Other Options...

Since we’re now booked for TB Costa Rica, was wondering if it’s worth it to add a day before the tour? I was thinking about it and researched a little. La Paz waterfalls looks nice. Or maybe just a city tour? Wondering what are people’s thoughts on this.

Also, not sure if there’s anyone from Toronto or Canada here. How is flying with Air Transat? :)

Thanks again guys!!

We always like to try to add a pre-day on to any trip we do. Helps us acclimatize to the new location and allows a buffer should anything go wrong on the way there.

I'm from Toronto but can't speak to Air Transat. We tend to avoid airlines like Sunwing and Air Transat because if something goes wrong with a plane, they don't have any on hand to replace it with and you'll be delayed until they can fix it.

For your preday, I highly recommend doing a tour of toucan rescue ranch that includes breakfast. They are a rescue doing great work especially with sloths. At breakfast, they bring out several baby sloths and feed them their bottles while you eat. La Paz was nice too, but super crowded and more of a zoo type experience.

We always like to try to add a pre-day on to any trip we do. Helps us acclimatize to the new location and allows a buffer should anything go wrong on the way there.

I'm from Toronto but can't speak to Air Transat. We tend to avoid airlines like Sunwing and Air Transat because if something goes wrong with a plane, they don't have any on hand to replace it with and you'll be delayed until they can fix it.

Thanks a lot for the advice! I may just go with Air Canada anyway then as they have flights everyday. (Air Transat only has it every couple of days) The reason I looked at a pre-stay was because Air Canada’s direct flight arrives at 8 at night.

For your preday, I highly recommend doing a tour of toucan rescue ranch that includes breakfast. They are a rescue doing great work especially with sloths. At breakfast, they bring out several baby sloths and feed them their bottles while you eat. La Paz was nice too, but super crowded and more of a zoo type experience.
Thanks! I think TB goes to the toucan centre already, so I was looking at other options. Nice to know La Paz is more crowded. Maybe we’ll just relax and do a city tour.

Yes, TB goes to the toucan rescue center already. We flew in the night before, then swam the next day as we wanted our kids to relax before starting the tour.

Thanks a lot for the advice! I may just go with Air Canada anyway then as they have flights everyday. (Air Transat only has it every couple of days) The reason I looked at a pre-stay was because Air Canada’s direct flight arrives at 8 at night.

Thanks! I think TB goes to the toucan centre already, so I was looking at other options. Nice to know La Paz is more crowded. Maybe we’ll just relax and do a city tour.

I clearly did not check the TB itinerary before making my suggestion. But I agree with nemofans about doing a relaxing day instead. As you probably gathered, we did both Toucan Rescue Ranch and La Paz and I felt like there was no need to do both. Say hi to Jazz the monkey for us when you visit TRR. My son is still talking about him 2 years after our visit.

Thanks for the responses everyone!
I clearly did not check the TB itinerary before making my suggestion. But I agree with nemofans about doing a relaxing day instead. As you probably gathered, we did both Toucan Rescue Ranch and La Paz and I felt like there was no need to do both. Say hi to Jazz the monkey for us when you visit TRR. My son is still talking about him 2 years after our visit.
Thanks! My son would love to see monkeys!! Have a question about TB, do they do the transfer from airport to hotel if you don’t book with them? It’s the same hotel but their price is almost double of what I found online booking with the hotel itself.

WE did the tauck TB a couple years ago and loved it. They will pick you up and get you to the hotel so long as you are on the trip I believe but call them they are tops in service. The hotel is a bit of a ride (20 minutes) and I remember the airport being a little "wild" when we emerged. After you book your second trip with them they usually give you a pre or post night free. We just traveled with them on their small ship cruise to Croatia and got a free pre night stay in Venice valued at $960.00. It makes a big difference to us as well as the tips included in the price. We arrived a day early and got a guide with a van through the front desk of the hotel. It cost us $50.00 for the afternoon and he drove us all around taking us to the downtown as well as the opera house, various parks and capital areas. Really nice guide well versed in the history. Waited for us in the van while we toured as well as came and narrated for us. Really nice day spent. Love the chocolate tour as well as the rescue animal visit. The best is the rain forest "huts" and volcano heated pools at the second hotel as well as zip lining. Any questions I will try to answer.

WE did the tauck TB a couple years ago and loved it. They will pick you up and get you to the hotel so long as you are on the trip I believe but call them they are tops in service. The hotel is a bit of a ride (20 minutes) and I remember the airport being a little "wild" when we emerged. After you book your second trip with them they usually give you a pre or post night free. We just traveled with them on their small ship cruise to Croatia and got a free pre night stay in Venice valued at $960.00. It makes a big difference to us as well as the tips included in the price. We arrived a day early and got a guide with a van through the front desk of the hotel. It cost us $50.00 for the afternoon and he drove us all around taking us to the downtown as well as the opera house, various parks and capital areas. Really nice guide well versed in the history. Waited for us in the van while we toured as well as came and narrated for us. Really nice day spent. Love the chocolate tour as well as the rescue animal visit. The best is the rain forest "huts" and volcano heated pools at the second hotel as well as zip lining. Any questions I will try to answer.
Thanks!!! This gets me really excited! This will be our first trip with TB. I did book a pre-day and post day. I found a cheaper price for preday and our flight lands at almost 10pm so I thought it would be better just to book the cheaper rate. Thank you for the tip on just booking with the front desk. I think I’ll just do that if we feel like it for the day. :) question about tips... I know it’s included but do people usually tip more? :) also, do you know if we need to bring bug spray? :) what did you find most important to pack? Lol! Sorry for the hundred and one questions!

I don't think TB will pick you up a day early if you didn't book your pre stay with them. You should check with them on that. It was hectic at the airport, but pick up service was wonderful. While we were in the immigration line, our TB person went to baggage claim and got all our luggage for us.

I don't think TB will pick you up a day early if you didn't book your pre stay with them. You should check with them on that. It was hectic at the airport, but pick up service was wonderful. While we were in the immigration line, our TB person went to baggage claim and got all our luggage for us.
I’ll be sure to ask them before I cancel. Might be worthwhile just paying more for this. Thanks!

Just did a regular Tauck tour to Portugal and booked a pre-day through booking.com. Tauck picked me up at the airport cause it was the same hotel.

Thanks!!! This gets me really excited! This will be our first trip with TB. I did book a pre-day and post day. I found a cheaper price for preday and our flight lands at almost 10pm so I thought it would be better just to book the cheaper rate. Thank you for the tip on just booking with the front desk. I think I’ll just do that if we feel like it for the day. :) question about tips... I know it’s included but do people usually tip more? :) also, do you know if we need to bring bug spray? :) what did you find most important to pack? Lol! Sorry for the hundred and one questions!

I've been on two TB trips. I don't believe anyone tipped the guides, although they were very good. In my opinion, that would be like tipping the your servers in restaurants and bell service in the hotels on an ABD. It's inlcuded, so it's not necessary, unless they do something completely above and beyond for your personally.

I've been on two TB tips. I don't believe anyone tipped the guides, although they were very good. In my opinion, that would be like tipping the your servers in restaurants and bell service in the hotels on an ABD. It's inlcuded, so it's not necessary.
Thanks for the info! That’s great to know! Is tipping restaurants and bell service on TB not included? I didn’t think about that until now that you mentioned it!

The only tips not included are meals on your own. I personally tipped the local guide that accompanied us for our trip west for he really was great and could use the money for his family. Never felt any pressure at all. Also when we went on our personal trip before the group met we did tip. Otherwise all tips are included. Good deal.

The only tips not included are meals on your own. I personally tipped the local guide that accompanied us for our trip west for he really was great and could use the money for his family. Never felt any pressure at all. Also when we went on our personal trip before the group met we did tip. Otherwise all tips are included. Good deal.
Great to know! Thanks again for your help! :) I’m so excited I’m telling my DS about it already! Did you have young children during your trip? I’m just wondering about the zip lining... it would be great if they let my son who is 5 participate even if he has to go in tandem with me or the guide. :) was there any other activities that a 5 year old may not be able to participate in?

In my opinion a 5 year old would be interested in most activities so long as he has an attention span. Say the chocolate stop the presenters are quite entertaining so it was really fun. The rain forest animal sighting is cool traveling through the rivers trying to spot wild animals. Take a set of binoculars they really come in handy. Of course the animal rescue will be awesome. The hot pools have no life guards so he can not be left alone. Take water shoes for the beach on the west coast as well as the river float. The zip line I don't know about the weight issue and you need to be able to control when you come to slow down and stop. I did not see a tandem rider so I would call on that. There are a couple of curvy bus rides where some people got queasy so maybe an I pad to keep him occupied not focused on the winding roads. On our trip we went down the river with crocs staring at us from the sides so he may think that's "cool" or frightening depending on your child. All in all I don't see why he cannot participate in all or most of the activities. He may even turn into the trip mascot. lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!