Other than essential items, what are you stocking up on for Fall/Winter?

Disneefun

DIS Veteran
So, other than groceries, cleaning supplies, etc., what are you squirreling away in case the fall/winter is terrible with Covid? Even without Covid, I find myself in fall stocking up on books, puzzles, games and Lego, just to get through the cold weather. This year it's worse because so many of these things have been hard to find or OOS (or priced at scalper prices) altogether since the spring. I'm getting while the getting is good.

Also I'm going ahead and doing my Christmas shopping as I see and think of things. I'm afraid there might be more supply chain disruptions/demand issues so I'm definitely not waiting until the last minute. (I tend not to, anyway, but for sure not this year!)

Anyone else acting like a squirrel filling a tree with nuts?

Doll making supplies, mostly. I want to keep my main hobby going. This means mainly fabric and trim. I can order that stuff online but I like to see what it feels like before I buy it.

Also books...the little supermarket around the corner from my house had a big box with a sign on it that read, "Free Books." I took a few and one of the employees said that I'd better take them all because they were throwing them out later that day because they were just taking up room. So I am now the proud owner of over 40 trashy historical romance novels, of which I will avail myself on cold nights.

I also started my Christmas shopping, all online. I'm not braving any crowds this year, and I'm sure there will be crowds despite the best efforts of employees and managers to keep it safe.

I've taken care of DD#2's Christmas already; waiting on 2 items to ship and it's done. (Mainly did this because of their upcoming move).

I'm getting DD#1's Christmas at the beginning of November, instead of waiting for DH's bonus check in December.

DS just wants $$ so I can just transfer funds to him (which is preferred method of getting it, saving a trip to the bank), when DH's Christmas bonus comes in. Not as much fun as shopping and wrapping gifts, but that's about me, not him, lol.

I always keep tp and paper towels, laundry soap and cleaning supplies on hand. The only thing I'm still on the hunt for are sanitizing wipes and hand sanitizer (because my big bottles from BJs were recalled).

We are waiting to see what DH's Christmas bonus is (he is getting a bonus, as the company put the money aside for them when they did the budget last year; we just don't know how much), and if it's what we are hoping, we want to get a Switch and do a few small upgrades for all of our computers, then pay off a loan with the rest (well, the other way around, pay the loan first, lol). We also talked about getting me a keyboard, and DH wants a new bass guitar, lol.

I do want to get some more puzzles, but the ones I prefer are still mostly out of stock online. I also want to get some more diamond paintings, because those are kinda fun! I bought a lightboard and some little containers for the diamond things (got the painting set as a Reddit gift exchange gift), so I figure I have those items, I might as well do a few more! I just buy my books on my Kindle, for the most part, anymore; we do get some paperback/hardback of favorite authors, but those are wants, not needs.

Outside of groceries, toiletries, and cleaning supplies, which I have been steadily stocking up on, we are very blessed to not need much else, even in the "entertainment" department. We have lots of puzzles, craft items (my main hobby is cross-stitch and I have two new patterns and supplies), colouring books (for me), Lego, and other items to keep us busy for a very long time. I have my eye on a few different puzzles that I plan on ordering, but they aren't my top picks. The ones I have really wanted to look at getting have been out of stock since March. The other area that I usually stock up in before winter is reading material, because our library always does a fall book sale. At this point, our book selection is getting leaner, as both the spring and fall sales have been cancelled, so it has been a year since we brought home new (to us) books for our shelves.

Our family plays a lot of modern board games, so I will most likely grab a few new titles for winter, but other than that, the technology that allows for downloadable content for TV shows, movies, music, and video games, should take care of the rest of our winter entertainment needs.

As far as Christmas goes, my kids are all older and none of us really want or need anything. For that reason, I don't think I am going to stress too much about making sure we get the perfect gifts under the tree. I don't anticipate anything I would pick up as being items that would sell out fast. My biggest concern will be holiday treats and baking supplies. The good stuff sometimes becomes short stocked in the best of years. I have no idea what this year will bring, but if I am out and see holiday snacks or foods that I know we will want to have on hand, I will be buying them the first time I see them, not waiting until my next trip out two weeks later.

All my holiday meal shopping is done, including spices for pumpkin pie etc and I am nearly done with Christmas gifts. I normally like a big turkey but things are so weird I grabbed a little Butterball roast just in case.

Nothing really. Even if things get worse than they have ever been and for some reason we go to a COMPLETE lock down. I don't know that we would need anything other than food & house hold supplies. I have a large supply of books and always seem to find new (old) things to watch on Hulu.

I'm Christmas shopping early. I'm not stocking up on entertainment. If things get bad enough to force house arrest again, I will be providing school speech therapy from home again (we are currently back at school) and that was a massive time suck this spring and summer, so there's no point. I probably should stock up on easy prep meals, because if remote learning happens again, it is back to survival cooking.

With my vitamins and supplements now essential for my health...I'd have to say nothing. I don't foresee a complete shutdown or if there is, a need for more than I have (if anything, rather than "stocking up", I may just add a different entertainment service, like HBO Max, if I need something to see my fam through winter)...

As for Christmas, I've bought nothing so far. My kids have mentioned a game or two, but I think they want a late spring vacation badly (with my oldest heading to college in 2021, and with me needing to travel when germs are low), so presents may be tickets and perks for that, as much as "usable in January"...

Protein sources (lentils, canned meat, dried beans, etc).
Grains - I usually keep 25 lbs of rice and 25 lbs of flour, but I've upped those.
Canned foods that we use a lot, like crushed tomatoes, veggies, etc.
Seasonings and spices, so I can cook from scratch but it'll still be tasty.

We are looking for an outdoor propane patio heater so we can be outside during the cold winter months. I suspect we will have an extended lockdown around the end of January, which is the darkest and coldest month were I live.

"Fun" stuff for us to do with the kids when the lockdown happens. We have some games & such, and have bought an indoor s'mores maker and other things like that.

Not a darn thing. We just juggled around things that were in short supply when there were shortages. No big deal. Okay, I was getting a little tired of chicken since that never was in short supply and you could never buy anything smaller than a 5 pound package, but my wife was in heaven since she loves chicken.

So, other than groceries, cleaning supplies, etc., what are you squirreling away in case the fall/winter is terrible with Covid?
Also I'm going ahead and doing my Christmas shopping as I see and think of things. I'm afraid there might be more supply chain disruptions/demand issues so I'm definitely not waiting until the last minute. (I tend not to, anyway, but for sure not this year!)
This is a good question. I stopped in to see if there is anything I'm missing. I know this summer there were scares about meat shortages and carbonated beverage shortages (not sure which one scared me the most lol). We have a freezers full of pork and beef so I'm good there. I bought a bunch of Truly but that shortage never came to be, but I'm good there. I do think I will restock up on Dei Fratelli seasoned diced tomatoes for chili and other favorite recipes. We are trying to stay ahead on cleaning and bathroom supplies. I had not thought about Christmas at all but agree the shelves are already bare, it could be a hostile Black Friday. For me I think that is the take away from your post. Thanks

I also started my Christmas shopping, all online. I'm not braving any crowds this year, and I'm sure there will be crowds despite the best efforts of employees and managers to keep it safe.
That is a really good point!

We are waiting to see what DH's Christmas bonus is (he is getting a bonus, as the company put the money aside for them when they did the budget last year; we just don't know how much),
Oh goodness this reminds me way too much of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. I hope it is everything you anticipate!

Kindly excuse me, but because I'm Covid19 concerned again with our numbers now rising at an alarming rate; my first thoughts on reading this were resolve, patience, and faith.
Maybe a little off point but an excellent comment even worth it's own thread.

As far as Christmas goes, my kids are all older and none of us really want or need anything. For that reason, I don't think I am going to stress too much about making sure we get the perfect gifts under the tree.
Same here, I think I will be rethinking this also. I go overboard for our immediate family but this might be the year to be a little more mature about it. My DD's, their husbands and my grandbabies do not need anything and it is so hard to find something they really want (not that they aren't appreciative of gifts) but there are so many in a precarious way finding those in need should be pretty easy.

Last edited:
I think this was mostly due to a aluminum shortage. BUT I did notice that at the store this morning there was NO Dr. Pepper. No cans, no bottles. NONE.
Actually I read it was because of a Co2 shortage. Apparently it is a by product of ethanol (I think it was ethanol) production which the majority of ethanol plants were shut down I think as a result of the drop in petroleum prices. Maybe both though who knows it's hard to keep up on the next great shortage. My SiL did say the store didn't have Coke cans yesterday which I did think was pretty shocking.

I'm coming back with another reply. The way our Meijer Grocery store has been the last half of summer.....empty shelves much of the time on things I wouldn't even tie into a pandemic or people even "stocking" up yet for winter; I guess I would say I probably will get various items IF they become available at that store in the next few weeks.

Midwest DISers.....have you notice the increasing bare shelves at Meijer stores??

I'm coming back with another reply. The way our Meijer Grocery store has been the last half of summer.....empty shelves much of the time on things I wouldn't even tie into a pandemic or people even "stocking" up yet for winter; I guess I would say I probably will get various items IF they become available at that store in the next few weeks.

Midwest DISers.....have you notice the increasing bare shelves at Meijer stores??
Yes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter