OT - comfort accessories

cal2net

Earning My Ears
Sorry for the off topic topic but we are heading to our first ABD and have never flown internationally. Looking for best pillow, blanket,ear plug combos for our flight from Texas to London. Any suggestions? Had a couple chosen and didn't jot the information down and internet history was erased...so back to square one.
Thank you.

I never get on a plane without my cheap foam earplugs from wal-mart, my pashmina, zip up sweater hoodie, warm socks, chapstick, small tube of hand lotion, lubricating eye drops, and usually my eye cover thingy for blocking light. I have yet to find a pillow or neck pillow that works. The best for me is actually when the airline seats have the head rest where each side folds out to make a U-shape. The pashmina is great because it is very light weight, rolls up very small, but is so warm.

I use noise cancelling earbuds, and that seems to do the trick. I change into yoga pants on board. Some styles look dressy even though they are basically like the most comfy pjs. If I can, I switch back to regular pants before getting off the plane.

I only bring an iPad, a kindle, my yoga pants, fuzzy socks, I small outfit and a change of underwear and regular socks in case of a luggage fiasco. They all go in my medium size backpack that has a separate tech pouch that separates and fits in the seatback. I try not to bring much on the plane so I do not have to kick a huge bag under my seat.

I see lots of people bringing pillows, blankets etc. i just do not want to lug that stuff around. If you are bringing a hoodie, that works for me as a pillow!

Noise canceling headphones are my number one must have item. I used to have the big over-ear ones but have found the Bose in-ear kind work just as well and are much easier to pack.

Also, compression socks. DVT is real.

Noise canceling headphones are my number one must have item. I used to have the big over-ear ones but have found the Bose in-ear kind work just as well and are much easier to pack.

Also, compression socks. DVT is real.
I totally agree with this. However, I've found the noise-cancelling in-ear buds cause too much pressure in my ears, and I can't use them. :(

Sayhello

I've tried various travel pillows but none have ever worked well until I found the Trtl travel pillow I know it looks silly and uncomfortable but believe me, your neck will thank you. It prevents your head from rolling all over the place and it helps keep you warm by keeping the cool air of the plane off your neck and chest.

My favorite travel pillow (and I have bought many) is one that zips from a little rectangle to an around the neck pillow - it is by Samsonite and I got it at Kohls. If you are travelling light, it is not a great option - but we don't travel light when we do ABD!
I always take a sweater and socks.
My favorite travel item of all is a lightweight travel blanket I got from TravelSmith - CoolMax - I use it a lot when we go to Europe in the summer as a lot of hotels don't have a top sheet, only a quilt.
I also recommend taking some kind of eyeshade/eyemask. I don't do earplugs because I don't like how they feel......
Other elements in my long flight/jet lag toolbox are melatonin and essential oils.
Have a wonderful adventure!

I have tried every travel pillow, except for the Trtl Pillow mentioned above which I now have to investigate. Otherwise, nothing I've tried works for me pillow wise.

I also agree with White Rose up there that I hate to lug stuff around. I try to pack light when possible, because I consider it a hassle to lug stuff about.

The plane could be cold. Bring a jacket. If you're not cold, then it doubles as a roll pillow of sorts.

I also recommend the eye drops. Even if you're not prone to dry eye, the air on the plane can make them feel extra dry and gritty by the time you land.

Lip balm and maybe a tiny hand moisturizer are also good for those purposes.

I can't wear ear plugs or a sleeping mask and actually sleep, but I do like listening to music so I bring along my ancient iPod and it's earphones. That usually gives me at least 45 minutes of sleep. Then I wake. Then I fall back to sleep. Repeat.

You may be one of those lucky people who just drops right off! Enjoy your flight and your holiday!!!

Never sleep on a plane so I bring Bose noise cancelling headphones. I agree with bringing a soft jacket that could be balled up and used to prop different body parts if uncomfortable. Drink plenty of water and get up and walk to the back of the plane and stretch every couple of hours. Blood clots are a "real thing" for travelers scrunched up in the small plane seats. Use hand sanitizer when possible and I always pass on the ice in drinks on board. You never know where the plane refilled the bin with ice ( substandard international airports and hygiene) and when or if the ice bin has been cleaned for a while. Don't want to be sick for the trip.

As an International Traveler From Europe for over 18 years

It is a waste of time to buy / lug around one of these Neck Pillows.

Why ....... Most airlines supply Pillows

They also supply warm blankets.

Most airlines ( European ones ) supply Free Earphones ( Throw away type ) either 1 plug Jack or 2 plug Jack

Yes it is a good idea to wear elastic medi stockings .

Yes people are advised to walk around ..... BUT NOT many do so..... Check this out on your next flight.

Best advise to pass 9 hrs Plus ( A working day ) is to relax , watch a movie , listen to music.

And await the ....... Airline Dinner Food .

Forgot to add - I also bring Clorox wipes and clean all the surfaces in my seat area. I haven't gotten sick on trips since I started doing this.

I have tried every travel pillow, except for the Trtl Pillow mentioned above which I now have to investigate. Otherwise, nothing I've tried works for me pillow wise.

I bought a "Releaf". Not looking forward to trying it out.

http://www.calderaintl.com/store/ReLeaf-Neck-Rest-large.html

Forgot to add - I also bring Clorox wipes and clean all the surfaces in my seat area. I haven't gotten sick on trips since I started doing this.

I get funny looks when I do this but I don't care!

I agree with most of what everyone has posted. Every international flight I've taken has supplied eyeshades, ear plugs, pillows, and blankets, so I wouldn't worry about bringing those. It is very important to hydrate with water and walk as much as you can (like every hour or so while you're awake). Avoid alcohol, even if it's free. The only travel pillow I've found that works for me is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Travelrest-E...&qid=1498048568&sr=8-9&keywords=travel+pillow

It's a little goofy looking (no pun intended), but it sort of cradles you and deflates to a very small size. Aside from that, the best sleep I've had has been in First Class, but I don't usually pay for that upgrade. Talk with your doctor about options for sleep medications as well, if you think you'll have trouble sleeping. They can be useful, if properly chosen and used. You want something that has a fast onset and short duration of action, so you don't arrive too groggy.

Have fun!

I find that I sleep best on long flights by putting the airline pillow on the tray table and leaning forward. Also, I wear layers so that I have the option to remove clothing if it is too hot. A tough lesson learned after a sauna like flight where I was dressed in long sleeves only.

Airlines tend to only have ear buds, so i do bring my own headphones. Can't have things stuck in my ears. My strategy is to choose something cheap in case they get left behind in the scramble to disembark.

I echo bringing a pashima-it functions as both a cover and blanket although for long haul/international flights a blanket and pillow are provided. I also travel with warm fuzzy socks- I wear flip flops and take those off on the plane and then the socks keep my feet warm. I also wear layers because you just can't depend on the temperature in a plane. Eye care-hand towel, contact case, solution, glasses, case (I pop out contacts right before the international flight). I also pack a fresh change of clothes and pajamas-change into pajamas after dinner is served and then into fresh clothes right after breakfast.

Apparently I pack a lot of clothes :)

While airlines frequently supply blankets, the beauty of the pashmina is it is light weight enough to put over your head to block light, can work as a second blanket on really cold flights, and you can even just wear it as a scarf to keep you warm on the plane or afterwards, or a hood once you're on your trip instead of a hat. I put mine thru it's paces!

I agree with most of what everyone has posted. Every international flight I've taken has supplied eyeshades, ear plugs, pillows, and blankets, so I wouldn't worry about bringing those. It is very important to hydrate with water and walk as much as you can (like every hour or so while you're awake). Avoid alcohol, even if it's free. The only travel pillow I've found that works for me is this one:

I totally agree on the stay hydrated part. Drink water. If you do decide you need an alcoholic beverage to fall asleep, make sure you drink twice as much water before/after. You'd be surprised how quickly you can feel dehydrated on a long haul flight like that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter