Ordering off kids menu for pre-teens at TS restaurants - any issues?

Joy70

Mouseketeer
I have 2 DD's - age 10 and 13. In the past we've always gotten the dining plan and while we might not have saved money, we usually broke even. (Plus DH liked the convenience of having everything pre-paid.) Now that both DD's are considered adults on the dining plan I do not see how we could even get close to break even and are thinking of just paying OOP. I realize for any buffet meals we will be charged the adult pricing, but we don't do many of those anyway. For those of you who have children in this age range and don't use the dining plan, have you ever had any difficulties with ordering off the children's menu at TS restaurants? If you were able to, were you usually charged the regular kids pricing, or was there an upcharge since they are technically "adults"?

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

It varies. I've heard some places will allow you to eat off the kids menu if you're an adult and others will not. Of course there's no issues at the CS restaurants with ordering off the kids menu. I have done so for myself numerous times.

Based on my family's experience, they can order the kid's meal. Only upcharge should be if a larger portion is requested (and available). (As you pointed out, not at AYCTE restaurants.)

My daughter who is small for her age but just turned 14 continues to order off the children's menu at Disney TS restaurants. She especially likes the kid's selections at Brown Derby. We always pay oop and we have never had any problem, question or upcharge. I think your children will be fine to order off the kid's menu at TS restaurants.

This is great information. My DD10's hunger can vary wildly from meal to meal, and sometimes she just isn't in the mood for a large plate. We're paying OOP, also, for our upcoming trip.

As an adult i've ordered kids meals at restaurants and have never had an issue. Ditto for my DS when he was 11-13 years old. Neither of us had problems. You should be fine. :)

Question for those that have ordered from the kids menu. My DD11 was not given a kids menu during our last trip when she was 10. So, do you ask for the kids menu? Do you ask at the podium (sine they are the one that bring the menus) or do you ask the wait staff?

Often my kids have been brought kids menus well over the age of 10 and had to ask for an adult menu. That being said, sometimes they don't have a huge appetite and would prefer a smaller portion or the simpler food of the kids menu. We've never had a problem while paying OOP. BTW, Citricos has the best kids menu, in their opinion.

If you are paying OOP, they will let anyone order off the kids menus, with the obvious exceptions of prix fixe buffets and family style dining locations.

DD15 and I both order off the kids menu and we've never had a problem. I will notice some servers get a snotty attitude when I do it, but I'm not going to order more way food than I can eat. And when I do order a kids meal, I always order a dessert off the main menu - that's the main reason I order off the kids menu, so I have room for dessert!

Question for those that have ordered from the kids menu. My DD11 was not given a kids menu during our last trip when she was 10. So, do you ask for the kids menu? Do you ask at the podium (sine they are the one that bring the menus) or do you ask the wait staff?

I will request one from the seating host if I notice they don't have one when we arrive at the podium.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter