Other than essential items, what are you stocking up on for Fall/Winter?

Nothing really. My neighborhood didnt run out of anything except rubbing alcohol & Lysol products. Bleach was at a mark-up for a bit; toilet paper was readily available.

I normally will stock up on a few staples starting November when the snow may come. I walk or take the subway everywhere & Im terrified walking on icy sidewalks & subway platforms. Ill normally buy more "heavy" items for a month by snow season- pet food, tins of beans, bags of rice, other tin/glass items, laundry detergent, etc. Thankfully, my wine shop delivers to my front door. Other then that, I dont get any deliveries here as they get dumped in the main hallway of my building (yup, even groceries!) and it becomes a theft free-for-all.

Nothing out of the norm for me here. I have a stack of books a mile high and have no business buying any more. I have a Christmas puzzle to work on and my MIL brought 3 or 4 puzzles to me that she finished.

I'm heading out to Trader Joe's next week to stock my freezer up.

I did stock up on masks because I finally found disposable ones that I like.

I started Christmas shopping already, but that's normal for me. :)

I buy Bounty paper towels every time I see them. When things got bad, it was the Bounty that I missed the most. No other paper towel matches up. I also am starting to buy what I need for our holiday dinners. Today I got Stovetop stuffing, gravy mix, evaporated milk, sugar and flour. I already have my Christmas cards.

Nothing. We are still well stocked from March when dh shopped.

I've lucked up and found wipes, disinfecting spray, and handsanitizer. So I'm stocked there for now, too. I have a well supplied medicine cabinet if we were to get sick. Have emergenC and zinc and a new thermometer. Bought extra tp to send with kids. Still have 3 large packages that equal 36 rolls each. Rarely use paper towels and have 4 unopened rolls.

Just the 2 of us. 3 kids will be home for Thanksgiving/Christmas break.

I'll get their favorite items that dh and I don't eat and shop to feed them and if we have guests for holidays.

We don't get snow, so no need to be ready to be snowed in.

Freezer is pretty full so I’m just buying weekly to maintain. The pantry is also in good shape and my tp shelf is full.

I’m working from home and my kids are learning from home. I have always been a good meal planner and we are settling into routines. I stocked up on some puzzles and have 5 to do when I feel like it. In addition, I made my cleaning/house projects list and I hope to begin that once my job settles down some.

I need to figure out Christmas shopping and holiday meals. Spices are in short supply at my local grocery store but thankfully I’ve been able to find what I need.

Arts and craft supplies.

I only have enough dog food for a month, I should grab a bag since his was hard to find in spring.

I pretty much have everything we need other than groceries. We could survive a few weeks without going anywhere if we had to. I do curb side and will continue to do that. We are in a huge covid19 surge here and I have no trouble getting a time slot.

Still contemplating a treadmill and a separate freezer.

I'm coming back with another reply. The way our Meijer Grocery store has been the last half of summer.....empty shelves much of the time on things I wouldn't even tie into a pandemic or people even "stocking" up yet for winter; I guess I would say I probably will get various items IF they become available at that store in the next few weeks.

Midwest DISers.....have you notice the increasing bare shelves at Meijer stores??

I notice the ice cream coolers have been close to empty every time I go to the store.

I'm keeping ahead on sanitizer and TP. But beyond that? Nothing. Not a gosh darn thing. I'm over all of this. We won't starve. I've been trained to be happy with whatever I happen to find at the store.

spaghetti squash, just had some, very sweet, not sure if Oregon fires is going to limit availability into december, so stocking up.

I stocked up on puzzles during the lockdown, I was lucky that my B&N had plenty in stock for curbside pick-up so I got quite a few and never got to doing them.
I'm going to make sure I have plenty of flour and yeast, but other than that I'm not stocking up on anything more than usual. Except paint and supplies since I'm going to be doing alot of painting this winter.

I've been getting some new, big, lush, green houseplants for my window sill/reading nook. This way, if we're forced to stay indoors due to an upsurge, I won't feel so deprived that I'm not out in nature. I've brought enough of it indoors.

I have slowly been building a stockpile. Bought a new freezer back in June and filled that over the summer. Have some extra cleaning stuff, tp, paper towels, etc. Stocked up on seasonings and baking items.

‘Going to pick up some more dog food, batteries, basic medicines, vitamins and wine. Lots of wine, because the winter is long and cold and dark.😁

I'm coming back with another reply. The way our Meijer Grocery store has been the last half of summer.....empty shelves much of the time on things I wouldn't even tie into a pandemic or people even "stocking" up yet for winter; I guess I would say I probably will get various items IF they become available at that store in the next few weeks.

Midwest DISers.....have you notice the increasing bare shelves at Meijer stores??

You're "up north", aren't you? Do you think it might be related to the changing tourism patterns rather than actual shortages?

Our Meijers have looked pretty normal here on the fringes of the Detroit area since late April/early May, as has the one in my mother's inner-ring suburb. But we did notice empty shelves at the Ludington Meijer in May, the IGA in St. Ignace in July, and the two Dollar Generals we stopped at while we were up in Baldwin last weekend (because it took three stops - two DGs and a truck stop - to find a simple gallon of drinking water!). A store clerk I was talking to on this last trip and the owner of the campground where we stayed said this has been a crazy-busy fall for them. Usually they get the fishermen but that's about it this late in the season, but this year it has been a lot more families traveling or staying at their cabins and cottages. I know the MI tourism numbers were surprisingly strong this year as more people decided to stay in or come to a state that had the virus under better control than most, and I know there was something of a shift in how people traveled with AirBnB and campgrounds booked solid but ordinary hotels less so. If the stores in your area planned their ordering based on last summer's buying patterns, they may just have been caught short in adjusting to the weirdness that is 2020.

I've been getting some new, big, lush, green houseplants for my window sill/reading nook. This way, if we're forced to stay indoors due to an upsurge, I won't feel so deprived that I'm not out in nature. I've brought enough of it indoors.

I wasn't thinking of it that way, but I've done the same. I usually only keep one houseplant - a seemingly immortal aloe in my kitchen window - but this year I have a whole indoor herb garden growing in my office and dining room. Green things help my mood and I'm dreading winter more than usual this year, mostly out of fear that we won't be able to go anywhere to escape it (we usually travel somewhere warm for at least a week every winter), so maybe that has something to do with why I've started all these new plants.

Mainly vodka. Oh, and lots and lots of Clamato.
Vodka was my first thought too. When the liquor stores reopened I bought big bottles of rum, gin, and vodka. We used a decent amount of the gin, little of the rum, but the vodka is almost gone!

I'm not really stocking up on anything unusual.

I do need to grab some TP. Was trying to stretch it in the spring between the house and business when there was a shortage. Have been stocking up all summer as I found sanitizer/cleaning products available. Did stock up freezer, now just some basics for the pantry. (And always doing Xmas shopping throughout the year)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter