Opinions please on Waikiki resort choice

kickash

Mouseketeer
We are staying 9 nights at Aulani then 3 nights on Waikiki. Currently I have a partial ocean view room booked at the Hilton Hawaiian Village for our family of 4. After reading many, many reviews on here and other travel sites, I am seriously considering cancelling that reservation. I am worried about the size of the resort, the fact that we would only have access to 3 pools (not 5 if you read the fine print-1 is 18 and over so my family is out and 1 is for a certain tower only), and the current state of the rooms (a little dated, dingy, etc). I do like the beach location there but I don't want to deal with crazy crowds at the pool and such a big resort. Plus we will have gotten our fill of pools/slides/water slides/lazy river at Aulani.

After spending countless hours on different websites and Google maps, I am thinking of either the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort (not the Reef) or Ilikai. We like the look of the rooms at Ilikai but I am not wild about the walk to the beach (yes I know it is short). I got a really good deal at the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort with their new V 47 club so I am leaning towards that one.

Does anyone have any recent experience with either of these resorts? I haven't been to Oahu in 25 years so my memory is a bit fuzzy. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I would stick with the Hilton, its a nice resort. Most hotels in Waikiki are just Hotels with not much else. They have a wide open beach at the Hilton that does not get crowded. For families in that category I would also consider the Sheraton, not the Illikai. Not sure what hotel is the Waikiki Beach Resort

I would stick with the Hilton, its a nice resort. Most hotels in Waikiki are just Hotels with not much else. They have a wide open beach at the Hilton that does not get crowded. For families in that category I would also consider the Sheraton, not the Illikai. Not sure what hotel is the Waikiki Beach Resort
I forgot to put Outrigger in front of Waikiki! Fixed now.
Have you stayed at the Hilton recently?

Outrigger Beach Resort is good. Plus you have Duke’s and Hula Grill on site for food. Pool is nothing special at all, but is on a nice stretch of Waikiki beach, though it can be crowded. Catamaran and outrigger canoe rides are right out front as well.

Outrigger Beach Resort is good. Plus you have Duke’s and Hula Grill on site for food. Pool is nothing special at all, but is on a nice stretch of Waikiki beach, though it can be crowded. Catamaran and outrigger canoe rides are right out front as well.
I noticed the catamarans right out front... not sure yet if it matters to me or not lol. Rooms seem a bit nicer at Outrigger vs what I’ve read for HHV. I want the Waikiki experience for my family, but we want a nice room and location for the money. Love the beach out front of the HHV so I’m really torn.

A lot of regulars like the Outrigger because it is very central and hopping with action, but it does not have much of a pool and it is very busy. Not sure if it is the best for families.

A lot of regulars like the Outrigger because it is very central and hopping with action, but it does not have much of a pool and it is very busy. Not sure if it is the best for families.
Busier than HHV? We don’t mind busy and my kids are both in double digits for age, so not babies or toddlers.

It would have to be a stellar deal for me to stay at HHV. It is a pretty resort and lots to do with a decent location but it is huge and an absolute madhouse ALL THE TIME. We prefer to walk over to visit the shops rather than stay there. I like the Outrigger WB - the elevators seem to take forever but they have the best little sandwich and smoothie shop at beach level and a great location. Haven't stayed at the Ilikai but have stayed at 2 resorts Ala Moana/Ala Wai Marina side. They are quieter but a little bit of a hike to Waikiki.

It would have to be a stellar deal for me to stay at HHV. It is a pretty resort and lots to do with a decent location but it is huge and an absolute madhouse ALL THE TIME. We prefer to walk over to visit the shops rather than stay there. I like the Outrigger WB - the elevators seem to take forever but they have the best little sandwich and smoothie shop at beach level and a great location. Haven't stayed at the Ilikai but have stayed at 2 resorts Ala Moana/Ala Wai Marina side. They are quieter but a little bit of a hike to Waikiki.
I am worried about the size of HHV. Outrigger WB seems much more manageable? But one of the PP posters has me worried about the age of my kids and it not being for families. Is it like a drunken debacle at night at the resort? I honestly do not know! We have an early dinner reservation at Duke’s on a Friday then we were going to walk down to see the fireworks. Saturday is Diamond Head early and then beach and Sunday is our last day so we plan for beach all day. Thinking Outrigger should be ok for all of that??

I am worried about the size of HHV. Outrigger WB seems much more manageable? But one of the PP posters has me worried about the age of my kids and it not being for families. Is it like a drunken debacle at night at the resort? I honestly do not know! We have an early dinner reservation at Duke’s on a Friday then we were going to walk down to see the fireworks. Saturday is Diamond Head early and then beach and Sunday is our last day so we plan for beach all day. Thinking Outrigger should be ok for all of that??
Outrigger is fine for families....it’s just busy on the beach and on the street in front. Great location to get to Diamond Head. You might want to reserve an umbrella and chairs for the beach ahead of time. About $40-$50 for all day, but worth it if you want shade. That’s for 2 chaise lounges/1 umbrella. Pool is free.

Hi
We have stayed at outrigger wakiki beach twice
We love the hotel.
The inside is more casual feel than modern
For us the hotel downstairs never seemed busy
Right on the beach
Small pool but as I say right on beach
Dukes restaurant
On a Sunday around 5 ? Live music around “concrete” area by pool
Hula ? Restaurant very nice
Downstairs small coffee/food basic takeaway we used
Cheesecake Factory close by lol
I just loved the feel of the hotel 💗
Oh and they do various “activities” inside the hotel daily. Cannot remember what exactly sorry.

Just looked on trip advisor as not been since 2016 and the reviews look brilliant still. Also good photos on there.

I got a really good deal at the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort with their new V 47 club so I am leaning towards that one.
We were recently at this resort for brunch. Took a look around and was very impressed with the resort and the location. Food was also excellent!

Anyone stay at the Embassy Suites Waikiki Beachwalk?
We are planning on staying there when we go in October. It seems like a good deal especially with the free breakfast. We plan on hitting Waikiki for a few days before we check into Aulani.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter