Opinions Please

joshstamp

Mouseketeer
Hi Guys,

This is going to be a thread for your opinions on a matter that has two very different points of view that are argued.

I've always loved SeaWorld and Zoos and so on, and through visiting and taking part in behind the scenes tours I have always thought that all of the animals are looked after and cared for well.

As far as I'm aware 99% of the time (random number :D) the animals that are in the enclosures have been bred in captivity, therefore reducing natural instincts that they may have had if they were born in the wild.

In which case I always thought for the animals bred in captivity that it is better for them to be there (if hunting is a large part of their survival in the wild) than to be released and not know how to fend for themselves, and ultimately not survive for very long.

On a last note I also think it's good to have some animals that people may not see in their lifetime anywhere else, as the attention that the animal gets in the park/zoo may lead to people donating to the charities for the endangered species.

What are your thoughts on all of this? :goodvibes

Well that's what sea world does best is lies but they lie so well you leave the park believing in them. Cetacea ( the classification of marine mammals ) which include dolphins ,killer whales humpback whales etc , are highly intelligent, social , and family oriented creatures. Kind of sounds like humans right? Lets focus on killer whales they swim over 100miles a day form strong bonds from birth with their mothers so strong they stay in the same pod their whole life
“The average life expectancy for female orcas in the wild has been estimated at 45 to 50 years, with a maximum lifespan of about 90,” and, “the average life expectancy for a wild orca male is approximately 30 years, with an estimated maximum lifespan of about 60.”There is zero evidence to date to even suggest that captive killer whales live anywhere near as long as those in the ocean. Many orcas at SeaWorld have died in their teens, 20s, and often younger. This rate of death is extremely high, and much higher than what is found in the wild.
Captive female orcas give birth too young and too often, leading to both high adult and high infant mortality.
The most common cause of death for captive orcas is infection. Chronic stress may be an important factor in weakening the animals’ immune response.
Captive orcas have poor dental health compared to wild whales, which may be another factor in their susceptibility to fatal infections.
Orcas in captivity are more aggressive toward each other than in the wild. Females also behave abnormally toward their calves more often than in the wild.
While I'm not sure releasing these beautiful creatures is any longer possible we need to stop catching or breeding them improve there habitats and let them live out there lives and never repeat our mistake :)

Well that's what sea world does best is lies but they lie so well you leave the park believing in them. Cetacea ( the classification of marine mammals ) which include dolphins ,killer whales humpback whales etc , are highly intelligent, social , and family oriented creatures. Kind of sounds like humans right? Lets focus on killer whales they swim over 100miles a day form strong bonds from birth with their mothers so strong they stay in the same pod their whole life
“The average life expectancy for female orcas in the wild has been estimated at 45 to 50 years, with a maximum lifespan of about 90,” and, “the average life expectancy for a wild orca male is approximately 30 years, with an estimated maximum lifespan of about 60.”There is zero evidence to date to even suggest that captive killer whales live anywhere near as long as those in the ocean. Many orcas at SeaWorld have died in their teens, 20s, and often younger. This rate of death is extremely high, and much higher than what is found in the wild.
Captive female orcas give birth too young and too often, leading to both high adult and high infant mortality.
The most common cause of death for captive orcas is infection. Chronic stress may be an important factor in weakening the animals’ immune response.
Captive orcas have poor dental health compared to wild whales, which may be another factor in their susceptibility to fatal infections.
Orcas in captivity are more aggressive toward each other than in the wild. Females also behave abnormally toward their calves more often than in the wild.
While I'm not sure releasing these beautiful creatures is any longer possible we need to stop catching or breeding them improve there habitats and let them live out there lives and never repeat our mistake :)

I will have to respectufully disagree with you on several points. The first being that Seaworld lies. Seaworld is a well respected zoological facility that contributes to the rehabilitation and release of several hundred animals throughout the course of the year. While whales specifically aren't released, for the reason that they were born in Captivity and Captivity is all they have ever known, there are thousands of other wildlife that have been released by the park over it's almost 50 year history. Seaworld currently has 22 Killer whales at it's parks in the United states. Out of those 22 whales, 5 were captured from the wild. Though five of the whales were captured in the wild, they were not done directly by Seaworld themselves. I'll break it down:

The five whales that were captured from the wild:

Probably the most notable was Tilly who currently lives at Seaworld in Orlando. Tilly was captured off the coast of Iceland in the early 1980s. The capture was done by a defunct marine park in Canada called Sealand of the Pacific. This park has no affiliation with Seaworld in Orlando. When the park was close to closing down, Seaworld made an agreement with the park to give Tilly a new home in Orlando due to the fact that Sealand was unable to properly care for him as the park was shutting down.

The 2nd whale, Katina, also currently lives in Seaworld Orlando. Katina was also captured off of the coast of Iceland in the late 1970s. Katina was not captured by Seaworld either. Katina was captured by Marineland in Niagra Falls Canada. Marineland also has no affiliation with Seaworld. Katina did not get along well with the other whales that Marineland had at the time, and because of this, Seaworld bought her so that they could care for her and give her a better life.

The 3rd whale, Ulysees, currently lives in Seaworld San Diego. Ulysees was captured off the coast of Iceland in the early 1980s.Ulysees was captured by a marine park in Iceland before it shut down. When the park shut down, He was then sent to a Marine park in Spain. When Ulysees health declined at the spanish park due to the fact that he was living in poor conditions, Seaworld once again stepped up and bought Ulysees to bring him over to the United States and give him a better home at Seaworld. Both the marine park in Iceland who captured Ulysees and the park in Spain have no affilitation with Seaworld.

Whale number 4 is Corky. Corky was captured off the coast of British Columbia in the late 1970s. Corky was captured by a park called Marineland of the Pacific which was located in California. When the park faced financial hardship, Seaworld bought the park in order to transfer the animals to Seaworld parks to provide better living conditions for them. Seaworld then closed Marineland of the Pacific 6 weeks after they had purchased the park. Before Seaworld bought the small marine park, the park had no affiliation with Seaworld.

Finally, there is Kasatka. Kasatka was captured off the coast of Iceland in the late 1970s by a marine park in Iceland. Seaworld bought Kasatka from the park in Iceland in the late 1970s and brought her over to the United States. She currently lives in Seaworld San Diego. Seaworld had no affiliation with this marine park in Iceland.

All the other 17 whales in Captivity were born in Seaworld parks.

So given the Facts presented above, Seaworld currently has ZERO whales that were captured by Seaworld itself. The whales captured from the wild were done so by Marine Parks with no affiliation with Seaworld and were later bought by Seaworld to increase their quality of life. Today, Seaworld doesn't capture or take any animals from the wild unless the animal is injured, stranded and is unable to be released back into the wild. The pilot whales currently living at Seaworld in Florida are a perfect example as several animals were had been beached on the coast of Florida, the remainder of their pod had died, and the four whales were currently to young to fend for themselves in the wild.

The member who posted above me went on to say:

The average life expectancy for female orcas in the wild has been estimated at 45 to 50 years, with a maximum lifespan of about 90,” and, “the average life expectancy for a wild orca male is approximately 30 years, with an estimated maximum lifespan of about 60.”There is zero evidence to date to even suggest that captive killer whales live anywhere near as long as those in the ocean. Many orcas at SeaWorld have died in their teens, 20s, and often younger. This rate of death is extremely high, and much higher than what is found in the wild.

Seaworld parks has only been in existence for less than 50 years. So obviously it's impossible for a whale in one of its parks to have lived until the age of 90. We'll have to see in another 40 years how old the whales are until then, every "Fact" that animal rights activists like to present about killerwhales lifespans in captivity is merely an estimate, it's pure speculation.

Out of the 22 Whales Currently Seaworld parks around the world (And Remember, Seaworld parks have only been around for about 50 years)

The oldest whale is 44
The next two oldest whales are 35
The next oldest whale is 33
The next oldest whale is 30
The next two oldest are 25
The next two oldest are 21
The next two oldest whales are 20
The remainder of the whales, Seaworld's youngest members were born between 1996 and 2013.

Yes, there have been several whales that have died at a young age, some have died older. But death is a part of life, and you can't tell me for one second that every single whale worldwide living in the wild has been documented and is living well into their 30s and beyond. I'm pretty sure there are whales in the wild that die in their teens and 20s too. It's like humans. The average life expectancy for humans is 70 something. Some humans live to be 100 and some humans die when they're teenagers. When it comes to death, it's inevitable. As the years progress, the quality of care through advances in Veterinary technologies and knowledge of Seaworld staff improves and so does the already high quality of life that the whales receive at Seaworld.

To further discredit your sources, who are most likely two individuals, Dr. Naomi Rose and Dr. Lori Marino: Keep in mind that these two individuals who have claimed to have done extensive research on Killerwhales in the wild and in Captivity are Animal Rights Zealots.The two have called for total animal liberation by giving all animals similar rights to humans, they have called for an end to all consumption of animal products proposing that all humans should live off a strict Vegan diet, they have called for a release of all animals in zoos and other educational facilities such as Seaworld. I would be willing to bet that there is just a touch of bias in their scientific research. And then there is PETA who most the sane population of the world would agree is crazy. PETA recently sued Seaworld because they felt as if Seaworld was keeping the whales as slaves. The lawsuit said Seaworld was violating the whales 13th amendment rights. The lawsuit was dismissed by a court.

Unfortunately, a lot of the animal rights propaganda you see nowadays paints Seaworld to be an evil abusive organization. If you took the chance to go to the park and see how the animals are loved and cared for by their trainers and other staff, how their living conditions are world class compared to most other zoos and aquariums in the world, and understand the fact that these animals are living at the park for one reason or another but not because they were captured by Seaworld itself to make a profit as it's so often claimed, you might be able to be a part of the solution of helping animals in need instead of belittling a respect organization who does just that.

The average life expectancy for female orcas in the wild has been estimated at 45 to 50 years, with a maximum lifespan of about 90, and, the average life expectancy for a wild orca male is approximately 30 years, with an estimated maximum lifespan of about 60.There is zero evidence to date to even suggest that captive killer whales live anywhere near as long as those in the ocean. Many orcas at SeaWorld have died in their teens, 20s, and often younger. This rate of death is extremely high, and much higher than what is found in the wild.
The most common cause of death for captive orcas is infection. Chronic stress may be an important factor in weakening the animals immune response.

I agree with you. There probably isn't much that can be done for the animals already in captivity but I believe no new animals should be caught from the wild and added to the problem. No matter how you look at it a mammal who is meant to swim 100 miles per day is not going to be happy in a small tank.

I agree with you. There probably isn't much that can be done for the animals already in captivity but I believe no new animals should be caught from the wild and added to the problem. No matter how you look at it a mammal who is meant to swim 100 miles per day is not going to be happy in a small tank.

Let me ask you this, if another park, like the ones that Sea World has purchased animals from, catches a whale and then cannot care for that whale, is it not better that a place like Sea World exists to take those animals?

I mean, this country could pass a law that states no whales be captured but we can't make laws for the world. And if that law then prohibits Sea World from obtaining those captured animals, doesn't that then make it worse?

I believe Sea World and the vast majority of zoos do far more good than harm, and I have zero problem with their existence or with their practices.

KBF said:
I will have to respectufully disagree with you on several points. The first being that Seaworld lies. Seaworld is a well respected zoological facility that contributes to the rehabilitation and release of several hundred animals throughout the course of the year. While whales specifically aren't released, for the reason that they were born in Captivity and Captivity is all they have ever known, there are thousands of other wildlife that have been released by the park over it's almost 50 year history. Seaworld currently has 22 Killer whales at it's parks in the United states. Out of those 22 whales, 5 were captured from the wild. Though five of the whales were captured in the wild, they were not done directly by Seaworld themselves. I'll break it down:

The five whales that were captured from the wild:

Probably the most notable was Tilly who currently lives at Seaworld in Orlando. Tilly was captured off the coast of Iceland in the early 1980s. The capture was done by a defunct marine park in Canada called Sealand of the Pacific. This park has no affiliation with Seaworld in Orlando. When the park was close to closing down, Seaworld made an agreement with the park to give Tilly a new home in Orlando due to the fact that Sealand was unable to properly care for him as the park was shutting down.

The 2nd whale, Katina, also currently lives in Seaworld Orlando. Katina was also captured off of the coast of Iceland in the late 1970s. Katina was not captured by Seaworld either. Katina was captured by Marineland in Niagra Falls Canada. Marineland also has no affiliation with Seaworld. Katina did not get along well with the other whales that Marineland had at the time, and because of this, Seaworld bought her so that they could care for her and give her a better life.

The 3rd whale, Ulysees, currently lives in Seaworld San Diego. Ulysees was captured off the coast of Iceland in the early 1980s.Ulysees was captured by a marine park in Iceland before it shut down. When the park shut down, He was then sent to a Marine park in Spain. When Ulysees health declined at the spanish park due to the fact that he was living in poor conditions, Seaworld once again stepped up and bought Ulysees to bring him over to the United States and give him a better home at Seaworld. Both the marine park in Iceland who captured Ulysees and the park in Spain have no affilitation with Seaworld.

Whale number 4 is Corky. Corky was captured off the coast of British Columbia in the late 1970s. Corky was captured by a park called Marineland of the Pacific which was located in California. When the park faced financial hardship, Seaworld bought the park in order to transfer the animals to Seaworld parks to provide better living conditions for them. Seaworld then closed Marineland of the Pacific 6 weeks after they had purchased the park. Before Seaworld bought the small marine park, the park had no affiliation with Seaworld.

Finally, there is Kasatka. Kasatka was captured off the coast of Iceland in the late 1970s by a marine park in Iceland. Seaworld bought Kasatka from the park in Iceland in the late 1970s and brought her over to the United States. She currently lives in Seaworld San Diego. Seaworld had no affiliation with this marine park in Iceland.

All the other 17 whales in Captivity were born in Seaworld parks.

So given the Facts presented above, Seaworld currently has ZERO whales that were captured by Seaworld itself. The whales captured from the wild were done so by Marine Parks with no affiliation with Seaworld and were later bought by Seaworld to increase their quality of life. Today, Seaworld doesn't capture or take any animals from the wild unless the animal is injured, stranded and is unable to be released back into the wild. The pilot whales currently living at Seaworld in Florida are a perfect example as several animals were had been beached on the coast of Florida, the remainder of their pod had died, and the four whales were currently to young to fend for themselves in the wild.

The member who posted above me went on to say:

Seaworld parks has only been in existence for less than 50 years. So obviously it's impossible for a whale in one of its parks to have lived until the age of 90. We'll have to see in another 40 years how old the whales are until then, every "Fact" that animal rights activists like to present about killerwhales lifespans in captivity is merely an estimate, it's pure speculation.

Out of the 22 Whales Currently Seaworld parks around the world (And Remember, Seaworld parks have only been around for about 50 years)

The oldest whale is 44
The next two oldest whales are 35
The next oldest whale is 33
The next oldest whale is 30
The next two oldest are 25
The next two oldest are 21
The next two oldest whales are 20
The remainder of the whales, Seaworld's youngest members were born between 1996 and 2013.

Yes, there have been several whales that have died at a young age, some have died older. But death is a part of life, and you can't tell me for one second that every single whale worldwide living in the wild has been documented and is living well into their 30s and beyond. I'm pretty sure there are whales in the wild that die in their teens and 20s too. It's like humans. The average life expectancy for humans is 70 something. Some humans live to be 100 and some humans die when they're teenagers. When it comes to death, it's inevitable. As the years progress, the quality of care through advances in Veterinary technologies and knowledge of Seaworld staff improves and so does the already high quality of life that the whales receive at Seaworld.

To further discredit your sources, who are most likely two individuals, Dr. Naomi Rose and Dr. Lori Marino: Keep in mind that these two individuals who have claimed to have done extensive research on Killerwhales in the wild and in Captivity are Animal Rights Zealots.The two have called for total animal liberation by giving all animals similar rights to humans, they have called for an end to all consumption of animal products proposing that all humans should live off a strict Vegan diet, they have called for a release of all animals in zoos and other educational facilities such as Seaworld. I would be willing to bet that there is just a touch of bias in their scientific research. And then there is PETA who most the sane population of the world would agree is crazy. PETA recently sued Seaworld because they felt as if Seaworld was keeping the whales as slaves. The lawsuit said Seaworld was violating the whales 13th amendment rights. The lawsuit was dismissed by a court.

Unfortunately, a lot of the animal rights propaganda you see nowadays paints Seaworld to be an evil abusive organization. If you took the chance to go to the park and see how the animals are loved and cared for by their trainers and other staff, how their living conditions are world class compared to most other zoos and aquariums in the world, and understand the fact that these animals are living at the park for one reason or another but not because they were captured by Seaworld itself to make a profit as it's so often claimed, you might be able to be a part of the solution of helping animals in need instead of belittling a respect organization who does just that.

I love reading your wealth of knowledge about SW. I always like going to the park and learning more and the fact that the kids learn too. SW is a great program and is always first on the scene to save an animal. Living in FL I always hear about these stories.

I can agree about SW compared to other parks. It does not compare to anything else I have seen. We moved from Miami and I grew up going to the Miami Seaqurium. Used to be a nice place now it is so run down and I feel bad. They are working on fixing it up and expanding cause they have threatened to shut the park down. I would like to see the GA aquarium I hear it is nice. I am sure it will not compare to SW. I love dolphins and orcas and SW is the best place.

Let me ask you this, if another park, like the ones that Sea World has purchased animals from, catches a whale and then cannot care for that whale, is it not better that a place like Sea World exists to take those animals?

I mean, this country could pass a law that states no whales be captured but we can't make laws for the world. And if that law then prohibits Sea World from obtaining those captured animals, doesn't that then make it worse?

Someone has to step up and help that animal. I would have no problem with Seaworld rescuing a mammal in that situation.

I love reading your wealth of knowledge about SW. I always like going to the park and learning more and the fact that the kids learn too. SW is a great program and is always first on the scene to save an animal. Living in FL I always hear about these stories.

I can agree about SW compared to other parks. It does not compare to anything else I have seen. We moved from Miami and I grew up going to the Miami Seaqurium. Used to be a nice place now it is so run down and I feel bad. They are working on fixing it up and expanding cause they have threatened to shut the park down. I would like to see the GA aquarium I hear it is nice. I am sure it will not compare to SW. I love dolphins and orcas and SW is the best place.

Thanks for your kind words about my posts. Its been enjoyable talking to you and others on the Seaworld side of the boards by sharing information and knowledge with each other.

In all, 37 orcas have died in captivity at SeaWorlds 3 parks. There have been 28 live births at the 3 parks (9 of which are deceased as well as 10 of their mothers) and numerous unsuccessful births. Not sure how many more need to die in order for them to call keeping orcas unsuccessful?

I agree that captive born whales can't be released but you don't ask a zookeeper to arm wrestle a gorilla to show how strong he is or to get in a lions cage and try to out run it to show how fast they are. Seaworld puts more value on shows then they do education. What's educational about a human riding on the back of a killer whale or being pulled around by a dolphin? What I am saying is have some respect for a highly intelligent creature try and make its life happy expand the tanks give them some sand some coral kelp anything but a sterile swimming pool.

I agree that captive born whales can't be released but you don't ask a zookeeper to arm wrestle a gorilla to show how strong he is or to get in a lions cage and try to out run it to show how fast they are. Seaworld puts more value on shows then they do education. What's educational about a human riding on the back of a killer whale or being pulled around by a dolphin? What I am saying is have some respect for a highly intelligent creature try and make its life happy expand the tanks give them some sand some coral kelp anything but a sterile swimming pool.

Steve Irwin used to say that you had to love something in order to want to save it. And his job was to make us love crocs so we would want to save them. SeaWorld is the same way about the marine animals - their shows, in addition to educating, show us the beauty of these animals so that we want to do something to help them.

BTW - how much sand and coral in the open ocean? Seriously? :confused3

I believe Sea World and the vast majority of zoos do far more good than harm, and I have zero problem with their existence or with their practices.

I agree. Obviously, there are issues with keeping social, intelligent animals captive (orcas, gorillas, elephants...). However, the education SeaWorld and good zoos provide to the general public is positive. I think the good outweighs the bad here.

. Steve Irwin used to say that you had to love something in order to want to save it. And his job was to make us love crocs so we would want to save them. SeaWorld is the same way about the marine animals - their shows, in addition to educating, show us the beauty of these animals so that we want to do something to help them. BTW - how much sand and coral in the open ocean? Seriously?

Look at the enclosures the Steve Irwin built for his crocs very natural . In fact his mission was to build as close to nature as he was able to. Killer whales swim in coves where there are smooth stones that they rub their bodies on. While they can't mimic open ocean lets mimic a cove with stones and kelp. I misspoke about the coral sorry :( oh and if we're going to quote famous people how about “There is about as much educational benefit to be gained in studying dolphins in captivity as there would be studying mankind by only observing prisoners held in solitary confinement” – Jacques Cousteau

. Steve Irwin used to say that you had to love something in order to want to save it. And his job was to make us love crocs so we would want to save them. SeaWorld is the same way about the marine animals - their shows, in addition to educating, show us the beauty of these animals so that we want to do something to help them. BTW - how much sand and coral in the open ocean? Seriously?

Look at the enclosures the Steve Irwin built for his crocs very natural . In fact his mission was to build as close to nature as he was able to. Killer whales swim in coves where there are smooth stones that they rub their bodies on. While they can't mimic open ocean lets mimic a cove with stones and kelp. I misspoke about the coral sorry :( oh and if we're going to quote famous people how about “There is about as much educational benefit to be gained in studying dolphins in captivity as there would be studying mankind by only observing prisoners held in solitary confinement” – Jacques Cousteau

Exactly. Which is why these creatures are also studied in their natural environment. There are a lot of experts involved. I'd let them do their jobs and not meddle too much. :goodvibes

I do think the major zoos try to do good and get the conservation message across. They care about their animals and provide them good habitats.

Unfortunately there are some operations just out to make a buck at the animals expense but most of the time it's easy to see which are good and which are bad. I get so angry when I go to Branson, MO and see the Kirby show building. He has big exotic cats for a magic show, but the jerk keeps them in cages, inside, with no grass, no dirt, no sunshine and then has to gall to say "Oh they're happy!". Then he actually treats them like pets and tries to cuddle on the couch with them. I wonder how many times he has to get mauled before he realizes these are wild animals and need a suitable habitat with things to keep them active and healthy.

I don't think whales should be kept in captivity. They are simply too large for us to be able to provide a proper habitat that keeps them happy. I would say places like SeaWorld should keep the whales they have, but stop trying to breed them. Once the ones they have die, I don't think they should attempt to get any more of them. But the issue of other Marine parks closing does present a conundrum since the whales in those places may not be suited for release back in the wild.

Your heart is in the right place, you really care a lot about the animals. Could the whale enclosures at Seaworld be more natural? Sure they probably could, but again, look at the enclosures at Seaworld compared to others around the world. The quality of life of the whales at Seaworld are far better than whales that live at marine parks in other parts of the world.

Regarding your quote from Jacques Coustau: As a previous poster wrote on the previous page, the whole Seaworld experience is to bring awareness to people who might otherwise never get to see a whale or dolphin or other marine animal that close up. Sometimes, people are inspired by seeing animals in a zoological setting. They can be inspired to play a role in saving a declining population of a certain species, or donate to a conservation fund. That is the educational benefit in zoological parks like Seaworld.

What can we learn from the whales in dolphins in captivity? Well, all the animals at Seaworld aren't there just to be presented to the public on a daily basis. The animal care and research staff at Seaworld constantly study the behaviors of all the animals in the park. New veterinary techniques are developed through observing, researching and coming to an understanding about the animals in the care. Seaworld have improved such techniques as Artificial insemination for various animal species including killerwhales. Imagine in the future if the killerwhale population in the wild had decreased to such an alarming number, that the species was facing extinction. How could we resolve the issue? We could possibly solve the issue through artificial insemination (AI). We could use AI to help repopulate a species near extinction. And it doesn't have to be with just whales, it could be with any animal on the planet.

I would go further and challenge the special status given to whales. While some groups make a big deal about cetacean intelligence and emotional development. The reality is that they exhibit the same degree of complex behavior or Social structuring as herds of wild dear.

Closest thing to advanced emotional development would be the dolphin's penchant for cruelty; scientists observe them torturing baby porpois for know other reason than amusement.

Personally, I think they are an important part of the ocean ecosystem and any intervention into that should be concerned with that ecosystem as a whole moreso than some perceived nobility of one species or another.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter