Open's... Email... your order is...... On-line shopping - Vent...

I practically did all my Christmas shopping online, & my order total from Amazon was very well over $500. I think, over the course of the Christmas season, between my DH & myself, we ordered about 80 different items, & we've received everything.

After everything was in my cart for my large, main order & I had actually "ordered" it - but hadn't yet paid, I noticed that a video game for my son had an estimated delivery of after Christmas. So I went back to my cart & took the game out. I ended up finding it at our local Target.

For whatever reason, I also couldn't get the latest Avengers movie through Amazon & purchased it at our local Target as well.

This season, Target also had the "Downton Abbey" complete series on DVD for cheaper than Amazon, so I ordered that through Target.

W/ Amazon, you have to pay attention w/ the third party sellers, & even some things that are sold via Amazon Prime are coming from a 3rd party seller. I've also noticed, for whatever reason, t-shirts &, sometimes, socks take longer than the guaranteed 2 day delivery.

Most of the time, I will ask that my items are shipped when ready instead of all together.

Like I said, I've received all the items that I ordered through Amazon this season, though some things did take longer than 2 days. On a few items, I received emails w/ "updated shipping notifications" letting me know that an item was delayed. However, I received some items a lot sooner than I had anticipated as well.

Everything we received this season was correct, but I've always had good customer service w/ Amazon when I have received the wrong item or the shipping's been messed up.

This Christmas, I also ordered items from Thymes, Snorg Tees, Target, Kohl's, Macy's, Shutterfly/Tiny Prints, & Mermaid Pillow Company & Hunter Rain Boots (through Amazon, but from England). The ONLY company w/ which I had any issue was the Mermaid Pillow Company. I placed my order of 10 pillows on 10/18/2018 - I FINALLY received my last 2 pillows this past Tuesday evening - 12/11/2018!!!!! And this was after several communications w/ the company.

I did do some Christmas shopping at our local mall - mainly for clothes items, &, again, there were some items that I found at Target. But I just appreciate the ease & convenience of online shopping so much!!

And God bless the USPS & UPS & Fed Ex delivery drivers!
Amazon and Disney have had some weird dispute over Blu Rays/DVDs going on for years.

There were only 4 items... not once did she offer any other solutions... or even try to help me... basically Sorry ...not sorry.. When we ordered nothing was out of stock, or back ordered, everything went through okay... and they showed the delivery date, and agreed they did not fulfill the order... but could have cared less, about they issue, until I wanted to cancel the order... then they showed some concern.... maybe we could/should try again... if I wanted to pay for something I already paid for... Why would I repay for something I already paid for..

Good to know that Cabelas is still offering good customer service... !... I have ordered from them in the past, and had a great experience.
Were they all the same thing? Sold and shipped by Amazon?

I've had similar frustrations in the past when "THE" Christmas gift was not going to ship until January (of course it didn't say that when it was initially ordered).

After years of doing my Christmas shopping entirely online, this year I told my kids "It's a good old fashioned shopping mall Christmas. Don't forward me an Amazon wish list. I want a handwritten list of your most wanted items and if they don't carry it locally you're not getting it." It's worked out great! No fuss, no muss and I found everything on their list...free shipping and it arrives instantly LOL.

I can’t stand the mall anytime after thanksgiving so online shopping is the only way I go, even if it does cost me more. I have never run into any issue with things being in stock when I order and then switching to not in stock except with Staples. I ordered Beats on their $79 sale and they kept canceling the order, refunding my money and then reinstating the order and taking my money out again (about 4-5 times). The first time they did it I almost ended up with an overdraft on my account because I wasn’t expecting them to take the money out again.

This year we ordered everything on amazon early enough we were able to click “no rush shipping” and still get everything last week. Ended up with about $5 in digital content credits and used them to buy the kindle book I wanted.

There were only 4 items... not once did she offer any other solutions... or even try to help me... basically Sorry ...not sorry.. When we ordered nothing was out of stock, or back ordered, everything went through okay... and they showed the delivery date, and agreed they did not fulfill the order... but could have cared less, about they issue, until I wanted to cancel the order... then they showed some concern.... maybe we could/should try again... if I wanted to pay for something I already paid for... Why would I repay for something I already paid for..

Good to know that Cabelas is still offering good customer service... !... I have ordered from them in the past, and had a great experience.
Were you buying from 3rd party sellers, etc?

I’m sorry that happened to you. I would be frustrated too.

I’m another one who has done 99% of Christmas shopping online. I haven’t had any issues, and all of my orders are here and wrapped. I’ve used Amazon, Target and Kohl’s and I’ve had great luck. My garage is an explosion of cardboard.

I’ve gotten so used to the convenience and luxury of online shopping, it has made me even more intolerant of going to a store. I had to grab a few things at CVS, and the line was only a few people long but that wait was annoying. If I could buy absolutely everything online, I would.

I’m another one who has done 99% of Christmas shopping online. I haven’t had any issues, and all of my orders are here and wrapped. I’ve used Amazon, Target and Kohl’s and I’ve had great luck. My garage is an explosion of cardboard.

I’ve gotten so used to the convenience and luxury of online shopping, it has made me even more intolerant of going to a store. I had to grab a few things at CVS, and the line was only a few people long but that wait was annoying. If I could buy absolutely everything online, I would.
Same. I had my heart set on an item from Pottery Barn. I finally went online to buy it and when I added it to my cart a note popped up saying it was only sold in stores. I was like, “Well, looks like Pottery Barn doesn’t want my business” and closed the tab. Like I’m going to drive to a mall... pssh! If they can ship that item to the store then they should be able to ship it to me.

A thousand times, YES!!

And the selection at our local mall & other local stores just isn't all that great. And going from store to store to store for one thing seems crazy when I could just click "buy" while sitting in my PJs.

One of my favorite online boutique clothing stores just updated their system to accept payments through Amazon, so, now, when buying clothes from there, I don't even have to find my credit card.

I ordered a few thing from Amazon.ca back in November. I qualified for free shipping. All of my items shipped the next day. It took 2 weeks to get here but that wasn't Amazon's fault, it was Canada Post, and the rotating strike action. I ordered stuff in plenty of time and took a possible strike delay into account when placing my order. I figured a month should be plenty of time and it was. I also love online shopping with the "find in store option. I can find and reserve an item, see if it's in stock at my local store and just pick it up. No searching the shelves, hunting for sizes. May stores have a special line for those picking up online orders.

Last edited:
I am sorry you had issues but I love online shopping.

I buy a lot from Amazon through the year, and of course at Christmas time, I have had no issues with any of my Christmas stuff and only a couple issues throughout the year.

I don't look at it as a money saver, it really isn't a lot of the time, but it saves my sanity and usually allows me to browse more options at once than I could do at a physical store.

I have never spoken to Amazon CS, I always use the online chat and it has always been great. I wouldn't have gone to all that nonsense on the phone to cancel, you can cancel orders right online via your account, or at least I have always been able to.

I'm surprised you had so many issues with one order, Amazon's customer service has never given me problems, and I've used it quite a bit as I do a ton of shopping with them. I've always done chat, I've never spoken to anyone, not sure if that makes a difference.
I've always gotten an email letting me know something was out of stock, or a delivery date was changed. I have Prime so I rarely pay for expedited shipping but there was one time I did, they refunded me for my entire order and "re-sent" the item that hadn't shipped in time. It was nowhere near $500, so they probably wouldn't offer to do that with such a large amount.
Luckily you were able to find what you ordered and saved money too!

Amazon is suppose to be starting their own delivery service, but they still use the good old U.S. Postal Service.

Last week, when there was a Federal Holiday, the post office workers were still able to work, they didn't deliver mail, but they were out delivering packages from Amazon.
My postman, told me he started at 6:00 a.m. and was out till 9:00 p.m. He was only paid for 8 hours, they have no more over time. He just said it was his 2nd go around-his van can only hold so much.
We also received some notices in our mail box, that we had to go to the post office and pick up our packages. We did not mind doing this, but our post office is a rural post office and only open a few hours each day.
I can imagine what it is going to be like the next few days, with people expecting their orders to be delivered in 2 days.

Amazon is suppose to be starting their own delivery service, but they still use the good old U.S. Postal Service.

Last week, when there was a Federal Holiday, the post office workers were still able to work, they didn't deliver mail, but they were out delivering packages from Amazon.
My postman, told me he started at 6:00 a.m. and was out till 9:00 p.m. He was only paid for 8 hours, they have no more over time. He just said it was his 2nd go around-his van can only hold so much.
We also received some notices in our mail box, that we had to go to the post office and pick up our packages. We did not mind doing this, but our post office is a rural post office and only open a few hours each day.
I can imagine what it is going to be like the next few days, with people expecting their orders to be delivered in 2 days.

I'd say about 50% of my Amazon deliveries are delivered by Amazon drivers.

I think this is based on what you order and where you live. We have had Amazon drivers delivering our stuff for at least a year, but likely much longer, most of my Amazon stuff comes UPS, some USPS, none FedEx.

Amazon has a deal with USPS. It's why your packages can arrive on a Sunday when regular mail doesn't get delivered. Frankly the USPS still needs people to use them.

You can't really control who Amazon chooses to use (unless you live in places where you have the Amazon Lockers so you pick up the item yourself) and I'm sure it sucks having to go to the post office to pick up the package but I would assume at that point that's on the post office not on Amazon.

In my area it's become more common for Amazon Logistics to deliver the items though the USPS does also do deliveries as well as UPS.

I'm going more and more back to brick and mortar, even if I pay a bit more. One, there will be no "local stores" to shop in if we don't....so much for the idea that you can browse locally, see and touch the item and then find it cheaper on line. Two, my money spent locally helps my LOCAL economy, and the local guy trying to make a buck. Three, if I have a question about the item, I can find someone who can ACTUALLY help me, instead of waiting in phone tree hell to find someone who doesn't have a clue.

Brick and mortar people. Brick and mortar. You are going to miss it when it's gone.

something is going on with amazon. deliveries have been off lately for allot of people (even before the christmas rush). somethings also off with the ratings/amazon's customer service. don't just look at the rating/stars a vendor has b/c amazon is going on and lining out negative reviews (as well as deleting some entirely) which changes the rating. i've been following an order from a couple of months ago only to find that dozens and dozens of complaints have been lodged with amazon over the seller yet amazon keeps lining out the negative reviews and claiming 'the issue with delivery is not the fault of the seller'. um-it's not prime delivery, the seller is charging credit cards months before shipping and amazon won't deal with the bad charges/non delivery b/c they didn't fulfill yet they let the company continue to 'sell', line out negative REAL customer reviews and then allow the company to obviously post bogus positive reviews (top stars for delivery of the same item dozens have posted they never received, all variations of the same user name, all w/similar typos and grammar errors).

i'm getting to the point i may just drop prime.

something is going on with amazon. deliveries have been off lately for allot of people (even before the christmas rush). somethings also off with the ratings/amazon's customer service. don't just look at the rating/stars a vendor has b/c amazon is going on and lining out negative reviews (as well as deleting some entirely) which changes the rating. i've been following an order from a couple of months ago only to find that dozens and dozens of complaints have been lodged with amazon over the seller yet amazon keeps lining out the negative reviews and claiming 'the issue with delivery is not the fault of the seller'. um-it's not prime delivery, the seller is charging credit cards months before shipping and amazon won't deal with the bad charges/non delivery b/c they didn't fulfill yet they let the company continue to 'sell', line out negative REAL customer reviews and then allow the company to obviously post bogus positive reviews (top stars for delivery of the same item dozens have posted they never received, all variations of the same user name, all w/similar typos and grammar errors).

i'm getting to the point i may just drop prime.
I ran across that with an item I was trying to get for my son’s birthday. It was infuriating!

I'm sorry. So far no issues with Amazon over here. I did most of my shopping at Target, got some stuff at Kmart and spent a TON of money at Gamestop. Kmart is the winner for me. They had a discontinued toy that I KNOW my youngest wants. I can't WAIT for Christmas morning!!!

I'm going more and more back to brick and mortar, even if I pay a bit more. One, there will be no "local stores" to shop in if we don't....so much for the idea that you can browse locally, see and touch the item and then find it cheaper on line. Two, my money spent locally helps my LOCAL economy, and the local guy trying to make a buck. Three, if I have a question about the item, I can find someone who can ACTUALLY help me, instead of waiting in phone tree hell to find someone who doesn't have a clue.

Brick and mortar people. Brick and mortar. You are going to miss it when it's gone.
What's the local stores you've been shopping at and for what items?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!