stores, I was in the same shopping center as the other destinations.. so just some extra time to run in and get them and go...

In all of the years that I have ordered from Amazon, I've only had a couple of things that didn't arrive in time. And I always knew before hand.

I've never had an entire shipment out of stock. May I ask how many items were included in that shipment?

But, yes, it is exactly like catalog shopping. Just on your screen. I used to catalog shop as well. It works well for me.

That's crazy that your entire order was out of stock and delayed. I don't think I've ever had something show a guaranteed delivery date on Amazon and then later they tell me it is out of stock.

The only online cancelled order I had was from Cabelas. The item showed backordered when I bought it, but I was ordering so early I figured it would be in stock in plenty of time for Christmas. I called the other day and the rep said that it wasn't showing any anticipated re-stock date. He was super nice though and helped me find a similar item to exchange and got it shipped out to me ASAP.

There were only 4 items... not once did she offer any other solutions... or even try to help me... basically Sorry ...not sorry.. When we ordered nothing was out of stock, or back ordered, everything went through okay... and they showed the delivery date, and agreed they did not fulfill the order... but could have cared less, about they issue, until I wanted to cancel the order... then they showed some concern.... maybe we could/should try again... if I wanted to pay for something I already paid for... Why would I repay for something I already paid for..

Good to know that Cabelas is still offering good customer service... !... I have ordered from them in the past, and had a great experience.

Last edited:
Im another who did all my shopping on Amazon and all my packages have arrived. The secret is being organised. My family usually finalise their wishlists by the middle of November and I try to order BEFORE Thanksgiving and Black Friday. Orders before Black Friday arrive promtly. I try to have everything ordered by the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. Anything ordered after Thanksgiving usually takes double the amount of time to be dispatched and shipped.

Its about managing expectations and realising that after Black Friday Amazon orders will take longer longer than usual and to allow for that.

Ironically the issues I’ve had with Amazon this year have been the orders pulled from stock from the warehouse HERE. If it’s being delivered by Amazon drivers locally it ain’t comin’ as scheduled. It will say “out for delivery” for days and not show. When called out on the “handed to resident” thing they have simply stopped knocking. Now they just dump and run. If not for my dog (and now the Ring) I’d have no idea they were sitting out there. Most other orders have been fine though.

The worst, hands down has been Target. Guaranteed two day delivery my patootie. For some unfathomable reason they are using Fed Ex who will deliver your package whenever they get around to it. Week plus minimum. I’ve had a steam mop roaming around Las Vegas for a week and a half now. Before the holiday season they were like clockwork.

Walmart dot com (and Walmart for that matter) wins the shopping season for price, availability and on time deliveries for me. Two days and sometimes the next day.

I made one order each on Best Buy and Bed Bath and Beyond. Both arrived the following day.

I was amazed how easy it was for me to login to the Canadian Amazon with my Prime and shop for my friends in Canada. Saved me a TON of money on shipping otherwise. I do a bunch of shopping with them and they always seem to perform quite well. My hat's off to them.

Last edited:
Online shopping sometimes saves money, but absolutely saves my sanity. OP, I’m sorry you had such a bad customer service experience. I’ve found amazon is usually great and they almost always throw a free month of prime at me for any little inconvenience.

I want to support brick and mortar stores, but it’s getting more and more difficult. Half the time I look something up at a store and it’s either an “online only” item or the three stores nearest me don’t have it. In order for me to have physically shopped for everything I bought online would have been hours of my time and several tanks of gas.

Sure, it doesn’t always work out. I had to buy a last minute funeral outfit and paid overnight shipping and nope wasn’t going to arrive for a week. Got my shipping refunded and just refused the box when it showed up. But, I also couldn’t find what I was looking for in-store so either way would have to make do with what I had. It’s not perfect but for me online is so much less stressful!

This is why I have a Prime membership. I never have to worry about things arriving on time and never have to pay the one day or same day shipping upcharge. I have purchased over $500 worth of gifts this season so far with no issues. I did buy a kitchen item for my personal use that ended up being backordered after the fact, but Amazon let me know, I opened the app, requested a refund with one click, and had the credit on my credit card the next day. I have had to cancel some orders and request refunds for items that didn't show up on occasion and always just do it online, without needing to talk to anyone.

You can always cancel an order before it has shipped with the click of a button online. You never have to call them.

This is why I have a Prime membership. I never have to worry about things arriving on time and never have to pay the one day or same day shipping upcharge. I have purchased over $500 worth of gifts this season so far with no issues. I did buy a kitchen item for my personal use that ended up being backordered after the fact, but Amazon let me know, I opened the app, requested a refund with one click, and had the credit on my credit card the next day. I have had to cancel some orders and request refunds for items that didn't show up on occasion and always just do it online, without needing to talk to anyone.

You can always cancel an order before it has shipped with the click of a button online. You never have to call them.
Prime won't make a difference if the item is out of stock. I've been a Prime member for years and have had gift items delivered after Christmas.

Prime won't make a difference if the item is out of stock. I've been a Prime member for years and have had gift items delivered after Christmas.

Yeah, that's true. You have to really pay attention to who the seller is and when the item's delivery date is on the confirmation page. Like I said, if you get an "out of stock/backordered" notice after the fact, Amazon sends you the option to get a refund or keep waiting, automatically via email.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter