Opinions on best Italian restaurant

katmittens

OKW Owner
I have a reservation for Via Napoli but I have to cancel due to fast passes I just made. I had via Napoli for lunch and cape may for dinner and this is for the day after thanksgiving so it also may be too much food. The next nite we are looking for Italian and via Napoli is not available. Can anyone tell me what they like? Looking at Il Mulino at swan or Maria and Enzo's or Trattoria on Boardwalk or mama melrose or the one at DS I think Tratolina. Any help would be appreciated.

OK - I will get hate mail. But PLEASE? If you want REAL, TRUE ITALIAN FOOD? Book Il Mulinno.
Everything else is fast food.

Reference - 2nd Generation Sicilian. Il Mulinno cooks like my aunt Rose :).

TIW accepted - no DDP.

I've also enjoyed Il Mulino but for the trip in Nov, I've booked Maria & Enzo's. After so many years of going to the same places, it was time to try new ones, and we really like Wine Bar George and Frontera Cucina, so we're going to try a new Italian one.

Il Mulino. If you have a car or don't mind using Uber, Lyft, or a taxi, I'd recommend BiCE at the Portofino Hotel over even Il Mulino. Il Mulino is good; BiCE is better.

Il Mulino, the others are not close. If you want to stay in the park, Tutto Italia in EPCOT has a nice mix of Italian. Nice atmosphere.
Via Napoli is good for pizza
Mama Melrose is a fun place. We have had good food there, some other reports have not been as favorable.
Have not tried Trattoria, so can't compare.
Agree with sleepydog25, none compare to BICE, but its a fair distance away.

I thought Il Mulino has good food. However, when our party of 9 went there, dinner took over 3 hours! Service was very slow!

Wow! We must have to hit Il Mulino on a very bad night.
Our meatballs in the appetizers were cold. Not lukewarm, but cold.
Our pasta was over cooked. The sauce was bland and my husband’s dish was under seasoned. All four of us said never again. It is probably the worst meal we have had in Disney and we have been going to Disney 2-3 weeks a year for the past 18 years.

We enjoy Tutto Gusto. Enzo’s Hideaway was good but not stellar. Via Napoli is usually good.

Our pasta was over cooked. The sauce was bland and my husband’s dish was under seasoned. All four of us said never again. It is probably the worst meal we have had in Disney and we have been going to Disney 2-3 weeks a year for the past 18 years.

We enjoy Tutto Gusto. Enzo’s Hideaway was good but not stellar. Via Napoli is usually good.
Sometimes, bad nights do happen, and such events make you not want to ever go back. Very understandable. There are a couple of places at Disney (and beyond) about which I feel the same. Monsieur Paul is the main one for us--we went expecting a Signature meal and instead got cold food, cold-shoulder service, poorly cooked dishes (duck was overdone and rubbery), and the ambiance was that of a diner that night. In DL, most people rave about Blue Bayou, but our experience there was underwhelming: muddled flavors, spotty service, and the lovely ambiance of being seated near a server station and kitchen door. All that to say, one experience can ruin a spot for a patron that others adore.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies I had a reservation for Mama Melrose but I am changing to Il Mulino. We do have a car since we drive to Disney. We will either drive there or park at HS and take boat since we plan on going to HS after dinner.

Thanks for all the replies I had a reservation for Mama Melrose but I am changing to Il Mulino. We do have a car since we drive to Disney. We will either drive there or park at HS and take boat since we plan on going to HS after dinner.
Worth noting: If dining at Swan, or Dolphin....

Il Mulino and Shula's will VALIDATE any parking fee. Just make sure the Restaurant Checkin persons asks if you have a car :).

Was this in the past year or so by any chance? We have been going to Il Mulino at least once a year, often twice, for about 10 years, and up until January 2017 have always had incredible food. In January 2017 we had our first mediocre meal, but it was very busy and we figured it was just an off night as all restaurants have. We went back again in January 2018 and we had a similar mediocre experience. For 2019 we already have something else booked as we are done with Il Mulino for a bit, time to branch out. We enjoyed our apps and bread at Enzos Hideaway, but haven't had food there yet, we really enjoy Tutto Gusto, and have had two horrible meals at Via Napoli (so sad because Naples in DL is always fantastic). I personally don't even like Italian food all that much so I am certainly not excited about mediocre Italian food, we will see how branching out goes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter