other cruises?

daisyx3

DIS Veteran
We took a Celebrity cruise last July and loved it (after 6 DCL). Have two more booked. Now for 2024 trying to figure out whether to stick with Celebrity, or branch out to Princess or NCL.
We will both be 60 this summer and don't need the ropes course, surf rider, etc. But we did cruise in the Celebrity retreat and are looking at NCL haven or suite class on princess.
I am sorry if this is not a board for this, but the choices seem to be RCL or DCL boards. And Cruise Critic is so negative!
Any feedback on NCL or princess?
Edited to add these would be caribbean cruises, I'm not interested in Alaska AT ALL.

No problem posting this question here. It's really RCCL and everybody else.

We are seasoned cruisers mostly on Disney, Royal, Celebrity and Viking, typically in a suite or concierge class. Sorry that we have no recent experience in NCL or Princess though.

A good friend just finished a Princess sailing in one of the upper cabin classes and said that their good reputation remains intact.

Definitely branch out and try all the cruise lines. I think that people are missing out if they don't try everything. We've done a lot of cruising and have figured out what "fits our style" the best, so to speak, but that said, in the past year we've been on DCL, Princess, Virgin Voyages, HAL, Carnival, and RCCL. They all have their pros and cons:

DCL: Our favorite, but definitely can hurt the pocketbook!

Virgin: Virgin may be our "new" favorite. The food is amazing (no MDR, it's all "specialty" and it's all included - also, there is no buffet, it's a made to order food court), all tipping is included in the fare (no adding 18% on to a doing price), free candy, gelato ice cream, the list goes on. It is all adult though, and it's a bit different, so there's that, but we love it. Also, the Duel Reality show is amazing.

RCCL: Actually, probably our least favorite, but then again, we don't use the things that people love about it (we don't zip-line, or rock climb, or ice skate, etc.) and we don't have any status with RCCL, so we don't get any "perks". I am not a fan of the included food options (no poolside grill! why??? I don't want to have to go to the Windjammer for a burger), however, if you spring for the Ultimate Dining Package, I think it would be a lot better. All that said, we enjoyed Oasis more than we did Independence or Serenade. Also, and this is specific to the Oasis, CATS needs to be put out of it's misery... Loved the Aqua80 show though!

Carnival: This may not be a popular opinion here, but we enjoyed the Carnival Mardi Gras way more than we did the Oasis of the Seas. The new Carnival ships (Mardi Gras, Celebration) are amazing. Not sure I'd jump at their other ships, but these two are great. There are a lot more included food options (Shaq's Big Chicken is legit!) and I think their "comfort food" quality is much better. Guy's Burgers and the BBQ place are complimentary on Mardi Gras, for instance where they are an upcharge (Johnny Rocket's/Dockside BBQ) on Oasis. There are also a ton more included food options. We loved that on Mardi Gras the Cucina del Capitano is included. Ate there 3 nights. And if you want the bells and whistles, there's a waterpark, ropes courses, and a roller coaster on the ship...

HAL: Definitely an older crowd, but the food is good and consistent and DW loved all of the live music options that they had all over the ship.

Princess: I will admit, outside of DCL, Princess is our "go-to" line. When I try to explain it to people I always say that Princess is like that old sweater that just fits right. I mean, I am not sure if Princess is "best in class" on any one thing (well, I take that back, they do have, by far, the best Pizza), but they are a pretty consistent 8/10 in most everything that they do. Also, the ships, with one big exception, are all pretty consistent, so you know what you are getting. Food is decent to very good and service, in general, is pretty good. I never feel like I "have" to eat in specialty dining. Now all that said, I will say that there is a big difference in the newer ships (Royal class) versus the older ships (Grand Class) especially in terms of the buffet area. The buffets on the newer ships, in our experience, have been much better in terms of quality and selection (not that the Grand class is bad, it's just not as good as the new ships). Also, the Royal class ships have an Alfredo's, which is an additional included pizza/Italian restaurant off of the piazza, which is consistently excellent. We also like their International Cafe, which is pretty much like what Cafe Promenade would be on RCCL if it were expanded to 3 cases instead of 1 and the food was much better :) The International Cafe is 24/7 and always has something good to eat as well as excellent salted caramel lattes. I also like on Princess that there are self-serve laundromats, no "checking-out" towels, and that room service is still included. In fact, with their medallion (which, admittedly works better on some ships than others), you can order food and drinks to anywhere you are on the ship (We sat on the back of the ship leaving Juneau and had stuff brought to us for 2 hours. It was amazing.) Also, we are elite with Princess, so we get free laundry. That's a great perk on a long cruise!

Last thing is price. We'll be back on our favorite ship, Regal Princess, early this year for a 12-night British Isles cruise. Now, we are doing 4 in an inside (they had a 3/4 sail free) and all of us have the Princess Plus package, which includes gratuities, wifi, and the drink package for all 4 of us and the total for the 12-night cruise with all of that including port fees and taxes was right around $6,000. Hard to beat that...

So... Go try a bunch of lines. You may find that they all do something well and you may enjoy getting to have a bit of variety! I've never done Celebrity and am looking forward to trying that sometime as well!

Last edited:
Looking through these threads and we try to plan where and what to try next. We were booked on NCL in November, but we had to cancel that. In our previous life, before children, we tried several of the lines and had great experiences. Now, despite being in our mid-40s and early 50s, we have two youngish children 11 and 8. That plays into where we cruise. DCL is our favorite hands down (even w/o the kids in the mix), but the repetitive itineraries, the cost, and the disaster that is the Wish, we need to branch out. Can anyone point us in a direction that would be good for us with the kids? We are doing to try RCCL again in a month, but I do not think we will love that. We didn't like it before kids, so I am not sure that will change much with them. Any help would be much appreciated.

If your main goal is to have happy kids then I think RCCL is your best choice, so many things for them to do. Carnival might also be up there but as an adult I'd never go on them again, just tooooo much. I know Celebrity doesn't have much of a rep as a good line for kids but I've seen a few posts in Facebook groups for Celebrity saying their kids really enjoyed their spring break trip so you might want to check them out. As another DCL cruiser that can't take their prices anymore we've done two Celebrity cruises and they've won us over, we have a British Isle book for this September and a Greece/Turkey/Italy book for next May.

If there is someone I can trust, it is RAD (my mother's initials), but I think it should clarify something. Pleasing them with my choice of cruises isn't important to me/us. I just don't want them to be the only kids aboard and get the scorn of everyone else who is cruising w/o children. Some of the cruises we have been on in the past would not have worked well for kids, since we saw plenty of contempt for the young. That was before we had kids, so our priorities have changed. Even taking the kids out of the equation, we were devoted DCL fans, but it is just getting old paying too much for the same ports every year.

I have heard good things about the newest Carnival ships, but I am just not sure I can stomach the Carnival vibe at this point in my life. I worry that RCCL will fall into that same category, but we are trying them in about a month. If there will be some kids on Celebrity, I would love to give them a shot and see what it's all about it. From what I have seen, we can get a lot more for less or equal on their ships versus DCL. I do appreciate the input, and I look forward to hearing about the two cruises you have upcoming. A Greek Isles cruise and Italy are certainly on our list one day. That's one of the reasons we are looking for other options, though. DCL in Europe has just gotten ridiculous.

RAD is my initials, son of DAD.

Since we don’t have kids to worry about anymore we haven’t looked into the kids experiences on Celebrity. You might want to check https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/camp-at-sea for some info.

We did a RCCL cruise in January, a 5 night on The Allure of the Seas, main reason that ship was we live in TX so it was just a drive to Galveston to catch the ship. But even just being able to drive isn’t enough to make us do it again. We’re used to DCL and Celebrity service level, something not on RCCL. Example, we noticed an excursion we had book wasn’t showing in the app calendar anymore. I went to the excursion desk to see what was going on since we hadn‘t received any notice of cancellation. The excursion desk was closed so I went to guest services to see if they could tell me what was happening, their response was if we have the ticket foe the excurion then it was happening. I asked to please check since it was gone from the app, nope, you have a ticket you’re going. Since we were in a suite I visited the concierge, she had to call three different numbers but eventually found out that yes it was cancelled.

On our Celebrity Alaska cruise we took we had a few issues and never got a run around and things taken care or quickly with no hassle. At the end of the cruise we and another couple we were traveling with each received $2,000 of future cruise credits, something totally unexpected and very nice.

If your budget allows I’d look into booking a room i ‘The Retreat’ on one of the Edge class ships, we loved the vibe and the decor of the ship.

I copied this from a post yesterday in a Facebook group, hope that helps:

I didn’t see many reviews about traveling on Celebrity WITH kids- so here’s ours!
We just departed from Millennium out of San Juan, PR. Our kids are 10 and 13. Even though the ship was on the smaller side, it was perfect for our port heavy iternary. Our boys LOVED the X club (kids club) and begged to go each night!
We never had to wait in line and they were treated like kings. Several other families were on board since it’s Spring Break. They made many new friends and it reminded me of summer camp when I was young as we departed the ship, all the kids exchanging info, etc.
My only complaint would be I wish there were two ping pong tables (one NOT in the smoking section) and a little more to do on board.
Given the right itinerary, we will gladly take our family on Celebrity again! 🥰

So, DAD was your dad? I love it!! With my mom now gone, it's nice to meet another RAD.

We live in FL and close to Port Canaveral, so that's always been great for DCL. It is also why we decided to finally give RCCL a shot. The kids are excited about it, but I have a feeling it will change once we do it. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling this is a one and done for us. It's still a cruise, so I'm excited.

That kind of run around is enough to sour me on things. You essentially told them that you were confident it was canceled, and they just couldn't be bothered. It's the laziness that is too much for me. You're in a hospitality job, so try to be hospitable. Maybe I'm asking too much.

Let me ask you this, did you see other kids on your Celebrity cruises? That's my only real concern. I don't want them to stand out like a sore thumb. Other than that, we can find things to do with them. I still enjoy them and they still like me, so it works out. We play games in the room, hang out together, and just enjoy the time away from work and real life. I'm going to check out celebrity and look hard at booking something in the Retreat. I feel like a traitor talking about this, but we just need something different.

I copied this from a post yesterday in a Facebook group, hope that helps:
Thank you so much. I do not have facebook, so I would never have seen this. What great news and even though it's a total stranger, it makes me feel better.

Both of our Celebrity cruises were during the off season so kids were back in school. And one of them was back when COVID was still a thing and the Apex was running at only 50% capacity so really not a lot of kids.

I hope you don’t miss the prior response with info for you.

Thank you so much. I do not have facebook, so I would never have seen this. What great news and even though it's a total stranger, it makes me feel better.
You might want to get it for only using it for things like this. Usually every cruise will end up with a group for a specific cruise date.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter