Our Disney Experience Dec 9th-12th 2019

Lashed34

DIS Veteran
So we finally got to experience the Disney magic a week or so ago and here's our thoughts of the experience.

I'll get the positives out of the way first.

Rise of the Resistance was absolutely incredible, we arrived at 6am, went on all the rides and had great fun in DHS before getting onto RotR around 3pm. A jaw dropping experience and one we will never forget.

Flight Of Passage - we waited the line and it was only about an hour - wow, a stunning ride and well worth queuing for, we now understand what all the fuss was about.

Now for the negatives.

We stayed at AS Movies and the room was OK but we were in Mighty Ducks so used AS Music more for shop, food court. Overall though we found the food excessively priced and not very appetizing at all. When the ATM was out of order though I asked reception for the nearest one and they just shrugged and said Disney Springs - so much for informed staff and that Disney magic!

The Magic Kingdom. We got there for rope drop on 12/9 and couldn't believe the crowds - we had FP+ for SM, BTMR & Haunted Mansion. HM was down most of the day and when we did queue as we had used the FP+ on Splash Mountain it was absolutely ridiculous. The standby line just never moved yet the FP+ queue just went in - it was down all day until 3pm (ish) and so they let everyone with FP+ for the entire day through rather than just operate the standby line for everyone. After being in line for nearly 2 hours the ride stopped while we were on it for 10 minutes - we were very hot, very bothered and not one CM seemed to give a damn about anyone.

By 9am virtually every ride was at least an hour and all the ones in Fantasyland were well over than, just lines and queues everywhere and getting something to eat was almost impossible - eventually we got some food in Pinocciho and it was DREADFUL - hugely expensive chicken burger with absolutely no flavour or taste whatsoever - that was enough for us and we headed out.

I couldn't believe just how busy the park was, kids were being dragged by their parents, kicking and screaming everywhere, prams, buggies, mobility scooters caused jams just about everywhere, I'll be completely honest, it was absolute hell - how anyone can enjoy such chaos is beyond me.

Epcot we enjoyed and rode everything before WS and after lunch in Germany (and a beer of course) we headed off to DAK. It was a very hot day so we did the rapids and got soaked and then dried off waiting in line for FOP.

Both Epcot & DAK were good for crowds so we did all we wanted to.

OK, I may be shouted down here but the one thing we found in Disney generally was just how many shops can you cram into a park selling exactly the same merch, with a few variations to justify there being another shop? After 3 we were just so bored looking at the same merch.

Overall we decided when we return in 2 years we will only go to DHS because we love ToT, RnRC, RotR, SDD and Galaxy's edge. It just seemed a lot more varied with different things to do - and getting a photo with Darth Vadar and Chewie made our stay complete. But I don't think I will ever step into The Magic Kingdom again - our whole experience there was just painful.

Since joining the DIS Boards I've read so many hints and tips, reviews etc and many of them helped hugely, so many thanks to everyone who comments and give updates etc, it certainly helped with RotR & FoP.

I have to say also that Memory Maker was great and we did get some great pics throughout the parks.

How many days were you there?

We didn't try to do the new star wars ride. Our DD and family did, but it took over 5 hours. No ride is worth that to us.

Yes, the number of strollers are amazing. Seeing the sea of strollers by the merry go around is mind numbing.

Not to argue how kids past the age of 6 months should be walking everywhere, but I do think back when MK/Epcot first opened people used smaller strollers or no strollers. But then it was easier to get back and forth to resorts. And parks were open 12 plus hours a day. Now when there are parties and MK closes at 6, people may think I'm staying as long as I can, so I need food, change of clothes, pillow, kitchen sink....

Also when my grandmother was the age I am now, the thought of going on vacation of any type was not considered. I can't tell you how many times I have thought "hmm, my grandma never crawled under tables making a fort or sat at a tiny table playing with playdoh" I just got back from going to disney with our 6 grandkids.

How many days were you there?

We didn't try to do the new star wars ride. Our DD and family did, but it took over 5 hours. No ride is worth that to us.

Yes, the number of strollers are amazing. Seeing the sea of strollers by the merry go around is mind numbing.

Not to argue how kids past the age of 6 months should be walking everywhere, but I do think back when MK/Epcot first opened people used smaller strollers or no strollers. But then it was easier to get back and forth to resorts. And parks were open 12 plus hours a day. Now when there are parties and MK closes at 6, people may think I'm staying as long as I can, so I need food, change of clothes, pillow, kitchen sink....

Also when my grandmother was the age I am now, the thought of going on vacation of any type was not considered. I can't tell you how many times I have thought "hmm, my grandma never crawled under tables making a fort or sat at a tiny table playing with playdoh" I just got back from going to disney with our 6 grandkids.
We had 3 nights at AS Movies and planned 1 park per day, but as we did Epcot & DAK in one day we left it there. We did do everything we wanted to and got on Soarin' at RD then used FP+ that were booked. It was only MK we had really negative feelings about.

No, just a regular day, it's probably the reason it was so busy because people knew they could stay all day.

Yes, thats the thinking. We had gone on a Saturday night our first night and it felt like all of Orlando was there. But we had decided, we'd go in, use the FPs. Maybe another ride or two. Not expecting much since we didn't enter the park until 5 pm, but we didn't want the kids bouncing off the walls of the resort since everyone had first day energy.

So we finally got to experience the Disney magic a week or so ago and here's our thoughts of the experience.

I'll get the positives out of the way first.

Rise of the Resistance was absolutely incredible, we arrived at 6am, went on all the rides and had great fun in DHS before getting onto RotR around 3pm. A jaw dropping experience and one we will never forget.

Flight Of Passage - we waited the line and it was only about an hour - wow, a stunning ride and well worth queuing for, we now understand what all the fuss was about.

Now for the negatives.

We stayed at AS Movies and the room was OK but we were in Mighty Ducks so used AS Music more for shop, food court. Overall though we found the food excessively priced and not very appetizing at all. When the ATM was out of order though I asked reception for the nearest one and they just shrugged and said Disney Springs - so much for informed staff and that Disney magic!

The Magic Kingdom. We got there for rope drop on 12/9 and couldn't believe the crowds - we had FP+ for SM, BTMR & Haunted Mansion. HM was down most of the day and when we did queue as we had used the FP+ on Splash Mountain it was absolutely ridiculous. The standby line just never moved yet the FP+ queue just went in - it was down all day until 3pm (ish) and so they let everyone with FP+ for the entire day through rather than just operate the standby line for everyone. After being in line for nearly 2 hours the ride stopped while we were on it for 10 minutes - we were very hot, very bothered and not one CM seemed to give a damn about anyone.

By 9am virtually every ride was at least an hour and all the ones in Fantasyland were well over than, just lines and queues everywhere and getting something to eat was almost impossible - eventually we got some food in Pinocciho and it was DREADFUL - hugely expensive chicken burger with absolutely no flavour or taste whatsoever - that was enough for us and we headed out.

I couldn't believe just how busy the park was, kids were being dragged by their parents, kicking and screaming everywhere, prams, buggies, mobility scooters caused jams just about everywhere, I'll be completely honest, it was absolute hell - how anyone can enjoy such chaos is beyond me.

Epcot we enjoyed and rode everything before WS and after lunch in Germany (and a beer of course) we headed off to DAK. It was a very hot day so we did the rapids and got soaked and then dried off waiting in line for FOP.

Both Epcot & DAK were good for crowds so we did all we wanted to.

OK, I may be shouted down here but the one thing we found in Disney generally was just how many shops can you cram into a park selling exactly the same merch, with a few variations to justify there being another shop? After 3 we were just so bored looking at the same merch.

Overall we decided when we return in 2 years we will only go to DHS because we love ToT, RnRC, RotR, SDD and Galaxy's edge. It just seemed a lot more varied with different things to do - and getting a photo with Darth Vadar and Chewie made our stay complete. But I don't think I will ever step into The Magic Kingdom again - our whole experience there was just painful.

Since joining the DIS Boards I've read so many hints and tips, reviews etc and many of them helped hugely, so many thanks to everyone who comments and give updates etc, it certainly helped with RotR & FoP.

I have to say also that Memory Maker was great and we did get some great pics throughout the parks.

My DH dreads our MK park day. Any other park he is fine with but absolute hates MK! We only did it in October to do LTT, a couple of attractions and some shopping and got out of there. It didn't help that it was a real feel of 99 that day.

We have been going since there were only two parks, MK and Epcot and still usually only spent half day at MK. We always have park hoppers so we might hop over there to shop or eat or see the lights at night but it's our least favorite park. We were there the week before Christmas 3 years ago and it did seem to be the busiest park. When we go that close to Christmas, we tend to spend more time touring resorts and eating then riding. On a normal trip we are in Epcot and HS every single day, usually spend about 3/4 of a day at AK and 1/2 day at MK.

What I would really hope for is an After Hours event at MK but this past trip in October there weren't any so my timing hasn't been great. I'm really hoping for the weekly DAH during our next trip but that hadn't been the case this past Fall like it was in 2018 where I had to decide between 3 of them.

Have you considered trying out Disneyland instead of WDW? Many of the things you listed at DHS is also at DL/DCA. And then you have the benefit of other experiences and seeing new things? I am biased since I'm a DL local, but I find the QS food to be much more varied and better at Disneyland, plus I prefer many of the DL versions of the rides. You can get hotels for similar prices to the All Stars, but still walking distance to the parks. Just food for thought!

Have you considered trying out Disneyland instead of WDW? Many of the things you listed at DHS is also at DL/DCA. And then you have the benefit of other experiences and seeing new things? I am biased since I'm a DL local, but I find the QS food to be much more varied and better at Disneyland, plus I prefer many of the DL versions of the rides. You can get hotels for similar prices to the All Stars, but still walking distance to the parks. Just food for thought!
Thank you, yes, Disneyland is most definitely in our future plans to visit.

One of the main reasons we get hoppers is because I can only handle a few hours in MK. I absolutely love the park but the crowds are unbearable. We usually either go at rope drop and stay a few hours or head over in the evening.

Glad you had some good experiences despite the fact that first time trips can be overwhelming.

Yea for MK we just ride the FP wave. We use our 3 than if we can get a 4th,5th,6th we will go to them if there soon. Than head out. I dont wait in any lines at MK. The one thing the last 2 trips i was unable to ride even WITH a FP was Buzz. The FP line was 45min.. like no thanks.

It’s fascinating how different people see things...

Firstly I have to say that the only reason DW and I restrict our time in the parks to half or three-quarter days is because of our age; we both admit to being over 60 and simply don’t have the sheer stamina that we used to 🙁 . So...

DW and I have just returned from 15 days in Orlando, staying in AKL. We only spent a half day in DAK - it’s just too *hot* in that park whatever the weather ’outside’, and also the naturalistic surfaces are very hard on anyone on wheels - but we visited MK on four separate days, never a full day and at different times to accommodate our FP+ and dining selections (breakfast in Crystal Palace, lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern, dinner at Cinderella’s Royal Table followed by fireworks, and dinner at The Plaza - that last being the only one of the four that we thought over-rated). Those four half-or-a-bit-more days allowed us to visit parts of MK that we’ve never seen before and ride things we've not ridden before (It’s a Small World 😊 and Haunted Mansion, the ‘circus big top’ shop - where DW was finally able to buy a salamander as seen in Frozen 2, after everywhere else we went to in the parks and at Disney Springs were sold out). DW uses an ECV due to a back injury and while MK was crowded as it always is we didn’t find it excessively so or an inconvenience. I personally regard the crowds just as something that’s there and a good opportunity for people watching...

We also went to DHS for a half day - it remains our least favourite park, and we found Galaxy’s Edge is somewhat underwhelming (although I have just returned from our local cinema and The Rise of Skywalker). Of course we’re slightly biased as we’re really Star Trek fans waiting for a theme park that will let us walk through the bridge of the Enterprise and have lunch in a Starfleet canteen 😁 ). Toy Story Land doesn’t really do anything for us at all. And we had a long nearly full day in Epcot (my personal favourite, and I’m really looking forward to the completion of the various projects under way there) involving breakfast at Akershus and a walk right around World Showcase.

i will agree however that if you intend to rely on QS food the choice and quality is limited. Most of ours came from The Mara, and theirs is actually better than most IMO.

We’re now in the earliest stages of planning our next trip, hopefully for Dec 2021 (it takes time to save for a Disney vacation when factoring in flights from the UK) and while MK will undoubtedly be *very* busy then for the 50th celebrations we will certainly be there.

The crowds at MK have been nearly unbearable to me at times the last few trips we've done and lately we do little more than our 3 FP+s and then leave. And try to move the FP+ times to earlier as each FP+ is used. So much so that we haven't even been in Tomorrowland in a year and I get a kick out of the Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor.

This is the advantage of having hoppers or an AP. If one park doesn't work out, you can just leave and go to another park.

2 hours is plenty at MK and every 2 or 3 years at MK works for us. With no kids we can slip in and out in 2 hours, doing about 5 to 6 rides with FPs or 3 rides without FPs. 2020 we're staying at AK-J so we'll do a day at AK and the rest will be a resort stay with a few days at DS. Park-wise, we tend to spend more time at Epcot and HS. MK can wait for 2021 :)

The crowds at MK have been nearly unbearable to me at times the last few trips we've done and lately we do little more than our 3 FP+s and then leave. And try to move the FP+ times to earlier as each FP+ is used. So much so that we haven't even been in Tomorrowland in a year and I get a kick out of the Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor.

This is the advantage of having hoppers or an AP. If one park doesn't work out, you can just leave and go to another park.

One of the good things about ticket packages when bought in the UK is that hopper privileges are included along with lots of other stuff (Memory Maker etc) that folks from elsewhere have to pay extra for.

I’m sure Tomorrowland will regain the love once the Tron coaster opens... 😊 We don’t like coasters so it won’t matter to us (but I have an enduring love of the People Mover there, so it’s on our list).

Peoplemover is one of the reasons I even visit the park particularly since the WDRR hasn't been operational for about 2 years now. I have to say I'm becoming rather impatient waiting for it to return.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!