Orange Muffins - Yummy!

piratesmate

<font color=red>Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue t
I found a recipe for Orange Muffins that sounded great, but failed to note the source. :( I thought I'd gotten it here, but couldn't find it via "search". So if this is your recipe, I apologize, but it's too good not to share!! :D :D

ORANGE MUFFINS

1 orange
1/3 c fresh orange juice
1 egg
1/4 c unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 c flour
3/4 c sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 c raisins (If using craisins, soak first!!!)

Grate rind from orange. Remove skin and pith and any large white pieces from orange. Cut orange into 6-8 sections, remove seeds. In blender, blend rind, orange, juice, butter & egg until soupy with butter in little bits. Toss in raisins & blend 2 - 3 seconds. Pour into mixing bowl. Sift together flour, sugar, powder, soda & salt. Combine with wet ingredients - combine only, do not mix or beat. Pour into greased muffin tins. (I use cupcake papers instead.) Bake at 400 for 15 - 18 min. Yield: 12

****NOTE: The first time I tried these, I didn't have a fresh orange. I used 1 1/2 tsp orange rind & an additional 1/3 cup orange juice instead. They turned out fine.

The second time I tried them I did have the fresh orange and I noticed that the amount of butter was probably too much (at least for us!) You could see the grease on the cupcake papers. So today, I cut back to 1/8 cup & then used a really light olive besides. They turned out fine & taste the same, but more muffin stuck to the papers than I like. We just scraped it off with a fork, but I don't think I'll cut back again if I'm using the oil.

One last adjustment . . . in many recipes the amount of sugar given can be cut in half without being able to taste the difference or affecting the texture. This morning I cut the sugar back to a scant half cup. I wouldn't go any lower than that.

I hope you like these as much as we do! :D :D :D

Deb

Deb, my Dad loves Orange and chocolate, would these be good with maybe a dark chocolate drizzle over the top, or some other way to add just a bit of chocolate? Maybe a bit of cocoa in the mix? Just wondering...these do sound really good!
:):):)

Oh, Robin - now you've gotten me started! ;) My all time favorite candy - and maybe food in general - is chocolate covered orange peel!! Dark chocolate! Mmmmmmm

I hadn't thought about putting chocolate in it before. What if you replaced the raisins with mini chocolate chips? I'll bet that would be good. (I never use the raisins, though - always craisins or plain.

I've never made muffins that had chocolate drizzled over the top, so it's kind of hard to judge that one . . . . but I don't think they were sweet enough for that. Maybe if you used the full amount of sugar??

Let me know if you try this. DS really doesn't like cranberry, so I fill 1/4 of the tins with the batter before adding the craisins for him. He loved chocolate, though - so maybe that's an idea for him.

I have to make these again in the AM, now. ;)

I love craisins!!! :) they are a staple around here...that I have to try! I'll try these in the next few days...and see how they do. I have to find some good chocolate too. It seems like I'm just completely in the mood for baking and soups lately...I wish I had an extra freezer...the neighbors and the teachers at school are beginning to think I have adopted them!:rolleyes: :)

Thanks for the input...I'm wondering if I have to up the sugar though because the chocolate will be sweet...what do you think? I wasn't going to make them with raisins anyway, I'm not a big raisin fan. By the way, have you tried the cherry craisins? I heard they are really good...it's just a flavor, not a cherry from what I understand...so you get like a cran cherry...what do you think about that with this?

I'm a huge muffin fan...soooo good in the winter on an early morning!! :):)

Thank you!!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter