Ottawa - Orlando on Porter

mab2012

DIS Veteran
For my fellow Ottawa residents:

I noticed a billboard this morning advertising non-stop flights from Ottawa to Melbourne on Porter. Website says seasonal December - April. Only one flight a week, but IMO any new option is good. This would be a great airport for cruises out of Port Canaveral if they would just expand the flight schedule a bit. Strictly speaking it's doable now for a Saturday cruise (inbound flight lands at 1:20, outbound leaves at 3:20), but I don't think I'd personally chance it. If that inbound flight gets delayed a couple of hours, your cruise is leaving without you.

Thanks for this! I wonder if they fly into FLL or MIA as well... As for the December to April, I have a trip planned in April and have been stalking flights (hoping to get enough AM). Planning to add on some Disney to a cruise... perhaps we'll be gone for two weeks.

Thanks for the info - this is the first I hear of it.

One thing I noticed that is a bit odd with Porter flights (YOW->MLB) and that might cause some complications is that they don't have return dates on the same day as arrivals (i.e. you can't go for 7 days, you have to go for something like 5 or 9). Also it flies to Melbourne (MLB) which as mentioned, for cruises from Port Canaveral works well, but for Disney (about 90 minutes away - a bit less if you take toll roads) or most other Florida destinations is not as ideal. To be fair, Allegiant flies to Sanford (SFB)

I think the more options the better but looking at a quick scan of prices, AllegiantAir from OGS is quite a bit cheaper and it might not be tons cheaper than other airlines from YOW. Looking at dates that we are thinking of travelling (Dec 28-Jan 11), Allegiant is $1600USD so $2000CND (for 4), Porter (for Dec28-Jan13) is $2800CND (for 4). And the cheapest from flights.google.com was $2892 non-stop (no better option for flights with stops).

Just to compare, I looked at other dates (always for 4):
Dec17-Dec24 : Allegiant -> $552US = $703CND
Dec16-Dec25 : Porter -> $1082CND
Dec17-Dec24 : Google -> $1556CND (non-stop), $1468CND (one-stop, reasonable travel time (about 6hrs) - there are cheaper but many have overnight layover)

Mar11-Mar18 : Allegiant -> $2164US = $2756CND
Mar10-Mar17 : Porter -> $6353CND
Mar10-Mar17 : Google -> $5530CND (non-stop), $3521CND (one-stop, reasonable travel time (about 5hrs) - there are cheaper but many have overnight layover)

Note that I didn't include any extra fees for luggage or seat selection so if you are comparing rates, make sure you compare the same thing ...

Last edited:
Thanks for this! I wonder if they fly into FLL or MIA as well... As for the December to April, I have a trip planned in April and have been stalking flights (hoping to get enough AM). Planning to add on some Disney to a cruise... perhaps we'll be gone for two weeks.

Given that they don't fly to MCO, I suspect they'd fly to other small airports rather than FLL or MIA.

We’ve done the Toronto-Melbourne route and loved it. It was only about an hour drive. Airport is similar in passenger volume to Billy Bishop (that is - SMALL) so customs was a breeze. Rental cars were literally right outside the airport doors.

I’ll take Melbourne over the Orlando airport any day.

I have to agree with you
We’ve done the Toronto-Melbourne route and loved it. It was only about an hour drive. Airport is similar in passenger volume to Billy Bishop (that is - SMALL) so customs was a breeze. Rental cars were literally right outside the airport doors.

I’ll take Melbourne over the Orlando airport any day.

I have to agree with you about preferring to go to Melbourne Airport over MCO because it's so much smaller and quieter but it's still a long drive so have to keep that in mind. According to Google Maps, MLB is 80 minutes from DisneyWorld (and that's on a toll road) - MCO is 25 minutes, SFB is about 60 minutes, TPA is 70 minutes and PIE is 80 minutes.

Arriving 3 hours early at MLB (for an international flight) means that if you have 8AM flight and are staying at Disney, you need to leave at 3:00-3:30AM to give yourself a bit of buffer ... and even that might not be enough buffer if there's an accident on the 95. Similarly, landing at 11:30PM at MLB probably means you don't get to Disney until 2AM ...

I have to agree with you

I have to agree with you about preferring to go to Melbourne Airport over MCO because it's so much smaller and quieter but it's still a long drive so have to keep that in mind. According to Google Maps, MLB is 80 minutes from DisneyWorld (and that's on a toll road) - MCO is 25 minutes, SFB is about 60 minutes, TPA is 70 minutes and PIE is 80 minutes.

Arriving 3 hours early at MLB (for an international flight) means that if you have 8AM flight and are staying at Disney, you need to leave at 3:00-3:30AM to give yourself a bit of buffer ... and even that might not be enough buffer if there's an accident on the 95. Similarly, landing at 11:30PM at MLB probably means you don't get to Disney until 2AM ...

I would never in a million years get to MLB 3 hours before my flight. And even Porter doesn’t tell you to. An hour to 90 minutes - tops. And that’s only if you’re checking a bag.

When you factor in time to get your rental car at MCO, or time to wait for the not so magical express and then make 2-4 stops - you’re tied at worst. Or MLB comes out ahead.

I would never in a million years get to MLB 3 hours before my flight. And even Porter doesn’t tell you to. An hour to 90 minutes - tops. And that’s only if you’re checking a bag.

When you factor in time to get your rental car at MCO, or time to wait for the not so magical express and then make 2-4 stops - you’re tied at worst. Or MLB comes out ahead.

Good point. I was going by the "common" advanced time for international flights. On their website, Porter says 90 minutes for flights to / from US for airports other than Toronto City but that's still significantly less than you have to do at MCO (there you do have to do 3 hours).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts