Our Aulani trip is scheduled for late March. How's everyone doing?

plasmo

Earning My Ears
With everything that has been going on in the world, wanted to see how visitors and locals are handling things on the island.
We do not have refundable airfare, so we are still planning on going on vacation at the end of March.
A lot can happen in a month though, so we are keeping our fingers crossed. Is it true that people on the island are buying up supplies from local grocery stores there?
Just want to hear from someone who actually is there now. I am reading other things online but not going to post anything unless credible.

Great question...hoping someone can provide first hand reports?
We are scheduled to leave mid March but are 99% certain we will back out and lose 5-7K. Being stuck on an island with limited supplies/medical care scares me more than actually getting COVID19. The only reason we haven't officially cancelled is that there is currently no financial advantage for us to do so (airline change fees, VRBO's that are nonrefundable) We bought trip insurance but doesn't cover epidemics (who would of thought?!)

Don't cancel your trip. It's a cold virus. A contagious one but still a cold virus. You will regret more cancelling your trip

This. My family and I are flying out to Oahu on Monday and staying at Aulani for a week. We've been more concerned about the weather.

My husband and I have been on Oahu for the past week. A few days in Ko Olina and the last few days on the North Shore. Beautiful sites, perfect weather, and friendly people just as you would expect. A truly wonderful visit.

We have had no concerns. Local broadcast news has featured local-perspective stories each night. Island officials are paying attention to the situation. That just appears to be responsible governance to me.

I think you may be concerned about a story regarding lines at Costco due to people preparing their homes with basics in the event that travel is limited. Those interviewed seemed just to be taking stock to ensure that they had what they needed. We have seen none of that in person however.

We have been in several grocery stores and drugstores and have walked right to the checkout. Shelves seemed fully stocked to me. I have heard neither locals nor visitors conversing about it. Our chats with both groups have been focused on the usual subjects. We have not limited touring, eating, or shopping in anyway. In short, it has been a regular week for us as tourists.

Having said that, anticipating whether you should travel is entirely different. It is an expensive trip for sure. Maybe check in on the Honolulu newspaper every day to see how they are reporting it, and you can assess your own comfort level with the expenditure at this time.

We are leaving this evening, but if I could figure out how to either stay a few more days or to get back here in March, I would.

We leave on March 12 from Florida and I would also lose airfare and most likely my DVC points since there would never be any rooms available at WDW to use them. Anyway, we are planning on coming. Hawaii doesn't scare me as much as international travel. (but maybe it should)

just pay attention to the news.

if you see a big flashy story about how hospitals are full past capacity...cancel immediately, don't second guess, don't hesitate.

if not, should be fine.

a story like that should make headlines in most areas. its also likely way past the point where you're all that much safer anywhere (barring antarctica)...and its mostly India that needs to really be afraid...seriously...its horrifying to think what a china level outbreak would do there...

just pay attention to the news.

if you see a big flashy story about how hospitals are full past capacity...cancel immediately, don't second guess, don't hesitate.

if not, should be fine.

a story like that should make headlines in most areas. its also likely way past the point where you're all that much safer anywhere (barring antarctica)...and its mostly India that needs to really be afraid...seriously...its horrifying to think what a china level outbreak would do there...

Hawaii is our back up plan if ABD cancels our london/paris trip in a couple of weeks!

Hawaii is fine. Here is a link to the Hawaii state's Dept. of Health website: https://health.hawaii.gov/docd/advisories/novel-coronavirus-2019/

People here are losing their minds over an (imo) irresponsible news piece that said the state is advising people stock up on essential items. Hawaii News Now, which has a reputation for being sensationalized/dramatic, sent a push alert to people's cell phones to promote the story and a lot of people erroneously believed the state government sent the alert. This is an island - you're ALWAYS supposed to keep a small supply of essentials and the state simply reminding people of this long-standing fact of island life.

Despite the fact that everything was running normally on Feb. 25 and there had been NO MAJOR DEVELOPMENTS, people decided on Feb 26 (the day the story ran) that covid-19 was coming for them and wiped out Costco's entire supply of toilet paper and bottled water.

The shelves are full of tylenol, ibuprofen, cold meds, decongestants, hand soaps, etc. *roll eyes* If you were to get covid-19, what's more important - bottled water and paper plates or fever reducer? A good number of Hawaii residents have prepared themselves for a hurricane, not a pandemic.

We're heading there in mid-April; no plans to cancel. We have travel insurance but pandemics aren't covered and our flights are nonrefundable.

Hawaii is fine. Here is a link to the Hawaii state's Dept. of Health website: https://health.hawaii.gov/docd/advisories/novel-coronavirus-2019/

People here are losing their minds over an (imo) irresponsible news piece that said the state is advising people stock up on essential items. Hawaii News Now, which has a reputation for being sensationalized/dramatic, sent a push alert to people's cell phones to promote the story and a lot of people erroneously believed the state government sent the alert. This is an island - you're ALWAYS supposed to keep a small supply of essentials and the state simply reminding people of this long-standing fact of island life.

Despite the fact that everything was running normally on Feb. 25 and there had been NO MAJOR DEVELOPMENTS, people decided on Feb 26 (the day the story ran) that covid-19 was coming for them and wiped out Costco's entire supply of toilet paper and bottled water.

The shelves are full of tylenol, ibuprofen, cold meds, decongestants, hand soaps, etc. *roll eyes* If you were to get covid-19, what's more important - bottled water and paper plates or fever reducer? A good number of Hawaii residents have prepared themselves for a hurricane, not a pandemic.
IDK how to include the emojis as my reply, or you’d have a little laughing guy instead of a “like.” Evidently where I live, which is most certainly NOT an island, we’re prepping for a hurricane too!! LOL Good info from a (level-headed) local here.

Great question...hoping someone can provide first hand reports?
We are scheduled to leave mid March but are 99% certain we will back out and lose 5-7K. Being stuck on an island with limited supplies/medical care scares me more than actually getting COVID19. The only reason we haven't officially cancelled is that there is currently no financial advantage for us to do so (airline change fees, VRBO's that are nonrefundable) We bought trip insurance but doesn't cover epidemics (who would of thought?!)
Exactly! You’d think it’s to cover stuff JUST like that. Definitely interesting and will make me read more closely the next time I purchase insurance. Guess it’s like not being able to buy flood insurance unless you like in a known flood-probe area. Well heck, I thought you bought insurance to protect against stuff you DON’T plan for?? SMH.

Anyway, good luck to everyone who has upcoming travel plans! Hope you’re not impacted.

Exactly! You’d think it’s to cover stuff JUST like that. Definitely interesting and will make me read more closely the next time I purchase insurance. Guess it’s like not being able to buy flood insurance unless you like in a known flood-probe area. Well heck, I thought you bought insurance to protect against stuff you DON’T plan for?? SMH.

Anyway, good luck to everyone who has upcoming travel plans! Hope you’re not impacted.
Insurance was designed to make insurance companies money.

We're all cancelled :( So disappointing but I just didn't want my dream vacation to be filled with uncertainty. That is not how I pictured visiting Hawaii for the first time.
Cancellation process for those interested:
I only had to wait 10 minutes to get through to cancel Aulani last evening. The lady I spoke to sounded like they were getting lots of cancellations. Took 5-7 minutes. So maybe not may crowds if you are going soon! We were booked on Delta and while their website doesn't say domestic flights change fees are waived, they are, you retain value of your ticket to be used one year from the original purchase date. We also booked a couple VRBO's and one owner is refusing any refunds and the other owner was willing to give back one night/cleaning fee. We did buy trip insurance but it doesn't cover epidemics. We're losing about $4K but can absorb it, it would have cost us at least double and then some to go and I just wasn't excited anymore. Hopefully sometime yet this year to use those tickets!!

We're all cancelled :( So disappointing but I just didn't want my dream vacation to be filled with uncertainty. That is not how I pictured visiting Hawaii for the first time.
Cancellation process for those interested:
I only had to wait 10 minutes to get through to cancel Aulani last evening. The lady I spoke to sounded like they were getting lots of cancellations. Took 5-7 minutes. So maybe not may crowds if you are going soon! We were booked on Delta and while their website doesn't say domestic flights change fees are waived, they are, you retain value of your ticket to be used one year from the original purchase date. We also booked a couple VRBO's and one owner is refusing any refunds and the other owner was willing to give back one night/cleaning fee. We did buy trip insurance but it doesn't cover epidemics. We're losing about $4K but can absorb it, it would have cost us at least double and then some to go and I just wasn't excited anymore. Hopefully sometime yet this year to use those tickets!!
sorry to hear that. Don't worry, Hawaii is not going anywhere. You will have a great time whenever you choose to go. We have upcoming trip in late May and I will continue to monitor the situation to see what needs to be done.

We're flying out to Oahu on March 14th, staying at an AirBnB in Turtle Bay first for 3 nights before transferring to Aulani. We are coming from the Vancouver area, we currently have 21 cases of Covid-9 (not all here, some in the interior of BC), so honestly at this point I have a better chance of getting it here than I do on a plane or anywhere on Oahu. Washy washy washy, vitamins, etc. We cannot WAIT to escape the rain and cold for the island breezes!

there is a much greater chance of new cases being detected now that the news that a cruise ship with at least 1 confirmed case stopped in hawaii before being blocked and rerouted from mexico. no guarantees that the person who got it didn't get it from an infected surface after the stops in hawaii tho since that particular ship had a previous confirmed case on the previous cruise it did...and cruise ships are not exactly known for having the best cleaning practices in general...especially given that the cruise company just cancelled the next cruise that ship was scheduled to do...presumably to properly disinfect the whole ship this time.

so far 6 possible cases in hawaii...6 confirmed negative results.

there are quite a few major events that have been cancelled, so if there was a big event that was the focus of your trip...check to make sure it hasn't been cancelled...

it does appear that hotels and restaurants are a lot less crowded now. as long as the hospitals aren't overflowing with patients its still just as safe in hawaii as anywhere else.

wouldn't expect the cdc website to be updated very frequently...they are rather understaffed (and have been for a while now)...and given how much they have to do now, updating their website is probably fairly low on their to do list.

Thanks for this link! According to the website there are zero cases in Hawaii, but i'm not sure how up to date the website is, as it says there are only 99 cases in the United States, when there are at least 230. Keep us informed of any new developments thanks! (I assume you live on the island)

Hawaii got its first confirmed case of coronavirus today, but nobody is panicking. Hawaii's patient zero was one of the passengers on the Grand Princess, but did not have close contact with anyone in Hawaii after she started feeling ill. Here is a link to the article: https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020...f-infection-in-hawaii-lt-gov-josh-green-says/

I live in a little town in north central Texas. Oddly, 4 couples from my town are on the Grand Princess. I know a couple of them.

They won’t bring it here... they won’t be released unless they test negative or otherwise get released from quarantine. That group is being closely scrutinized.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter