Orlando Sanford

MickeyMouse3!

MickeyMouse3!
We recently started using Orlando-Sanford airport (SFB) for our WDW vacations. It's smaller, yet so much nicer and easier than going through MCO. However, our last vacation, we reserved a ride via LYFT, but both coming and going, they cancelled our reservation at the last minute stating, "We've noted the error". We got lucky with a last minute UBER transport, both coming and going, but we would like to know we have reliable transportation for future WDW vacations while using this airport. Any suggestions for transportation between SFB and Disneyworld, other than renting a car? We typically use WDW transportation once we get there. Thanks everyone!

Probably the most reliable is a car service, there are a lot recommended here (Tiffany Town Car, Gear Fusion, even Mears has private car service), you would have to call to see if they also go to Sanford. I've looked into that airport, but decided not to use it, for some of the reasons you mention. Might save on airfare, but then transportation options are fewer and more expensive. I was also concerned that if a flight was cancelled, since there are a lot fewer flights going in and out of that airport, it would be difficult to rebook. And I-4 traffic!

We fly in and out of SFB about 12-14 times a year. Never had an issue other then getting delayed every so often which is no fault of the airline but weather and traffic, welcome to Florida but we live here.
We live south west of Orlando and for us, SFB is an extra 20 minutes down the road from the Orlando circus commonly known as MCO. Sure it’s a longer drive but I end up driving around MCO for a half hour looking for a place to park. Then the two mile walk to security through a million tourist, monorail rides and I just want to fly home. SFB from the time we park which I never had to look for a parking spot, ten minutes later I’m sitting at the gate. Either way I’m on I4 the same amount of time going to either airport, if we even take I4 but either way you are coming to central Florida, a lot of people, buses and a lot of people who are not familiar with the area.
SFB is a lot easier for us but this is our home airport so our transportation is already here.
Car service is your best bet. Not sure what the going rate is now. A lot of people rent cars but most of them visit other parts of Florida.

We have used Tiffany Towncar between Sanford and Disney hotels. But that was awhile ago (pre-COVID). If you check the different companies' websites, you should be able to see whether or not they go to Sanford.

Lots of other threads about Sandford airport. I think including the 'Orlando' part in their name is an attempt to confuse those not actually familiar with where things are in Florida. Sanford is MUCH further from Disney then MCO. Many have reported using Sanford to save a few dollars on airfare only to find that the added cost/time for ground transportation is more then the supposed airline savings. Make sure to investigate your options before booking a flight into Sandford to avoid surprises.

Last edited:

IMG_2994.jpeg
When we first moved here, I couldn’t find a flight into Pa. I was on OEA all the time. lol. I even booked a flight out of OEA by mistake. lol.
Don’t matter where I fly now, I always double check the three letters before I do anything. Never confused airports again. lol.
I’ve already loaded the wrong airport into my gps. Lol
The way we drive in, I count airports, OEA is first, MCO is second and SFB is third. The signage on Rt417 can be confusing approaching OEA and MCO.
MCO is more confusing than anything. How many people know why it’s called MCO? Newark airport is just as bad.
Speaking of which, I’m off to Sanford airport tomorrow!!

MCO is more confusing than anything. How many people know why it’s called MCO? Newark airport is just as bad.
I do, but I'm also a huge military aviation nerd. It was originally McCoy Army Airfield.
I don't see a problem with Sanford calling itself an Orlando airport, I do take a little offense to Melbourne calling itself Melbourne-Orlando International Airport officially. I travel for work a couple times a year to the Melbourne airport and the hotel I stay at is next to MLB, I still fly into MCO and drive the rest of the way.

Last edited:
Does Orlando Executive Airport even have any regularly scheduled commercial flights? Many cities have smaller airports primarily used by private pilots.

If you rent a car with unlimited mileage and don't mind a longer drive to/from WDW and want an ultra-easy entrance into/exit the airport/terminal, I'd look at GNV.

GNV was practically my second home during my career when flying across the U.S.

It had 3 gates (now 5 or 6) in one room. Parking was similar, but smaller than SFB and is directly across the terminals. There was a single security checkpoint. I always ended up in ATL or CLT as connectors, but the ease of each trip was so welcoming compared to MCO/JAX/TPA.

I do, but I'm also a huge military aviation nerd. It was originally McCoy Army Airfield.
I don't see a problem with Sanford calling itself an Orlando airport, I do take a little offense to Melbourne calling itself Melbourne-Orlando International Airport officially. I travel for work a couple times a year to the Melbourne airport and the hotel I stay at is next to MEL, I still fly into MCO and drive the rest of the way.
Agreed.
Most of us here knows what MCO stands for and the history but if Orlando International and Sanford/Orlando is confusing to someone, they would have no idea. I can see showing up at the wrong airport, they both are international and the highway signage can be confusing if you have no idea but there was a story I believe on here, people getting on the wrong plane?
Orlando is a huge city sitting in one of the biggest tourist destinations in world. I just can’t see how one airport/ business can only use the name Orlando in their name.

If you rent a car with unlimited mileage and don't mind a longer drive to/from WDW and want an ultra-easy entrance into/exit the airport/terminal, I'd look at GNV.

GNV was practically my second home during my career when flying across the U.S.

It had 3 gates (now 5 or 6) in one room. Parking was similar, but smaller than SFB and is directly across the terminals. There was a single security checkpoint. I always ended up in ATL or CLT as connectors, but the ease of each trip was so welcoming compared to MCO/JAX/TPA.
What's the average price difference between the two? That is why I always book into MCO rather than MLB.
Delta flies it from ATL but it's usually at least 60% more expensive than flying into MCO and limited destinations.

What's the average price difference between the two? That is why I always book into MCO rather than MLB.
Delta flies it from ATL but it's usually at least 60% more expensive than flying into MCO and limited destinations.
Back when I traveled frequently, GNV flights were more costly (and I still expect the same today). But, I valued ease of travel. 2 baggage carousels, arrive 25 minutes before my flight(s) and off airport property in about 10 minutes. That's the value proposition that GNV provided to me.

When I had to take flights in/out of MCO due to the destination, the drive/parking was more tedious and added stress to my travels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter