Opinions...US Air or Southwest??

Luckymommyx2

Wishing you a magical day
I need some help figuring this one out so any help would be greatly appreciated. We are located halfway between Philly and BWI airports. We are going on DCL next May and I'm debating on whether to book our tickets through US Air now or wait until Southwest opens up May reservations. (When would that be?) Our price for 2 adults and 2 children from Philly to MCO on US Air would be $746. I'm not sure how much better I can do through Southwest and if I wait and Southwest can't do any better then I'm afraid US Air's tickets will increase. I know I'm probably worrying too much about this but I'm a planner and seem to have just about everything else figured out! Thanks in advance for any opinions on this!!:)

I can tell you that Southwest does not have seat assignments. The assign by group A, B, and C depending on the time of check in. I'm sure that the 4 of you sitting together is a priority for you so maybe this wil help in your decision.
Good luck in whatever you decide!

I vote to wait for SWA. But, of course, you could not pay me to fly USAir. Their latest restrictions cement this opinion even more.
I cannot tell you when SWA will open reservations for May, but a guess would be around Feb/March.

I can't wait for them to go under. They are easily the worst airline I have ever flown on! I wouldn't give them any money now, they may be out of business by May.

If you are flying out of BWI you may want to consider AirTran as an alternative to SWA.

I was going to suggest Air Tran, also. We will be flying with them for our November trip. We always fly US Air, but I got great fare on Air Tran. We're leaving Philly at 4pm on the 4th and returning at 1:40pm on the 11th, non-stop both ways, for $353 for two! US Air wanted over $700 for EACH ticket!!!:eek:

Is it a non stop flight on USair....because there are sales on airlines during the year on all airlines if you keep looking...but most are connections....

I have $133 on delta for March .....but I have 1 hr connection but the flight departure and arrival times are great..

The only reason I am saying that is because of the "changes" USAir is making. Not to say that SWA won't make any but I have had the personal experience of my October USAir flight being changed to leave an hour later - could be worse though.

Originally posted by Bigcat
I can't wait for them to go under. They are easily the worst airline I have ever flown on!

I'm sure all the people whose jobs would be affected would love to hear you say that.

I think I will hold off on booking US Air, at least for now. I took Dopey Sharon's advice and tried to check fares on Air Tran but my date must not be available yet. Does anyone know if Air Tran has the open seating like Southwest. That has been my only concern with Southwest. I guess I won't be booking as soon as I thought but thanks for everyone's input so far!:)

I called Air Tran the other night about assigned seating. The woman I talked to was very nice and we got our seats...she even asked me if I had a preference! She did mention something about Air Tran not being like that "other" airline, in terms of first come first served in seating, but I really don't know what that meant. I would try the Air Tran site, again, next month or November. They should have their schedule then for May. Good luck!:D

LuckyMommy -
Keep checking the airfares for several airlines for your dates. I watch for a few weeks to get a feel of prices and then buy what I think is a good deal.

We have USAir for our Nov. trip at $164.00 and that is with all the tax and surcharges included. It is also a non-stop flight. Now we live only 20 min. from Philly airport so I'm much more inclined to fly out of there than Baltimore but I still always check SWA's rates to see if they can beat USAIR non-stop. So far on four trips they haven't. Other airlines out of Philly do not seem to go non-stop to Orlando. But if you can live with a connection, you can find other decent airfares like Zurgswife mentioned.

Good luck!
Gi

We have a $118 RT out of BWI on SW in November. I just saw a commercial for AirTran for the same price.

If you have a small child (under 4) you get priority seating on SW.

If you have a small child (under 4) you get priority seating on SW.

You get to board before the other pax but AFTER those with special needs. Not exactly priority seating, but close.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter