Organizing 101/Jan- Family Room

BernardandMissBianca

Rum makes math fun!
Ok I found my paper. This is from a magazine I bought several years ago. This was written by Franny van Nevel in Woman's Day 1/2/01

PRIZE! If you complete said assignment by the end of the month rlovew is willing to cut out a title for the World Showcase for you!

Goal: Find the remote! or in my house the remoteSSSSS

Declutter:
- Recycle old magazines, flyers, mail order catalogs. Sort the rest.
- Cull piles of photos- separate the good, the bad, and the ugly. Toss the bad.:eek: :faint: share duplicates with friends and family. Set aside the rest for now.
- Go through CD's, videos, books. Create piles for keepers, loaner-returners, donation or resale.
- Paw through the stacks of games and toys; collect missing pieces and put them in appropriate boxes. Create stacks to donate, to toss, to store elsewhere and to keep in the family room. Donate what you can't use. like our 1000 different Monopoly games
- Start inventory list of model and serial numbers for your TV, stereo, VCR, DVD player, etc., for your homeowners insurance.

Clean:
-Vacuum and clean floor, walls, bookshelves, entertainment centers, windowsills, mini blinds, and ceiling fans.
- Dry clean or launder drapes, throws, and area rugs. If possible, switch sides when rehanging drapes to minimize sun damage.
-Spot clean sofas; vacuum cushions and sofa base; flip and rotate cushions. Dig down the sides for lost coins Hey for those saving for big trips this is good and writing instruments and don't forget food -blech

Maintain:
-Choose a drawer or find a basket to hold remotes. Or attach infrequently used remotes to components with Velcro.
-Buy acid free photo boxes or albums for pictures. Spend 1/2 an hour a week arranging albums. Obviously written before the scrapbook obsession took hold LOL
- Designate a basket or box to hold on-load tapes, books, videos. Write return dates on the calendar.
-Initiate weekly 5 minute cleanups with family members( :rotfl2: ) to keep things moving toward their designated spaces.
-Once organized take a photo or videotape of the room to keep with your home inventory list.

OK everyone needs to post their progress!!!

I printed it so I can refer...

Oh and :rotfl2: to the weekly 5 min cleanups with family members...that for real? If I wait a week, it will take longer than 5 min to get that room back together! My conclusion is that she actually lives alone....

Okay, I'll try some of this tomorrow.. My family room is fairly clean..but only because DH decided to clean today so because he was "bored"... no football on at that point! As for magazines.. we don't have many.. I have 4 scrapbook ones and they are in my scraproom...
As for 5 min. family member help.. Well, we can hope for miracles!!!

I am in. :thumbsup2 I probably will start next Monday when the kdis start back to school.
Talya and I are spending this afternoon scrapping. I am about to journal on the pages I just did and she is on her second layout!:cool1:

I'm hoping to journal today too. i will start cleaning tomorrow after the kids go to school.
I want rlovew's prize!

I am so in for this.
Our family room is where we hang out, watch TV, etc. So we have tons of pillows, blankets, movies and books all over.
I promise to find a home that these things will go back everyday. I promise to move the couch to vacuum, mmm, tomorrow. I promise to wash the curtains. Okay they are really shower curtains 'cause we were broke when we finished building this house. But they are a nice linen look and washing them means, yup, ironing them.
Is that worth an England topper?

I think I will try to start sorting through our videos when DH leaves for Kentucky Wednesday. This will be one of the easier rooms for me as we don't have a living room and i like to keep this one clean for our guests but I guess i need to start by getting the Christmas gifts still in there but away.

I can put my living/family room back together after the tree comes down. We have to rearrange furniture to get the tree in so it's kind of cramped. I have already started to straighten the table up though.

I am in. Its one of my goals to get more organized. Well the problem isnt getting organized its staying organized.

I'm in. I'm hoping to just get some actual cleaning done tomorrow. . .our family/living room will be one of the easier ones to do. It's just DH & I, so once he puts away the Christmas boxes, it shouldn't take long.

Now, the scrap room, that's another story. If I could actually see the floor when I walked in there, I'd consider it a success!!

My family room is in pretty good shape. I do have a fairly new oak media cabinet that still does not have the shelves installed and can't be used until it's fully assembled. So, getting that functional will be helpful in getting the DVD's and CD's out of another room. I'm so good at getting organizational furniture and tools and not assembling them or actually putting things in them!

Since the dining room flows off of the family room ( at a right angle) and is full of scrap stuff, that's still my major goal to get sorted, organized, and out of there.......so, I'm including that in my family room organization this month.

I decided to take a look at our family room and convinced DH to help me weed through our DVD and CD collection- we did that and it looks messier for now with piles to take to different people- but I will deliver those by Sunday. I only have to declutter 1 bookcase and I will be done with step 1- once everything has made it to new homes. Then it will be off to the cleaning section.

I've got about 1/2 the table cleared off and most of the new DVD's rounded up to be absorbed into the old stuff. DD keeps waking up form her nap though. One good thing is I have DH out running an errand to get him out of my hair for a few minutes.

Well, my DVD's and Video tapes are in order.. I'm so anal they are alphabetical order for the Disney Videos! The DVD's aren't.. I need to find a cabinet for the CD's.. they are neatly stacked though.. The top of the entertainment center is cleared and dusted...
Now, the floor has upteen years of Christmas pictures that need put into their photo box and transported to the scraproom..but right now I'm scrapping 1995 Christmas! LOL Yes, I'm starting my Christmas albums! Yeah!

I will join this challenge! A one month time frame seems to be something I can manage.

I think now is the time to finally go through my CDs and copy the ones that I never listen to all the way through into iTunes and set them free. The list of albums I actually listen to is about 20. The number of CDs I have on my shelf? In the hundreds. I almost exclusively listen to music through my computer anyway - it just makes sense.

I too am printing out the list in post one and I won't let the month end without finishing it!

Count me in! My house is in terrible need of some major cleaning out and reorganization. My hope is that I'll have a lot done before my Disney trip on the 9th. :)

Hey sunshine, where have you been hiding today??? ;)

LOL! Getting ready for back to school tomorrow!! And trying to avoid all of these threads that are trying to get me to do something. Clean?:scared1: Scrap? Lose weight? :laughing: Organize? Can't I just sit around and eat bon-bons?? :surfweb: Calgon, take me awaaaayyyyyyyy!! :rotfl2: :rotfl2:
:rotfl: :rotfl:

ETA: I need to join all those threads, btw... clean, scrap, lose weight, organize....I'm just not motivated (yet). One thread at a time. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!