Opinions please on Waikiki resort choice

Dukes has three areas, the bar, the patio and the main dining. The bar and patio are no reservations. For the main dining you can make reservations. The best tables are the rail tables on the outside. If you make a reservation you will get the best tables. I would not consider them inside at all they are open to the water. If you do not have a reservation you will be further back in the restaurant. You need to make the reservations at least 2-3 weeks in advance for the best tables. When you check in tell them you want a table by the rail. They have reservations on open table, but it seems to get earlier times you need to call direct. At night they have a small musical group that goes table to table so be ready with a song choice. White Sandy Beach is a good choice

As far as Waikiki beach we will rent an umbrella a couple days, love Waikiki Beach, you can watch the surfers, outrigger canoe rides, surf lessons, and the weather is almost always perfect

Dukes has three areas, the bar, the patio and the main dining. The bar and patio are no reservations. For the main dining you can make reservations. The best tables are the rail tables on the outside. If you make a reservation you will get the best tables. I would not consider them inside at all they are open to the water. If you do not have a reservation you will be further back in the restaurant. You need to make the reservations at least 2-3 weeks in advance for the best tables. When you check in tell them you want a table by the rail. They have reservations on open table, but it seems to get earlier times you need to call direct. At night they have a small musical group that goes table to table so be ready with a song choice. White Sandy Beach is a good choice

Just wanted to add about Duke's that we found the main dining room was a touch nicer than beach casual dress, and the menu was a little more substantial. The patio (called the Barefoot Bar) was very casual with burgers and other bar & grill type food on the menu. After a day at the beach and walking around Waikiki, we wanted something casual so the Barefoot Bar fit the bill. For a nicer dinner experience, the main dining room with a reservation is the better option.

As far as Waikiki beach we will rent an umbrella a couple days, love Waikiki Beach, you can watch the surfers, outrigger canoe rides, surf lessons, and the weather is almost always perfect
Thank you! I have a reservation for the restaurant but I would much rather sit fully outside with the less casual atmosphere. We will be in shorts, t-shirts, and sandals...better suited for outside? Also I think the menu for outside is more our speed.

Just wanted to add about Duke's that we found the main dining room was a touch nicer than beach casual dress, and the menu was a little more substantial. The patio (called the Barefoot Bar) was very casual with burgers and other bar & grill type food on the menu. After a day at the beach and walking around Waikiki, we wanted something casual so the Barefoot Bar fit the bill. For a nicer dinner experience, the main dining room with a reservation is the better option.
This is exactly what I needed to know. I have a reservation for inside but I think outside is going to be more our speed, dress-wise and food-wise. We do not want anything dressy or fancy in terms of food.

Dukes is far from formal, not even close. I would keep any reservation and decide when you get there, Getting a patio table can be quite a wait

Dukes is far from formal, not even close. I would keep any reservation and decide when you get there, Getting a patio table can be quite a wait
Is that appropriate to do, keep the reservation but let them know when we get there that we would prefer to sit outside? Good to hear about the atmosphere.

This is exactly what I needed to know. I have a reservation for inside but I think outside is going to be more our speed, dress-wise and food-wise. We do not want anything dressy or fancy in terms of food.

I agree that the dining room at Duke's is not formal, I don't want to overstate it. But we did not see people in beach cover ups or t-shirts really. It was somewhere between full casual and business casual, if that makes sense. While I don't think those people would have been turned away at all, we would have felt funny in something other than a polo or Hawaiian shirt (for DH) and capris/blouse/dress for me.

We opted to go eat at the Barefoot Bar because the menu appealed more to us and we wanted to dine closer to the beach. We did have about a 45 minute wait arriving around 6pm as I recall. I remember distinctly because it was our arrival night and we were on east coast time, so we were quite hungry!

I agree that the dining room at Duke's is not formal, I don't want to overstate it. But we did not see people in beach cover ups or t-shirts really. It was somewhere between full casual and business casual, if that makes sense. While I don't think those people would have been turned away at all, we would have felt funny in something other than a polo or Hawaiian shirt (for DH) and capris/blouse/dress for me.

We opted to go eat at the Barefoot Bar because the menu appealed more to us and we wanted to dine closer to the beach. We did have about a 45 minute wait arriving around 6pm as I recall. I remember distinctly because it was our arrival night and we were on east coast time, so we were quite hungry!
Oh we would never show up in beach cover ups! Most likely shorts, t-shirts, and sandals, but showered and dressed with hair and make up lol...but that sounds too casual for inside? I think outside appeals to my family more mainly because of the menu but I will keep the reservation and see what is available when we go.

Most likely shorts, t-shirts, and sandals, but showered and dressed with hair and make up lol...but that sounds too casual for inside?

I don't think there's a dress code for inside, but we wouldn't have felt comfortable in shorts and t-shirts. I'm sure there were people wearing that, so everyone has a different comfort level - its like the dining room on a cruise ship! lol! We also liked the menu better outside, and every table has a good view outside. With the inside, like PP mentions, you could get stuck with an interior table.

We stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort exactly 2 years ago and loved it! Right on the beach, decent pool (that was normally empty), close to shops and food, close to the zoo/aquarium, close to car rental shop, and you can rent chairs at the beach as well. We never felt like the beach was overcrowded, we enjoyed watching the surfers (and I even did surf lessons myself), and Duke’s is a good place to eat. When we go back it’s where we will be staying again. We were originally going to stay at the Hilton but then decided not to as it seemed to crowded and like it would take away from being there.

I am worried about the size of HHV. Outrigger WB seems much more manageable? But one of the PP posters has me worried about the age of my kids and it not being for families. Is it like a drunken debacle at night at the resort? I honestly do not know! We have an early dinner reservation at Duke’s on a Friday then we were going to walk down to see the fireworks. Saturday is Diamond Head early and then beach and Sunday is our last day so we plan for beach all day. Thinking Outrigger should be ok for all of that??

We did notice at night that there was more drinking (our kids were 14 and 12 when we went). But truthfully nothing out of the norm for a restaurant or public area with drinking. As long as your not on the street after 10 it’s just normal people drinking. Now after 10 I went outside to wait for food one night and the city street was full of drunks

Yes agree with him Dukes is not formal at all. I’m sure some people dress up more to eat there but our family never dresses up and we did not feel out of place at all. I can guarantee you my husband was in a gaming/comedy T-shirt and either jeans or Jean shorts. My son was also in a T-shirt and either swim trunks or jeans. (They always wear this and my son only uses a polo for special occasions and that’s not dinner in his mind). Me and my daughter may have worn a sundress and flip flops over swimsuits. Wear anything and you’ll be fine either inside or outside.

The Beach, Pool area and the grounds at the Hilton Village are absolutely gorgeous. It’s further from Diamond head but less crowded on the beach

The Beach, Pool area and the grounds at the Hilton Village are absolutely gorgeous. It’s further from Diamond head but less crowded on the beach
I agree that is beautiful. I visited there when we were on the island, but it was 25 years ago. I ended up booking the Outrigger Waikiki. Trying something new!

Last edited:
Anyone stay at the Embassy Suites Waikiki Beachwalk?

My husband stayed at the Embassy Suites for work in November. He said it was a decent room and good for breakfast. However, they weren't there for a beach vacation.

He had to make a second trip last week and I tagged along and we stayed at the HHV (Just came home Monday night). Since I was alone for a couple of days while he was working, I would not have been happy having to walk to the beach from the Embassy Suites. He upgraded the HHV room to the A'lli tower, with the private pool/fintess/bar area. That was SOOOO worth it! Look for a corporate rate code for Hilton. We weren't Oceanview, but were right off the elevator and down to hall to the pool. From there, a quick flight of stairs down to the beach. The rooms aren't overly fancy, but spacious, clean and the toiletries smell AMAZING!

I loved the shopping area around the HHV. We also enjoyed the Luau and watching the fireworks from the private pool area on Friday night. Even though it's a huge resort, it never felt overly crowded except for right after the fireworks on Friday night. There must have been a ton of other folks from neighboring hotels that decided to stay for dinner. We ended up having to kill time shopping (oh darn), while we waited for crowds to die down and grab something to eat at the Tropics bar/restaurant.
There is also a Starbucks onsite.

We walked down to the Sheraton and Outrigger for Duke's. The Sheraton has a cool infinity pool that overlooks the beach. Outrigger has a great beach area and well, Duke's (on Sunday) is a huge draw. Best Mai-Tais, hands down.

I would definitely stay at the HHV again, no question!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter