Our “California Adventure” a Road Trip to the West (Update: Day 17 - There and back again)

I just wanted to say thanks again for taking the time to write this TR. You have a lovely family and are an excellent writer. We are planning a beach day on our May/June trip, so I am saving the info on your beach day. Even though I love the beach scene in Soarin' (old version), a beach day wasn't really on my radar until your report. I'm thinking maybe Crescent Bay at Laguna....but Great Mex at Huntington Beach looks really good! And us Texans miss Mexican food when we are away from home, lol.

I just read your entire TR today! I loved ready about all of the Disney stuff, but all the non-Disney stuff was awesome too. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for sharing. My family and I are HUGE Disney fans! We try to go every year. Like you this year we decided the kids needed to see more than Florida! We are planning a trip of a lifetime. Boston to California Road Trip - with most of our journey on Route 66. Our ultimate Destination is Disneyland!!! It will be our first visit. We really enjoyed reading your trip report and looking at your pictures!! We have a little over 100 more days to go until we start our adventure.

I have to say thanks to the last couple of folks to reply to this. It brought this thread back to the top, where I saw it and read it. I love road trips and your report gave me a couple more bucket list items (like I need more :) ). We're into Disney history as well, although you know much more than we do. I ordered the Frank & Ollie movie you recommended. Have you seen, "The boys?" It's about the Sherman Brothers (the guys who wrote many of the Disney classics, including the songs from Small World & the Tiki Room, the music from Mary Poppins). They're the ones featured in Saving Mr. Banks. It's amazing how much music we know that they had a hand in writing. I'm guessing you may have seen it, but if not, I think it's a must for folks wanting to know Disney history.

We're driving out to DLR this summer from North Carolina. It will be our first trip to DLR, that I can remember (I was there in the 60s as a baby) and I'm looking forward to the original Walt references. I'm sad the train likely won't be running for our trip. It's a reason I'll go back. I think every boy likes trains to some level and I know how important they were to Walt, so was looking forward to riding "his" trains.

Speaking of trains, if you ever make your way out to North Carolina, you'll have to check out the NC Transportation Museum (www.nctrans.org). It's very "train-centric" being located on the site of what was once Southern Railway Company's largest steam locomotive servicing facility. They offer train rides and often bring in special trains you can check out and ride. To me the highlight is that they have what they say is the largest remaining roundhouse in North America. They have trains and train cars you can tour in the round house and they also actively work to restoring old trains and train cars in the roundhouse. They also do a tour of the roundhouse and they will take you "out for a spin" on the giant turn table that rotates the trains to be parked in the roundhouse. It's all very cool stuff.

I have to say thanks to the last couple of folks to reply to this. It brought this thread back to the top, where I saw it and read it. I love road trips and your report gave me a couple more bucket list items (like I need more :) ). We're into Disney history as well, although you know much more than we do. I ordered the Frank & Ollie movie you recommended. Have you seen, "The boys?" It's about the Sherman Brothers (the guys who wrote many of the Disney classics, including the songs from Small World & the Tiki Room, the music from Mary Poppins). They're the ones featured in Saving Mr. Banks. It's amazing how much music we know that they had a hand in writing. I'm guessing you may have seen it, but if not, I think it's a must for folks wanting to know Disney history.

We're driving out to DLR this summer from North Carolina. It will be our first trip to DLR, that I can remember (I was there in the 60s as a baby) and I'm looking forward to the original Walt references. I'm sad the train likely won't be running for our trip. It's a reason I'll go back. I think every boy likes trains to some level and I know how important they were to Walt, so was looking forward to riding "his" trains.

Speaking of trains, if you ever make your way out to North Carolina, you'll have to check out the NC Transportation Museum (www.nctrans.org). It's very "train-centric" being located on the site of what was once Southern Railway Company's largest steam locomotive servicing facility. They offer train rides and often bring in special trains you can check out and ride. To me the highlight is that they have what they say is the largest remaining roundhouse in North America. They have trains and train cars you can tour in the round house and they also actively work to restoring old trains and train cars in the roundhouse. They also do a tour of the roundhouse and they will take you "out for a spin" on the giant turn table that rotates the trains to be parked in the roundhouse. It's all very cool stuff.

I second watching "The Boys." I thought it was a fascinating documentary.

Thank you MarbleBob for this adventure you "took" me on!
It was great finding it years later and being able to read it all at once and not have to wait for installments to post! It also kept me quite entertained on these last two slow night shifts here at work.

I can't even begin to comment on all I want to, there was so much of it!

Highlights: mareceline Mo. wow! I want to go now!

Santa Claus on his way to Starbucks! I laughed out loud reading about him!

Your family is amazingly adorable! Sweet sweet kids it seems and a happy couple, so very nice to see.

I need to find your Hawaii trip report and read it! I've been to Hawaii many many times and one of these days, for the sake of my kid (who am I kidding...me!) we will have to check out Aulani. Since Buddy loves trains so much on your next trip to Hawaii (there WILL be one because once you go you'll never get it out of your system), you should go to Kauai. There's a fun train to ride at the Kilohana plantation. It's a very quaint fun gorgeous train ride through many tropical gardens. At the end you can feed some pigs!

http://www.kilohanakauai.com/

We live about a 5 hour drive up from San Francisco, in the redwoods on the coast. We visit San Francisco very often and I've never been to the Walt Family Museum but it's been on my list. After your TR, I realize I HAVE to get there soon! It's looks so "cool".
And we are at Union square, Fisherman's Wharf and china town more than anything. Now I realize I need to spend some time in Japan town as well.

So thank you! It was quite entertaining. I've never visiting the TR forum, always just sticking to the DL forum. This is the first TR that caught my eye and I read it. So glad I did!

Hello everyone! For some reason, I haven't been receiving Disboards alerts for a while... and I didn't realize that there were new comments in the past few months. Hard to believe this trip was over two years ago now!!!!

I just wanted to say thanks again for taking the time to write this TR. You have a lovely family and are an excellent writer. We are planning a beach day on our May/June trip, so I am saving the info on your beach day. Even though I love the beach scene in Soarin' (old version), a beach day wasn't really on my radar until your report. I'm thinking maybe Crescent Bay at Laguna....but Great Mex at Huntington Beach looks really good! And us Texans miss Mexican food when we are away from home, lol.

Thanks for the nice comments. Hope you had a great May/June trip. Did you end up having a beach day?

I just read your entire TR today! I loved ready about all of the Disney stuff, but all the non-Disney stuff was awesome too. Thanks for sharing.

Wow, the entire report in one day?!?! How cool! Thanks for reading along.

Thank you for sharing. My family and I are HUGE Disney fans! We try to go every year. Like you this year we decided the kids needed to see more than Florida! We are planning a trip of a lifetime. Boston to California Road Trip - with most of our journey on Route 66. Our ultimate Destination is Disneyland!!! It will be our first visit. We really enjoyed reading your trip report and looking at your pictures!! We have a little over 100 more days to go until we start our adventure.

Wow!!!! That's a road trip of a lifetime! I assume you've returned from the trip by now? How was it?

I hope you enjoyed the Frank & Ollie movie. Yes, we've seen "The Boys", and we loved it too! DLR from NC is a long drive. Not sure if you've completed the trip, but I hope it was awesome! Thanks for the tip on the NC Transportation Museum. I haven't been to NC in many, many years, but this sounds like a must do if we are ever in the area!

Thank you MarbleBob for this adventure you "took" me on!
It was great finding it years later and being able to read it all at once and not have to wait for installments to post! It also kept me quite entertained on these last two slow night shifts here at work.

I can't even begin to comment on all I want to, there was so much of it!

Highlights: mareceline Mo. wow! I want to go now!

Santa Claus on his way to Starbucks! I laughed out loud reading about him!

Your family is amazingly adorable! Sweet sweet kids it seems and a happy couple, so very nice to see.

I need to find your Hawaii trip report and read it! I've been to Hawaii many many times and one of these days, for the sake of my kid (who am I kidding...me!) we will have to check out Aulani. Since Buddy loves trains so much on your next trip to Hawaii (there WILL be one because once you go you'll never get it out of your system), you should go to Kauai. There's a fun train to ride at the Kilohana plantation. It's a very quaint fun gorgeous train ride through many tropical gardens. At the end you can feed some pigs!

http://www.kilohanakauai.com/

We live about a 5 hour drive up from San Francisco, in the redwoods on the coast. We visit San Francisco very often and I've never been to the Walt Family Museum but it's been on my list. After your TR, I realize I HAVE to get there soon! It's looks so "cool".
And we are at Union square, Fisherman's Wharf and china town more than anything. Now I realize I need to spend some time in Japan town as well.

So thank you! It was quite entertaining. I've never visiting the TR forum, always just sticking to the DL forum. This is the first TR that caught my eye and I read it. So glad I did!

Thanks so much for reading the TR. I'm glad you got a chuckle about Santa on his way to Starbucks. It still makes me smile to think about it.

Thanks for the tip about the train ride at the Kilohana plantation. You're right, it's not a question of if, but when we'll make it back to Hawaii!!

Wow, sounds like you live in an amazing location.

Hello everyone! For some reason, I haven't been receiving Disboards alerts for a while... and I didn't realize that there were new comments in the past few months. Hard to believe this trip was over two years ago now!!!!

I hope you enjoyed the Frank & Ollie movie. Yes, we've seen "The Boys", and we loved it too! DLR from NC is a long drive. Not sure if you've completed the trip, but I hope it was awesome! Thanks for the tip on the NC Transportation Museum. I haven't been to NC in many, many years, but this sounds like a must do if we are ever in the area!

We did enjoy the movie. The talent and the stories are amazing.

We also did complete our trip and it was wonderful. My pre-trip report and trip report links should be in my signature. If not you should be able to find it, here: June 2017 Trip Report – WDW vets reflect on their first DLR trip. We made a couple of Route 66 related stops, that related to Cars Land. The rest of the trip was pretty much making time, this time.

Im really loving your TR and im only on page 6, i just wanted to say i need a pair of those Disney Vans...:lovestruc
The pics are great, especially of the Walt Museum, i myself have ever been there but hoping one day i will get a chance to visit.....

I don't know if you have done any more reports. I just loved your writing style and following along with your family on the last ones. I don't come on the dis a whole lot anymore but am always up for a new report if you have one in the works :)

Weird... I'm still not getting alerts to replies so I didn't notice these until now...

We did enjoy the movie. The talent and the stories are amazing.

We also did complete our trip and it was wonderful. My pre-trip report and trip report links should be in my signature. If not you should be able to find it, here: June 2017 Trip Report – WDW vets reflect on their first DLR trip. We made a couple of Route 66 related stops, that related to Cars Land. The rest of the trip was pretty much making time, this time.

How cool! Thanks for sharing. I'll be checking our your TR!

Im really loving your TR and im only on page 6, i just wanted to say i need a pair of those Disney Vans...:lovestruc
The pics are great, especially of the Walt Museum, i myself have ever been there but hoping one day i will get a chance to visit.....

Glad you made it to the TR. And yeah, those Disney Vans are super cool. They have held up well. I still wear the Mickey Mouse ones almost every day...

I don't know if you have done any more reports. I just loved your writing style and following along with your family on the last ones. I don't come on the dis a whole lot anymore but am always up for a new report if you have one in the works :)

Hi Kelley! Since this one, I did one for our trip to WDW in May 2016 and then to Aulani in June 2016. Stephanie and I went back to WDW (without the kids) in May, but I didn't write a TR for it. For our 20th wedding anniversary, we're going on a Disney Cruise out of San Diego in early October, and then heading up to DL for a couple days before coming home. I plan to do a TR for that one, for sure!!!

Cool. I did read the one where you all went to DW last year but I must have missed the one about Aulani. I think I saw a few pics but can't remember. Will def be interested in your cruise report. Have fun!! :)

I have to say that I love this trip report! You have inspired my family to took into a road trip and visits to national parks. Thank you so much for sharing!

I have to say that I love this trip report! You have inspired my family to took into a road trip and visits to national parks. Thank you so much for sharing!

Thanks for the feedback! Hope you are able to make a road trip of your own happen. They are so much fun!!!

Just read this and really enjoyed. Now I want to go on a roadtrip! 1/2 the time we drive to DLR, but it's only from Oregon down. And we always just fly to St. Louis (family there, plus now we're going every other year for racquetball). But this is making me want to plan a road trip across the country, maybe we could drive to WDW? hmmm.

Looking forward to reading your other trip reports as well.

Just read this and really enjoyed. Now I want to go on a roadtrip! 1/2 the time we drive to DLR, but it's only from Oregon down. And we always just fly to St. Louis (family there, plus now we're going every other year for racquetball). But this is making me want to plan a road trip across the country, maybe we could drive to WDW? hmmm.

Looking forward to reading your other trip reports as well.

How cool! I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Wow, a road trip from Oregon to WDW would be quite the adventure!!!! :hippie:

Found your TR a few days ago and really enjoyed reading it! We are going to take a road trip from Indy area to Kansas City and back through St Louis next year. We plan on stopping in Marceline so that's why I found your TR. Now I want to road trip all the way to CA! Don't know if that will happen, but thanks for the inspiration to do more road tripping.

How fun! Your are going to love Marceline! We've been visiting them a couple times a year since I wrote this TR and they've made MAJOR improvements to museum in recent years. Unfortunately, the city removed the old Midget Autopia track, so you can't play on it anymore. But the good news is.... They are recreating the attraction just outside the museum. I think phase one (the track) will be completed this year. (They are still working to refurbish the little cars.) Our little Pickle was featured in their go fund me campaign, riding her trike when she was younger. How fun!

Also, something else fun... I've gotten to know the folks who run the museum a bit (they are an awesome group of people) and had the chance to initiate the return a bunch of Walt's favorite apple trees back to the Disney Family Farm this past year. Even better, this was done during D23's Return to Marceline Visit. It was awesome! Here are a couple write ups that you might find interesting before your trip:

https://d23.com/d23-returns-marceline-truly-magnificent-day/
https://www.starkbros.com/growing-guide/article/wolf-river-walt-disney

Best wishes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!