Right on the beach
Small pool but as I say right on beach
Dukes restaurant
On a Sunday around 5 ? Live music around “concrete” area by pool
Hula ? Restaurant very nice
Downstairs small coffee/food basic takeaway we used
Cheesecake Factory close by lol
I just loved the feel of the hotel 💗
Oh and they do various “activities” inside the hotel daily. Cannot remember what exactly sorry.
Thank you so much for the info! I appreciate real world information. I’m going to switch resorts today. Hopefully the deal I found yesterday is still there! It includes a light breakfast and evening appetizers and drinks in their new lounge. Plus I really like the location.

We are planning on staying there when we go in October. It seems like a good deal especially with the free breakfast. We plan on hitting Waikiki for a few days before we check into Aulani.
I thought about it but the price difference for us to be right on the beach is minimal. Hope you have a great time!

Hilton Hawaiian Village is beautiful, but was not our choice for our 3 nights in Waikiki. Its at the far end of the Waikiki strip and made for a longer walk to the majority of restaurants and shops.

For us, our time in Waikiki was less about beach and pool time and more about shopping, dining, sightseeing, and enjoying the atmosphere of Waikiki. Because of this, we chose the Waikiki Beach Marriott. It is directly across the street from the beach and was in a great location to walk to many surrounding places. They also had a tour lobby where you can book or board an organized tour - we opted to do organized tours from Waikiki to Pearl Harbor and Diamond Head because it worked best for us logistically. I would definitely do it this way again - worked out well.

Our time at Aulani (and other islands we hopped to) was more dedicated to relaxation, and enjoying beaches and pools. With HHV having a very resort feel with all the resort amenities, it didn't make sense for us to pay that cost when the Marriott was far less expensive and in a better location for what we were looking to do.

Personally I would choose Outrigger over HHV if this was me planning for my family and those were my two choices

You will see once you get there that the location of HHV is just on the outside of Waikiki as @nkereina says above. That is ok if you are planning to use it as a base from which to leave for the day and go sight seeing or tour the island but as far as experiencing Waikiki goes, it leaves you on the outside of it all. As well, it is such a busy place it feels like its own area and not as much "Waikiki" as the more central locations do.

You had asked about the Embassy Suites in Waikiki as well. It is really land locked and also kind of closer to the area of HHV so I would not choose it over HHV

If I could choose any resort on Waikiki without concern about the price I would probably go with the Sheraton because of it's pool or the Halekulani because of the overall quality of the hotel but The Outrigger Waikiki you are asking about would be a solid third after that, you simply cannot beat the location

I am worried about the size of HHV. Outrigger WB seems much more manageable? But one of the PP posters has me worried about the age of my kids and it not being for families. Is it like a drunken debacle at night at the resort? I honestly do not know! We have an early dinner reservation at Duke’s on a Friday then we were going to walk down to see the fireworks. Saturday is Diamond Head early and then beach and Sunday is our last day so we plan for beach all day. Thinking Outrigger should be ok for all of that??

Yes it will be great. It's busy because of the section of the beach it is on and because Duke's has happy hour and live music. The beachfront of the hotel is quite busy, this will not affect your stay or the lobby really.

Thank you everyone for your responses! I cancelled the HHV and booked the Outrigger Waikiki Beach resort for a fantastic deal! I booked
Outrigger is fine for families....it’s just busy on the beach and on the street in front. Great location to get to Diamond Head. You might want to reserve an umbrella and chairs for the beach ahead of time. About $40-$50 for all day, but worth it if you want shade. That’s for 2 chaise lounges/1 umbrella. Pool is free.
We would want that for at least Sunday. Do I book that through the hotel?

Thanks, everyone! I canceled the HHV and booked the Outrigger Waikiki Beach resort with a V 47 Club package! I appreciate all of you taking the time to personally respond. We are VERY excited!

Thank you everyone for your responses! I cancelled the HHV and booked the Outrigger Waikiki Beach resort for a fantastic deal! I booked

We would want that for at least Sunday. Do I book that through the hotel?
Not sure if the Outrigger does it, but you can book with Waikiki Beach Services. Their desk is next door at the Royal Hawaiian, but anyone can reserve their umbrellas. They have an on line reservation system as well. https://www.waikikibeachservices.com/our-services/waikiki-beach-umbrella-and-lounge-rentals/. Enjoy and aloha!

I honestly wouldn’t enjoy two days on that beach in that crowd—maybe two mornings? I’d recommend Hanauma Bay after Diamond Head—mixed reviews here but we loved it.

I honestly wouldn’t enjoy two days on that beach in that crowd—maybe two mornings? I’d recommend Hanauma Bay after Diamond Head—mixed reviews here but we loved it.
Well it’s a good thing you aren’t coming with us 😉. Diamond Head is planned for sure. I’ve done Hanauma Bay and enjoyed it.

Well it’s a good thing you aren’t coming with us 😉. Diamond Head is planned for sure. I’ve done Hanauma Bay and enjoyed it.
Touche’. I guess if my choice is go with you and fight the crowd or not go, count me in! LOL

Sounds like you’ve maybe been before? If not, we were surprised that Diamond Head wasn’t just a leisurely stroll—we were pretty sweaty when we were done. Just saying, for planning purposes.

Touche’. I guess if my choice is go with you and fight the crowd or not go, count me in! LOL

Sounds like you’ve maybe been before? If not, we were surprised that Diamond Head wasn’t just a leisurely stroll—we were pretty sweaty when we were done. Just saying, for planning purposes.
Haha the more the merrier and on that part of the beach it is going to be more!

Yes I have visited Oahu previously, about 25 years ago. My uncle was stationed on the island for about five years (active duty Army) and we visited for about three weeks. We did the entire island plus a lot of places that could only be accessed with someone that is active duty (Kole Kole pass for example). We did Diamond Head and I do remember that it is a bit of a trek.

Thank you so much for the info! I appreciate real world information. I’m going to switch resorts today. Hopefully the deal I found yesterday is still there! It includes a light breakfast and evening appetizers and drinks in their new lounge. Plus I really like the location.

The new lounge sounds fab. I would love to hear what you think of the lounge.

The new lounge sounds fab. I would love to hear what you think of the lounge.
That’s what sealed it for me! DH heard craft beer in the evening and was in for the switch lol! It does seem very nice and it opens early, which is good for us East Coasters.

We loved dukes. Had a few dinners there sat on the verandah. If you have any celebrations when there sign up as sometimes you get something free
So the reservation is for inside and if we want to eat outside, it’s first come first served? It’s our 20th wedding anniversary!

We must have been lucky as the two separate years we were there it was not very busy

That’s what sealed it for me! DH heard craft beer in the evening and was in for the switch lol! It does seem very nice and it opens early, which is good for us East Coasters.

Ooo don’t forget hula pie at dukes 😋 and POG juice

Last edited:
So the reservation is for inside and if we want to eat outside, it’s first come first served? It’s our 20th wedding anniversary!

I am so sorry I cannot remember :(

Wondering if we booked with request for specific seating and got it if waited for free table? Dukes have their own website. Pretty sure booked direct. If you are in US maybe ring them. I am from the UK so might have emailed

https://www.dukeswaikiki.com/reservations-directions/
They have a Facebook page (hope allowed to say that as not Disney related) - great for photos and some videos

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter