Other officers in George Floyd case arrested; charge upgraded on Chauvin

I noticed it said "former police officers". Have they been fired? Last I heard they were on leave. I don't remember reading anything about them being fired.

Reports today say George Floyd tested positive for covid on April 3 and again at his death. Apparently it was an asymptomatic positive and did not contribute to his death. But this leads me to wondering. The officers did not have on masks if I recall correctly. Also it is reported that neither the funeral service nor the independent agency doing the private autopsy were informed of his positive test result. This seems reckless to me

Thank you for posting. Id much rather get my news updates here than fb, twitter, instagram.. whatever. And as far as news sites, I've no idea which one to believe.
You will keep yourself in the dark if you avoid the news. Information is light. There is a Media Bias Chart that rates news organizations. Google it. Go for news organizations that include factual reporting, complex analysis, and neutral or balanced views. ABC, CBS, NPR, CNN.com, Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, The New York Times, The Washington Post and quite a few others fall into those categories. Don't sow the seeds of discontent by claiming you can't trust the media. It's a smokescreen.

Reports today say George Floyd tested positive for covid on April 3 and again at his death. Apparently it was an asymptomatic positive and did not contribute to his death. But this leads me to wondering. The officers did not have on masks if I recall correctly. Also it is reported that neither the funeral service nor the independent agency doing the private autopsy were informed of his positive test result. This seems reckless to me

What I read was that the antibodies from his infection in April were detected in his autopsy.

Not that he had an active infection of Covid 19.

He was over the illness and was not contagious.

Our cases in my area are down to under 2 new cases a day. Our own police chief said that they have relaxed some of their Covid precautions when going on calls recently .

You will keep yourself in the dark if you avoid the news. Information is light. There is a Media Bias Chart that rates news organizations. Google it. Go for news organizations that include factual reporting, complex analysis, and neutral or balanced views. ABC, CBS, NPR, CNN.com, Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, The New York Times, The Washington Post and quite a few others fall into those categories. Don't sow the seeds of discontent by claiming you can't trust the media. It's a smokescreen.
[/QUOTE]

We had a great discussion at dinner last night with 3 of our children who are 23, 21 and 18 about current events and where they get their news. I was really amazed at how well versed they were on the big current topics and where they were getting their information.

So encouraged by today's younger generations.

The incident happened one afternoon and they were fired the next morning, I believe.

Hopefully, the firings followed the required departmental procedures and the union contract. The Minneapolis PD has a long, sad history of making really stupid procedural blunders and then blaming the outcomes on everyone except themselves.

I read an article this morning in which their former chief was blaming not only the union, but also the US Supreme Court for ruling against violations of officers' Constitutional rights. Not sure what she thinks the US Supreme Court is supposed to do if it's not to defend Constitutional rights! :confused3

If the department messed up by hastily firing them, the officers will get their jobs back. They won't actually serve again (they'll be fired again, hopefully correctly), but they'll collect all the back pay they lost.

YES! Can you imagine if they are found Not Guilty?

You think we've had problems the last week? You ain't seen NUTHIN' yet!

A lot of people have been upset that the process took as long as it did, but the key is CONVICTION, not speed.

I think the problem is they aren't convicted (regardless of actual guilt or lack of) the riots are going to happen.
It's hard not to look at the video and say that guy is 100% guilty (that's how I see it myself), but until a trial happen and any facts we DON'T know are on the table it's all opinion. Once most people's opinion is made it's not gonna change even if the facts could prove the opinion to be wrong.

There is always a problem if people hear things before a trial that are not facts and then the public assumes they are.

The most (but not only) damning thing I've heard so far is the additional two minutes after they checked and found no pulse. I am not up on the case enough to know how anyone knows this.

I think the problem is they aren't convicted (regardless of actual guilt or lack of) the riots are going to happen.
Unfortunately there will be riots (when) if they ARE convicted. Our team won let’s “celebrate” by trashing the city. Our team lost let’s show them by trashing the city.

i just hope the new charges aren't overcharged to satisfy others. 2nd degree murder is much harder to prove beyond a reasonable doubt than 3rd degree.
Yeah, I have that same reservation. I don't know MN law, and 3rd might be a "lesser included" for 2nd, but I was more comfortable with 3rd. The family wanted 1st, of course, and that put a good bit of pressure on prosecutors I'm sure.

Agree.
It's hard not to look at the video and say that guy is 100% guilty (that's how I see it myself)
Yep, but you know what? It's not a given that the video will be admitted into evidence! The defense is most certainly going to attack it (and the person who took it) with everything they can think of.

Don't forget that the jury's decision can only be based on the evidence which is admitted for trial and presented to them. If that video gets thrown out...watch out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter