OT - For those who have an independent cleaning person

Gigi22

DIS Veteran
What do you do when you are on an extended vacation that results in missing your cleaning days? Owing to my home insurance requirements during our absences, the water has to be off, so the cleaner can’t come in to work. My independent cleaning lady wants me to pay her, at least in part, for these days. According to her, this is standard.

Standard where? Not in my experience lol. she was paid for the days she worked/cleaned not for ...doing nothing. Unless you signed a contract with her with specific days/hours worked?
Which was not our case.
That being said.. if she’s ur long term cleaner, your’re satisfied and trust her .. which is paramount in my book, perhaps it’s worth it to work something out? You don’t want to lose her and perhaps if this is the first time it’s hapoenned, she has no way to fill in the weeks ( with another acct) for losing your place. Did you give her any heads up?
I am always cautious with anyone in my home ( and no longer use a service since we downsized) but I’d also not tell anyone ur home will be empty for X number of weeks ... I always make it sound like friend/family will be utilizing on/off but service is not needed and leave it like that. Good luck, hope it works out for you.

What do you do when you are on an extended vacation that results in missing your cleaning days? Owing to my home insurance requirements during our absences, the water has to be off, so the cleaner can’t come in to work. My independent cleaning lady wants me to pay her, at least in part, for these days. According to her, this is standard.
Would you trust her to turn the water on/ shut it off again? Or could she come in and clean something that doesn't require the use of water? Like vacuuming, dusting, etc....If she wants to be paid, I'd want some work done. Plus, it acts as a good home check for insurance purposes.

It depends on whether you will ask her to come in and check the house for you while you're gone, take in the mail, etc. I know with insurance you need to be able to prove the house has been checked for leaks, break and enter, fire, etc. on a regular basis (we look after our snowbird neighbours).

Or is this to "keep your spot" so you have the same service when you return?

Who's checking your house when you're away. If it's a neighbour or family member perhaps you can gift them the cleaning days while you're away. Even if they already have someone your cleaner could come in and do some early spring cleaning for them.

A good cleaning person that you're happy with is hard to find do what you can to keep them happy.

Unless she's working for a company who you contract, you might be deemed to have an employer/employee relationship with her. If you are, then you might actually have to pay her for those days; the nature of the relationship would be covered under federal tax laws and employment laws in your province would have information on whether you are required to pay her if you are deemed to be in an employment relationship.

Personally, I'd say that, if you trust, her it's not a bad idea to have her come in anyway just so that there's someone there to check that everything is OK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter