Opinions On A Potential Job Change

Yeah I'm with the others--do what you can on your own with your options in terms of retirement plans but switching to this new job where there's bound to be burnout and a hard shift from 40 hours to a much more time-demandant job and just for something that you can at least do some on your own (retirement plans) seems like a bad plan.

would also spend time looking at the 2 companies as a whole. Not just the retirement benefits and work hours. I work for a very large company, and my benefits outweigh a lot of things. There is a lot of opportunity for growth. I took a position when I started at lower salary and definitely below my level to shove my foot in the door, and have since moved up a couple of times (first time was in under 3 months when someone left and they saw how great a worker I was). One of my earlier positions here did cause stress and more hours, but right now, I am on a fabulous team and work very little OT.

I agree with others that I would be seriously turned off by the long hours and a lot of OT, but if I knew that I had a chance to get into a better fit within the company within 6 months to a year with great benefits, I would take it.

Lots of companies will say all sorts of wonderful things about their career/promotional "opportunities" as part of their sales pitch during interviews. Once hired, there are no guarantees you will ever get promoted. Just because you think you are a great worker doesn't mean your boss sees it the same way. Evaluations are arbitrary and based on how the boss happens to view the people who work for him/her. Choosing a place to work since you think you will like the boss can also be risky since that person might get reassigned or move to a different company. In a very large company, lots of things can impact the workforce. Divisions might get bought/sold or cut back in various ways to improve profits. While it is good to consider the benefit package offered by a company, you should still focus on the job you are being hired to do. No amount of benefits will make up for doing a job each day you don't enjoy.

Well, I felt a follow up was in order. I have yet to recieve an official offer from the other company, so no one at my current company knows anything about me looking at other opportunities. Here is a little backstory, I am a department of one and as I said I can handle the workload perfectly fine but the company had played around with hiring another analyst to help me out and give me more time to do even more in depth analysis and help out other departments. That was six months ago and as far as I was aware nothing had ever been done. So my boss just told me one person in our company was not happy in his current role and since we dont like to lose good people he will be transitioning to become our second analyst. Since the new person doesnt have a financial background but knows the industry he will be at a lower level than me. In short, I was given a bump to be his supervisor which comes with a 15% raise.

I had been telling myself, maybe I wont get offered a position at the new company so I wouldnt have to make a decision. Well now, the decision has been easily made to stay put. Call it what you will based on whatever you believe, but at the end of the day things tend to work out the way they are supposed to. Thanks everyone for your opinions and input.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter