• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OT: how to hold DD up to go potty?

triplefigs

<marquee><font color=009933>Triple Chick</marquee>
She has hypotonic CP (low muscle tone) and I have to help hold her up to go potty. Yesterday at the doctors office she and I somehow did not get her "lined up" properly, and she drenched the back of her panties and shorts while I was holding her. We've also missed and accidentally peed on the floor. Not fun trying to clean her up and mop up the floor.

So, how should I be assisting her better? Any tips on how to do it would be appreciated. And, I admit it, I am a germaphobe, so any ways to keep her from touching the seat~ especially when there are no seat covers?

Thanks!

At Babies R Us is a folding potty that folds into forths. It sits on top of the toilet. Thus no holding or ickys seat to touch the child. Its small enough to fin in a larger purse too. Its nothing more than a seat with a hole in it but should work for bigger kids as well as toddlers. It only cost about $7.99 too.

Just thought I throw this article into the discussion . Most people think of toilet seats as being filled with germs, but when the seat area is actually tested, it's cleaner than most things we think of as clean. Of course, the inside of the toilet and the underside of the toilet seat are host to more germs, but the top part of toilet seats are not very "germy" at all. The most important thing is to wash hands well after using the bathroom.

We used a similar seat to the one that Barbday62 mentioned when DD was little. Because DD was small, she was afraid of "falling in" and the smaller hole and larger sitting area on that type of seat helped her sit more securely. I also stood in front of her with one of my legs on either side of her. That way, she had me for "rails".

Just a warning - the foldab;e seats only hold up to 40 pounds. My DS4 weighs 41 pounds and it starts to fold in the center like it can't bear his weight.

But I don't understand the whole "don't sit on the potty seat" issue. And I don't get the opening and closing doors and flushing with your foot issues either.

Ali

We use the fold up potty seats and/or we use the potty covers. You can buy them in all kinds of themes like sponge bob and stuff at the major baby stores and I think you get like six disposable covers in a pack for 7.00.

Have you tried sitting her on the toilet seat sideways? I actually got this advice from a nice lady in the restroom in Marrakesh when DD (3 at the time) squirted and got the floor and her undies really wet. The split seat seems to cause a lot of squirting trouble for lots of little girls--and the more they sit up, the worse it is. Sitting sideways completely eliminated the squirting problem for us. And as for touching, "don't touch anything," is my mantra in public restrooms. Then, we wash our hands and use my hand sanitizer.

If this works, it's easier than buying a toilet seat. And, to be honest, I wouldn't want to put something that's been on a public toilet in my backpack. Yuck!:crazy2:

PS - We did the sideways sitting until DD was about 6--probably around 46-48". Once her feet could reach the ground easily, the squirting problem resolved itself. I think because with your feet on the ground, it's easier to lean forward, which seems to prevent the squirt. (Probably more detail than you needed :rotfl:, but good luck!)

Sounds good, but I'm a little confused. Do you hold her up, or is she actually touching the seat? Do you use a disposable cover if she's sitting? Thanks for the clarification!

triplefigs said:
Sounds good, but I'm a little confused. Do you hold her up, or is she actually touching the seat? Do you use a disposable cover if she's sitting? Thanks for the clarification!

I'm not sure if you were responding to me, but I'll assume you were and forge ahead.

When she was littler (3, 4, maybe early 5) I did hold her up, because I didn't want her hand touching the split part in the toilet. I didn't actually have to support her weight, just really to let her balance without hands or feet. Plus, sitting sideways, the depth of the seat is much less, so there's much less chance of falling in.

I always use a disposable cover if they're available.

As she got bigger and more dexterous, I just stood ready to steady her before her hand could touch the split if she got wobbly.

I hope that's clear. It really worked like a charm for us. If I'm still not making sense, please reply or pm me and I'll try again.

Good luck!

I don't worry about touching the toilet, so my tips involve sitting on the toilet.

When I was younger, I sat sideways. I have little to no balance and no muscle strength to sit up. I need complete support to sit up. A great way I balance is to have my aid (my parent) kneel in front of me and put their hands under my armpits and hold my arms out a little. This way they are completely supporting my weight and I can have them adjust the angle/lean left/right, etc.

If you really don't want her to touch the toilet-try putting your hands under her thighs so she doesn't touch the toilet. You could carry disposable gloves to keep you clean.

Christamae

P.S. A study was done of different surfaces to test for germs. Some of the things tested included ICU hospital floors, public restroom floors, inside of trash cans, public toilet seats, public telephones, pblic sinks, etc. The surface that grew the most bacteria was public telephones.

If you think about it, it makes since. No one cleans them. Your mouth is right up to it to cough or spread germs...gross huh?

eternaldisneyfan said:
I don't worry about touching the toilet, so my tips involve sitting on the toilet.

When I was younger, I sat sideways. I have little to no balance and no muscle strength to sit up. I need complete support to sit up. A great way I balance is to have my aid (my parent) kneel in front of me and put their hands under my armpits and hold my arms out a little. This way they are completely supporting my weight and I can have them adjust the angle/lean left/right, etc.

If you really don't want her to touch the toilet-try putting your hands under her thighs so she doesn't touch the toilet. You could carry disposable gloves to keep you clean.

Christamae

P.S. A study was done of different surfaces to test for germs. Some of the things tested included ICU hospital floors, public restroom floors, inside of trash cans, public toilet seats, public telephones, pblic sinks, etc. The surface that grew the most bacteria was public telephones.

If you think about it, it makes since. No one cleans them. Your mouth is right up to it to cough or spread germs...gross huh?
There's a link to one of those stories in my first post on this thread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter