• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Our exchange to Four Seasons Marbella, Spain (long)

penguincruiser

Waddling to WDW!!
Hi there,

just back from our exchange to Marbella, Spain and our first DVC trip (our first "home" trip will be in November), it was great!

The exchange - why and how

We bought a 220 point resale in December which still had 110 banked points which had to be used by Oct. Our WDW trip is planned for Nov/Dec this year for Walt's 100th so we couldn't use them for that and decided to exchange for a week in another sunny climate.

The exchange was very easy, I called DVC with a list of 4 resorts (1 in Portugal, 1 on the Canaries, 2 in Spain) and a timeframe of about 3 months. They got back within 3 days with an exchange, this was our 4th choice so we passed and within 3 weeks we got our 2nd choice and took it. We exchanged a week in a studio - 98 points.

We got an information pack a few weeks after with all the info on the hotel and also a list of foodstuffs we could order for a welcome pack (bread, butter, eggs etc) and a form for a hire car through the resort. We sent the form back and it all went ok, we didn't get a confirmation though!

The trip itself - resort and other info

We arrived at Malaga airport and followed the signs to the lower floor to the car rentals. We took care of the paperwork and crossed over to the garage to pick up our car and were soon on our way. The driving instructions were reasonably clear (I had 2 different sets, the ones in the info pack were the best) and we were at the resort in about 40 minutes. Once checked in a staff member showed us where to park the car (secure lot) and showed us up to our room.

The resort is made up of 3 parts, part one is the clubhouse with facilities, and 3 story spanish style appartments situated around the 2 pools. We were in one of the 2 non-poolside buildings and were given a one bedroom on the top floor.
The other parts of the resort are separate and I think that they are more for people who spend longer time there, the second part has very nice gardens.
The resort is nicely landscaped and the pools are small but nice, there's plenty of room around the pool with lots of sun loungers. The beach is about a 8 min walk (max) and there are two beach restaurants with deckchairs etc.

The clubhouse has a nice bar and restaurant and was being refurbished when we were there, there is also outdoor dining, food is good. You can also order snacks but there is a minimum of 2000 pesetas (approx USD10). In the clubhouse there is also sauna, fitness, squash and billiards, a beauty salon and small indoor pool. Activities are organised every day but we didn't take part in them.

The appartment was nicely furnished and had airco.
Living room had a couch table and extra chair, TV and stereo, breakfast bar w. 2 chairs, small kitchen with 2 electric plates, microwave, kettle, toaster and sink.
Balcony had a table & 2 chairs perfect for breakfast!
Bathroom had a whirpool bath/shower, washstand, toilet and bidet. Towels and bathrobes were provided.
Bedroom had 2 single beds, dressing table and plenty of cupboard space also a safe which was big enough for two camera bags + passports, tickets etc.

We arrived on Fri and had maid service on Sun and Wed. Pool towels are provided. The resort charges an electricity charge which was approx USD 15 for the week.

Like many others the resort is situated between the main road and the beach, we only noticed traffic noise if we left the window open. Across from the resort is a small strip mall with a pizzeria, 1hr foto, ATM and supermarket. Marbella town is about 20 mins drive and you are right on the main road to Malaga, Gibraltar and further.

If anyone wants more info feel free to post or mail.

Penguincruiser

Thanks for the info, it sounds like fun. Did the room have a sofa bed as well ? Or just sleeping for 2 people? Could you ask for a bigger room if so ?

Sounds great, glad things worked out.

Thanks for the info regarding your exchange. One thing that appealed to us when considering DVC was the exchange/ concierge programs. I think the negotiating power DVC carries makes it very possible to trade into some first rate resorts! I find myself searching this board looking not just for WDW info but elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, love Disney but there's a great big world out there to explore.

Hello Vernon,

I think the sofa in the living room was a sofa bed as the details said that a one bedroom slept 2 adults & 2 children, but we didn't use it so I don't really know.

As I said we exchanged a studio and got a 1 bedr. Maybe if you exchange a 1 bedr. you would get a 2 bedr. ;) The resort does have larger units.

JJ Penguin

p.s. their website is www.fsccm.com

Thank you for sharing information about your DVC exchange. Glad you had a nice week.

Thanks for the detailed description. I wish there was a trip report board for exchanges.

LUCYMC, go to Timeshare Users Group - TUG. Join TUG for just $15 for the first year (you get a free classified ad as well). Members can look at reviews and ratings for 1800 timeshare resorts worldwide! The reviews are all written by regular people who exchanged into or visited/toured the resorts themselves. Most include brief trip reports, indicating what they liked/didn't like, and what they did while visiting the resort area. Often, it gives a very good idea about what to expect when exchanging. Great reading!!!! :)

Lisa P.

p.s. If you do join, mentioning my name would grant me a 6 month extension of my own membership but I love the bulletin boards there and would continue to be a dues member, to support it, regardless. Enjoy!

When we traded into the Four Seasons in March 2000, we also had a wonderful time there. The resort is very well maintained, and they upgraded us from a one bedroom to a two bedroom unit at no cost. Both bedrooms had King(maybe Queen) size beds and had a sleeper couch in the living room.

We had a unit in the San Sebastian bldg, which overlooked the main pool from the front balcony , and the Meditteranean with the back balcony. The people in Spain are wonderful to tourists, they seem to enjoy meeting new people. We found great restaurants in Marbella, for comparatively little money, compared to the states.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter