Options for Unused Discounted DVC PAP?

conandrob240

DIS Veteran
So, I bought PAP at $399 each for me, husband and three kids. Turns out 3rd kid (who just turned 3) is NOT going to be traveling with us this summer. He is quite a handful and doesn't really listen very well (+++++;)) so we decided he is detained from Disney one more year (staying with grandparents). He'll go with us next summer (August 2014).

Option 1: Can I use his PAP for someone else? I know it says child but does that matter since price was the same. if we can use it for someone else, what do we do? Just have the other person activate it when the rest of us activate ours? Can they activate it separate from ours? (I am thinking in the case of just giving it to a friend).

Option 2: Or can we use the vale of it towards another ticket? Sometimes hubby skips annual trips so we sometimes buy him a 10 day parkhopper. Can we just apply the $399 value of this ticket towards a 10day no expiration and just activate it next year or year after?

Option 3: Can we activate it for 3rd child when we go (I know it must be activated by Dec 2013) even though he won't be with us? And then we'd just have it for him ready to go for next summer?

TIA for options.

So, I bought PAP at $399 each for me, husband and three kids. Turns out 3rd kid (who just turned 3) is NOT going to be traveling with us this summer. He is quite a handful and doesn't really listen very well (+++++;)) so we decided he is detained from Disney one more year (staying with grandparents). He'll go with us next summer (August 2014).

Option 1: Can I use his PAP for someone else? I know it says child but does that matter since price was the same. if we can use it for someone else, what do we do? Just have the other person activate it when the rest of us activate ours? Can they activate it separate from ours? (I am thinking in the case of just giving it to a friend).

Option 2: Or can we use the vale of it towards another ticket? Sometimes hubby skips annual trips so we sometimes buy him a 10 day parkhopper. Can we just apply the $399 value of this ticket towards a 10day no expiration and just activate it next year or year after?

Option 3: Can we activate it for 3rd child when we go (I know it must be activated by Dec 2013) even though he won't be with us? And then we'd just have it for him ready to go for next summer?

TIA for options.

Option 1 - not unless someone else is a member or an family member living at your address.

Option 2 - you could do that. You would not need no expiration because the clock doesn't start running until first use.

Option 3 - no, ID needs to be presented showing your address.

You could call member services and discuss. Others have reported getting refunds when they said they will not be traveling by 12-31-13.

Hmmm. What ID would a three year old have showing his address? As I understood it, children do not need proof of address.

Also, Option 1- if we gave ticket to a DVC member friend or someone else in our household used ticket, that WOULD be okay then right?

Hmmm. What ID would a three year old have showing his address? As I understood it, children do not need proof of address.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought the new person was an adult.

Also, Option 1- if we gave ticket to a DVC member friend or someone else in our household used ticket, that WOULD be okay then right?

If the other member is there, they can present their ID showing your address. If they are not there, you would need to get a voucher that they can take with them.

What exactly is a "voucher"? I ordered my tickets on line and have in hand 5plastic "cards". Aren't those the "vouchers"?

Also, regarding Option 2: i added the "no expiration" part ust because that is what we like to buy. Forgetting about that part, the $399 of any of these PAP can be put towards any other ticket I want? For anyone to use (DVC or non DVC)?

I thought the voucher had to be activated by the end of this year with the special pricing, so saving it until next year isn't an option.

I don't think I am communicating clearly. I'd like to know which (if any) are options for a PAP that will not be needed until 2014:

1) Give away or sell the PAP to another person (a DVC member or another member of my household) other than the child it was intended for.

2) Apply the value of the $399 PAP towards another ticket for another person. Under this scenario , we'd probably purchase a 10 day PH, WPFM, no-expire ticket that someone (probably my husband) will use in 2015 or later. Can we do this? and if so, we don't have to assign a "person" to the 10 day ticket yet , right? We can just hold it unused until we use it? If we hold it unused until 2015, would we have to pay if pricing goes up?

3) Activate the PAP for the child even though he will NOT BE THERE. with the intent of him using it in summer 2014.

The problem with number 2 is that Disney is phasing out the no-expiration options for passes and it might not be an option for you. Number 3 works as long as it will still be valid for your 2014 trip. Your child doesn't need to be there as your the member and its a child's ticket. Number 1 could pose problems, as I remember giving everyone's name when I bought the vouchers and I think those names were matched when I activated them, so that could be problematic trying to use it for someone else.

Hmmm. I thought Option 3 would be the LEAST LIKELY option?!? LOL So, even though the person won't be there, I can activate their ticket when we go? Don't you have to scan it at a turnstyle and enter a park to "activate" it? How would that work if the kid isn't there?

Forget the expiration piece of #2, please. That is irrelavant. The question is: CAN I APPLY THE $399 I paid for the PAP towards any other ticket I want for a different person?

You'll just get a "live" pass that is already activated. To use later.

As for the second question, I really don't know, I'd PM Cheshire Figment he's the DIS ticket guru with your questions.

Honestly I would call Member Services and ask for options. Simply explain to them what you have shared here.

For while we can all make educated guesses as to what your options are they can make it happen.

If you activate it, the pass is going to be linked to that person by way of the finger scan.

You'll just get a "live" pass that is already activated. To use later.

As for the second question, I really don't know, I'd PM Cheshire Figment he's the DIS ticket guru with your questions.

This is the best answer. I would not trust the answer from Member Services, they are not that familiar with the intricacies of tickets and APs.

When we picked up our DVC PAPs at DTD two weeks ago, we were given the option of activating them immediately or getting a voucher that would still need to be taken to Guest Services at a park. We opted for the immediate activation so our "year" began that day. When we entered MK the next morning we had to initiate the finger scan at the turnstyle. The scan was not encoded on the PAP until that time.

I would certainly contact MS to confirm, but I believe you will be able to activate the PAP when you do that for the rest of your family and it will then be valid for a year from that date. As long as this year's trip is within a year of the planned August, 2014 trip your child will still be able to use the PAP for that trip.

Good luck! :)

You too might have the option of a refund. I was told by the ticketing office when I purchased my PAPs to keep the Disney Gift Cards that I used for their purchase just in case I did not use them by Dec 31 and needed a refund -- I was told that in some situations they did refund because of individual circumstances.

Called MS who told me to call Ticketing. Called ticketing who sent me back to MS. Finally got helpful MS agent who conferenced in ticketing agent and they ultimately just gave me a refund on the ticket.

Called MS who told me to call Ticketing. Called ticketing who sent me back to MS. Finally got helpful MS agent who conferenced in ticketing agent and they ultimately just gave me a refund on the ticket.

I need to do this! I bought 4 PAP's for our upcoming trip and my DH unfortunately won't be making it due to work. I hope I can get a refund too!!!

We called MS and found we can get a gift card for the amount of the voucher. We're going to spend it on Le' Cellier (and a few other places).

I called both MS and Disney ticketing and no refund! Why can't they be consistent. I would be happy with a gift card. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter