• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Orlando Sentinel Story: Disney turns on '100 years' blitz

Just to aid in this discussion, I'll add this list for review:

WDW E-Tickets:

Jungle Cruise
Pirate of the Carribbean
Haunted Mansion
It's a Small World
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Space Mountain
Country Bear Jamboree
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

Hall of Presidents was initially an E, later changed to a free attraction.

In that case, IMO, ITTBAB is for sure an Eticket attraction...
:cool: :cool: (mia):cool: :cool:

That's funny. I was just about to post that:

In that case, IMO, ITTBAB is for sure a "D" ticket attraction...

;)

What were the "D" tickets at WDW? I know at Disneyland, Rocket to the Moon was a "D" and the Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland was a "D."

I would definetely put the 3-D movies in the "D" category

Cut and Paste from "My Great Big WDW Excel File of Everything"

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom
Ticket System

Free Attractions
If You had Wings (Became Dreamflight then Take Flight) (Later, Replaced by Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin)
Hall of Presidents (initially an E ticket)
Carousel of Progress
CircleVision 360 (Replaced by the Timekeeper)
The Walt Disney Story (Closed)

A-Ticket
Main Street Cinema
All Main Street Transportation
Cinderella's Golden Carousel

B-Ticket
Swiss Family Tree House
Frontierland Shootin' Gallery
Mike Fink Keelboats
Dumbo
Mad Tea Party

C-Ticket
Walt Disney World Railroad
Peter Pan's Flight
Snow White's Adventures
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (Replaced by the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh)
Grand Prix Raceway (Renamed Tommorowland Indy Speedway)

D-Ticket
The Enchanted Tiki Birds [Tropical Seranade] (New show, renamed The Enchanted Tiki Birds, Under New Management)
Tom Sawyer Island
Liberty Square Riverboat
Skyway (Closed)
Mickey Mouse Revue (Replaced by Legend of the Lion King)
Star Jets (Rethemed and renamed Astro Orbiter)
WEDway People Mover (Renamed Tommorowland Transit Authority)
Flight to the Moon (Became Mission to Mars) (Later, Replaced by Alien Encounter)

E-Ticket
Jungle Cruise
Pirate of the Carribbean
Haunted Mansion
It's a Small World
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Closed)
Space Mountain
Country Bear Jamboree
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

...even taking a Car #3 perspective...we have a new D and a new E in the same year (and who knows what else the 2003 holds)
Well. I have purposely not participated in threads concerning Space because I really don't know what to believe. I've heard everything from a "C" type ultra spinner to a true EPCOT style "F" ticket!! I think that's one of the major differences in car philosophies. We tend to 'give' and 'take away' the benefit of the doubt according to our personal perspective. You already have it chalked up as a grade "A", Number One, "E" Ticket. They will have to prove it to me. On the other side of the coin (just to be equal) I tend to think, when I here about a Dinorama, that Disney has gone cheap once again. Until they prove me wrong. Lately, they haven't proven me wrong very often, but we will see. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised by Space! And I further hope that after seeing Philarmagic, I can upgrade a "D" for an "E"!

It doesn't seem as though the sponsors are breaking down the door. So if a concept or an existing pavilion goes begging, what should Disney do? Let it go to seed? Never add anything?

AV- I agree with you based on my interpretation of your rhetorical questions. If sponsers can't be found, then Disney will have to pony up more on their own. But the question is, is the dearth of sponsers a cyclical thing or a permanent issue? I tend to think its at least somewhat cyclical, so I wouldn't want Disney to "panic" because it took them 6 months or a year longer than they had planned to find a sponser.

A lot is going to depend on the economy. As it improves, advertising spending will increase, and I suspect finding a sponsor for a major new attraction every year or two won't be as difficult.

For what its worth, I'd put ITTBAB in the E category, but I can't see it staying there for more than 2-3 more years. There's too many others like it. Just like I suspect the Tiki Birds and/or CBJ would have had to have been re-classified by now. Its not that I don't like them personally, but I think they have lost some of their WOW value with many guests.

For what its worth, I'd put ITTBAB in the E category, but I can't see it staying there for more than 2-3 more years. There's too many others like it.
I think that's part of the problem I have with the whole 3-D movie concept. When I first saw Muppets I loved it!!! Same with Honey and Bugs. With their interaction with the guests, it really WOWed me. They were fun. No, they were FUN! But…

And I think if they make the new one 'more-of-the-same', I'll be a little disappointed. That isn't to say that I won't like it. Or that I won't have fun. It's just a "D" ticket instead of an "E".

The original list leaves plenty of room for interpretation. I sure wouldn’t have put the Skyway and Star Jets above Peter Pan, Snow White etc. COP is obviously above an A.

It is clear Big Budget and Groundbreaking quickly come to mind. ITTAB doesn’t qualify, and on the surface neither would Philarmagic.

However, I remember Marty Sklar going so far as to say that Philarmagic would rate in the Top 5, for fun, of any Disney attraction. If tickets were being used today you would think the most popular attractions would command the highest ratings, regardless of investment. Does popularity figure into the equation at all?

Larworth suggests "plenty of room for interpretation" and I suggest larworth is a smart man! Certainly time changes all and again we argue the subjective...But PLEASE...Do you guys (generic term) really think ITTBAB doesn't capture the same thrill or wow that CBJ, 20,000 Leagues or even JC did? (Remember, I love JC, but ITTBAB is so awesome. Even seeing it as often as I do I relish being seated next to people who are seeing it for the first time. The laughter, sense of surprise & joy to such extremes could never have been generated by the aforementioned attractions, IMO).

Even seeing it as often as I do I relish being seated next to people who are seeing it for the first time.
Yes!! So do I!! But without that 'first-timer' thrill, it's only a "D"!! Still fun, but no "E"!

Someone can't find magic at AKL??? I must of missed that blasphemy...Ouch, oh, oooo, I twisted my back...I have fallen and I can't get up!... Well, the keyboard is here on the floor with me sooo...I'll continue.

But seriously, has it been said the AKL is not magic? Oh, I pitty the po fool who say dat! Yeow, my knee just tripped out...Oh the humanity! ba-da-bing...

The AKL is the coolest...Oh man, please Scoop don't tell me who said that I could never look them in the monitor again...Ahhhh my neck, my neck...Oh, I gotta go...

Someone can't find magic at AKL???
Well, I always give Scoop the benefit of the doubt. He easily falls into hyperbole. I don't think I ever remember reading a post on these boards that says AK hold no magic at all!! Or that someone couldn't find any magic. My take is AK contains wonderful magic!! Beautiful theming!! And a GREAT tree!! Really a WOW!! place!!

But Considering it's Disney, compared to the other parks and at fifty buck a copy, there ain't nearly enough of it!!!

Now do you get it? ;)

Doh........................................................................................

And I think if they make the new one (Philarmagic) 'more-of-the-same', I'll be a little disappointed. That isn't to say that I won't like it. Or that I won't have fun. It's just a "D" ticket instead of an "E".

I feel the same way, except that I still rate ITTBAB, Muppets and HISTA as E's, but I see them soon going to D level. But that's probably only because I haven't seen them as many times as you have.

The level of tickets way back in the Evil Dark Walt Days was meant to reflect the cost of attraction. They were the way Disney recouped the cost of the show. Sometimes the ticket was tweaked to encourage people to go to one ride or another. An “E-ticket” was a big, expensive, all out attraction. The tickets didn’t reflect how much you were supposed to like the show. The original ‘Carousel of Progress’, a huge and very popular attraction out here at Disneyland, was even free because it was sponsored by General Electric.

As for ‘PhilaMagic’, it’s hardly a no-expenses sparred, brand new, exciting attraction. Frankly, whether Mickey is in it or not, I have a limit to the number of times I want to wear silly glasses, have air sprayed into my face and be sprinkled with water in one vacation. The gimmicks wear thin very fast.

The best solution would have been to either replace or rotate ‘Honey, The Audience Is Bored’ with ‘PhilaMagic’. Have a 3-D Theater with different shows.

The best solution would have been to either replace or rotate ‘Honey, The Audience Is Bored’ with ‘PhilaMagic’. Have a 3-D Theater with different shows.

I'm not sure what the "pre-show" plan is for Phil, but wouldn't combining them require a generic pre-show? Or at least two separate queueing areas... It's been awhild since I saw Honey, but I know Bug and Muppets have pretty elaborate lobbies, and they are intended to make you feel like you are in the show before you ever go in the theater. I wouldn't want to lose that, cause I think its a big part of the show...

Again i would agree with Av that a e-ticket meant part "great ride/attraction" and part trying to take as much money as possible. Bit i dont think a e-ticket ride/attraction is one that has a limited shelf like like some think HISTA has. Now compare what i believe a true e-ticket is like POC/TOT and they will stand the test of time unlike a 3d show which is more gimmicky but well waer out its welcome alot sooner. I would be alot more impressed if they tried a live action 3d show like T23D based on a movie like armaggedon as a example. Disneys kids shows are OK but i would much perfer one with more of a adult type theme.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter