Orange County

Newliskeardfamily

Mouseketeer
We are thinking of spending a couple of days near the shore in Orange County. We are thinking about going to Dana Pt. Does anyone have suggestions about what do to in that area?

A rather open ended question. Are you a golfer? I suspect you chose Dana Point in part because of the
whale watching excursions - it's a great place for that. Are you into fishing? There are some nice hiking
trails - more urban than rustic. There's the Ocean Institute.

Why Dana Point specifically? There's not that much there other than, as mentioned, whale watching. I would suggest Newport Beach area. Much better accessible beaches and a great harbor area. Amazing restaurants as well. Laguna Beach is also a great town!

yes a tad open ended I
Why Dana Point specifically? There's not that much there other than, as mentioned, whale watching. I would suggest Newport Beach area. Much better accessible beaches and a great harbor area. Amazing restaurants as well. Laguna Beach is also a great town!
The whale watching is why Dana Point is being chosen. We have budgeted 2 days time in the area and would love to know the best beaches for seeing seals and the best piers

yes a tad open ended I

The whale watching is why Dana Point is being chosen. We have budgeted 2 days time in the area and would love to know the best beaches for seeing seals and the best piers

You will need to take a whale watching expedition to see seals. You might see them at the mouth of the harbor, on the way in or out. They don't just hang out near the beach. Dana Point doesn't have a pier...It has a boat harbor. Newport Beach has a pier. Also Huntington Beach Beach has one. Dana Point isn't really a great "beach" town. There are only two small public beach areas, neither of which is that great. There aren't many hotels there either. It's mostly a residential beach town.

Newport Beach, specifically Corona del Mar state beach is the best beach in OC. Laguna Beach is second best, IMO. There is a ton to do in Laguna Beach...Lots of dining and shopping and art museums. Balboa Pier is the one in Newport. Newport also has lots of good shopping, dining, and recreation.

Dana Point is somewhere I would just drive down to in order to do the whale watching thing, but there's not much else to do there, honestly. I live in OC and never go there.

You will need to take a whale watching expedition to see seals. You might see them at the mouth of the harbor, on the way in or out. They don't just hang out near the beach. Dana Point doesn't have a pier...It has a boat harbor. Newport Beach has a pier. Also Huntington Beach Beach has one. Dana Point isn't really a great "beach" town. There are only two small public beach areas, neither of which is that great. There aren't many hotels there either. It's mostly a residential beach town.

Newport Beach, specifically Corona del Mar state beach is the best beach in OC. Laguna Beach is second best, IMO. There is a ton to do in Laguna Beach...Lots of dining and shopping and art museums. Balboa Pier is the one in Newport. Newport also has lots of good shopping, dining, and recreation.

Dana Point is somewhere I would just drive down to in order to do the whale watching thing, but there's not much else to do there, honestly. I live in OC and never go there.
I have thought about staying at Irvine. Is that close enough to the shore?

In Dana Point, you'll be close to san Juan Capistrano if you have any interest in seeing one of the missions. There's a state beach, Doheny Beach in Dana Point that has an educational center, a food area and camping. It has both nice and dirty areas. While there is no pier, there are shops and restaurants in the harbor.

If I were to stay there a couple days, I'd spend one full day doing the above things and then drive over to Crystal Cove State park or Corona del mar for the second day.

I wouldn't stay in Irvine. It's like a big busy city. There's some great places to dine, but if you have the opportunity to stay next to the beach, I'd do that instead.

I have thought about staying at Irvine. Is that close enough to the shore?

That's where I live! It's actually a great place to stay. It's a 15-20 min drive to Dana Point and same to Newport Beach. If you stay near the Irvine Spectrum (huge outdoor shopping/dining/entertainment complex) that is a good location. Irvine is not like a huge busy city. It's one of the country's first master planned suburban communities. There is a large "city like" area right near the Orange County airport but Irvine has a ton of great restaurants (especially Asian of all kinds) and has hiking trails, parks, shopping, dining, etc. It's a beautiful city. I love living here. If you need hotel recommendations, PM me.

Irvine will also put you right at the entrance to the highway you take that goes straight to Laguna Beach. It ends at the Pacific Coast highway and you can turn right and enjoy a very scenic drive up about 15 min to Newport Beach. NB is also directly accessible from Jamboree Road.

Staying near the beach is tough. There are actually not many hotels that are even semi reasonable close to the beach.

Newport Beach has no hotels near the water, Dana Point has several of all price ranges. High end is the ritz carlton, middle is the Best Western, middle would be the Marriott. All walking distance to the water. For a really good beach, I like san clemente. or if you want to go somewere very isolated go to San Onofre. Dana Point has real good dolphin and whale watching, Laguna has art and shopping

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter