• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Our favorite child-related purchase for our recent trip

akasleepingbeauty

My favorite place to run is Disney!!
We just returned from a week in WDW with our 23-month old DD. We bought a new Graco stroller (MetroLite) several months ago to use as our "Disney" stroller since I was worried about taking our Peg Perego Pliko (worried it might get stolen). Anyway, as the trip got closer my dh and I began discussing whether we wanted to take our Evenflo backpack with us. It seemed like it would be useful at times but it also seemed like it would be difficult to switch between the stroller and the backpack since it would be nearly impossible to cart the backpack around and secure it on the stroller while on rides etc.

So, I started looking at backpack/stroller combinations on-line. I found the InStep versions which looked fine but seemed a bit expensive for the quality (granted I was only looking at online pictures but after seeing several at WDW I think I was right). Then I came across the Kelty Convertible Stroler/Backpack. It looked really good but was pretty expensive (about $150 or more and sold out at many places) and now time was getting tight which would mean expensive shipping. I had about given up when I came across www.campmor.com They had the backpack/stroller in stock for only $100.00 with several accessories at equally good prices. They also had second day shipping for only $13.00 total. Wow - we couldn't resist and so we ordered it just a week before our departure. I could hardly believe it when it arrived right on time and just as expected!!

So, now onto how much we enjoyed using it. We checked our stroller as luggage (inside of a stroller carrying bag) and used the Kelty inside the airport as a stroller. We gate checked it upon boarding and then used it at the Orlando airport upon arrival. Our DD did sit up higher in it than in the stroller and it is definitely a different position (legs straight down rather than a sitting type position) but she seemed very comfortable in it. The only issue we ever had was that it was a bit hard for her to find a good position to rest her head when she was tired - we bought the pillow for it but it was not in the right place so we are going to try to come up with something ourselves to help in the future. The stroller is very narrow (I believe it would even roll down an airplane aisle) and it has swivel wheels in front and brakes on the wheels in back. It rolls smoothly and is very easy to maneuver in tight areas. We took the stroller with us to the parks for shorter trips and for times when we were expecting crowds (parade times especially) that may make having the backpack a better option. We used it both ways but did use it more as a stroller since we didn't have too many really bad crowd issues. It folds up nicely and my DH says it is quite comfortable to wear. There is space underneath the seat to store things (we bought a matching diaper bag and a matching cooler bag which we used alternately in the storage area). We also ordered a sunshield which stored nicely in a pocket in the back. It has a clear window that can be down during rain or up for more ventilation. It really helped when the sun got bright.

We got so many questions and comments on this stroller and saw a couple of others using the same one during the week. It was really a great option for us and we are planning on using it for similar situations as much as possible. Granted, we had to transport 2 strollers but we really felt it was worth it in the long run to have the flexibility offered by having both the regular stroller and the backpack/stroller.

Let me know if you have any questions about this and I'll help if I can!

:) :) :)
Rhonda

We just ordered and received an In-Step aluminum backpack/stroller similar to the one that you have. I was so excited when I ordered it, but when I loaded up the baby and tried it on it was HEAVY. So heavy that I've made arrangements to return it on Monday. I'm not a small woman, 5'7" 160 lbs., and my daughter weighs about 20 lbs. The backpack/stroller itself only weighs 10 lbs. and seemed very light and maneuverable, but it was just too uncomfortable. My DH would have used it most of the time but I wanted to know that I could use it too and I just felt that I couldn't. Maybe we'll give the Kelty a try but I suspect we'll be lugging a double umbrella for my older ones and a single comfy stroller for the baby.

Thanks for the tip! That looks like something we'll definitely consider. As an aside, which of the accessories do you find most/least useful? Do you think the pillow isn't worth buying, or was it just wrong for your child?

Thanks again!

Hi JohHM.

We bought the small pillow (this is the size recommended for the backpack/stroller) and since it was relatively inexpensive I would still buy it again. It does provide some nice cushioning in the back and into the seat area of the backpack (which is why I would buy it again) but it does not come up high enough outside of the pack to provide a resting place for our DD's head. Like I said, I think we can somehow come up with something to attach with velcro or something in the future as this was the ONLY drawback we found with this stroller.

We also bought the "fanny" diaper bag which is great. I don't think I would actually like to wear it around my waist as it is pretty large for that but otherwise it works well. It comes with a changing pad inside and has several different pockets for various items and it holds a LOT - we were able to pretty much get everthing we needed for a day in it. We used the "waist" straps to strap it around the stroller handle (just tighten the straps and it holds it firmly to the handle - no banging around at your knees etc.) which left the bottom storage area open for other things. When using it as a backpack, we put the diaper bag in the bottom storage area underneath the seat.

We also bought the cooler bag. We used this throughout the week (even with out other stroller) for taking cold water to the parks. It has a nice removable liner that has pockets for cold packs. It also has elastic loops to hold bottles etc inside. We like the size and once again felt the price was pretty good so we were happy with the purchase.

We also bought the rain/sun hood. I would consider this a MUST-HAVE for using this stroller at WDW. We did not use it every time but we did use it enough due to bright/hot days. Our DD did not seem to mind having it on the stroller (it does come quite a bit closer to the child's head than a stroller canopy would) and it really helped keep her out of the sun. It folds up and fits nicely in the small zip-off pack on the back of the backpack.

We also bought the small bottle holder that came with the small pocket container. It is really for the parent and can attach to either the backpack straps or to a belt loop etc. We used thed bottle holder especially. Just something else to consider while discussing bottle holders is that there is a long thin mesh pocket on the back of the backpack which is great for holding a bottle of water (better when using it as a stroller since it is fairly easy to access that way). There is also a small loop right in front of the child while sitting which is meant for picking up the stroller etc. but we found it held a sippy cup pretty well and was easy for our DD to get in and out herself.

I think the only other major accessory is the bug net (we did not buy this) which would probably be great when doing actual backpacking but was not necessary for our usage.

After all that, I guess my top recommendations would be the sun/raid hood and the fanny diaper bag. The other items are nice to have as well at the right price. An IMPORTANT thing to remember when considering whether to buy particular accessories is that this is a 2001 model and can ONLY accept 2001 accessories; this is why we decided to go ahead and purchase a few more right away rather than waiting since we did not want to end up not being able to find them since they are now essentially discontinued.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions I can help with!

Rhonda

Hi we also went to Disney with our at the time 9 month old daughter (she was around 14 pounds at the time) We bought the instep back pack stroller before the trip at a Target Greatland near our home (Michigan) it was only 49.00 not on sale and comes with sun shade and basket under it. It was great for us!!!!! It was the only stroller we took with us. We used it in the air port and it fit in the over head on the airplane, but we left it at the door and they packed it under on the plane. I had a another "book" back pack as a diaper bag, but it had too many zippers and pockets in it to have them look through each time we entered a park so I got a new small black WDW mickey bag with long handles and it fit right over the back of the stoller and held our small cooler bag, video camera and digital camera also, then we took the bag off and brought it with us when we left the stroller outside attractions.

Like you we also mostly used it as a stroller, but it was so convenent when the park was busy or you couldn't bring a stoller in (like "one man's dream and the Jungle Treck at AK). During parades was the best, she could see great and we were able to manvor much easier then usings a stoller. We got soooo many comments on it and did not see anyone else with one. WE LOVED IT! To be honest my husband is much bigger then me and he always was the one to use in in back pack mode. She was able to sleep in it, but only when really tried or when used as a back pack and her head rested on her fathers sholders. I loved how light, small, easy to manvour around and fold up it was.

Funny each time people mention stroller on this forem I bring this up and you are the only other person aka sb that we also used one. I am please to hear that it worked well with your 23 month old daugher, as that is how old ours will be on our next trip and we would like to use it again.

It does sounds like the rain/sun canapy might of been easier with your model. Ours did not fit comforably in the stroller when not in use and was not much help with rain, but was good for sun and unsnaped and folded over the frount easy when not in use or we left it in the room at night.

All in all we are very pleased with our stroller and feel it is the best 50 dollers I ever spent!!!! I would recomend this kind of stoller for the right age child on any trip ( over 5 months to up to 30 pounds)

Thank you SO much for all of the additional info! You have been *tremendously* helpful, and we are going to purchase the stroller and some accessories. I only have one question left: how did you know that the small pillow was the one recommended for the stroller? The phrasing on campmor says the small fits some specific model, and that the large fits another size and up - so they give almost no information, and actually imply that all of the carriers except one take the large pillow. I take it from what you said that the stroller would not accomodate the large pillow?

Hi again JonHM.

I figured out that the small pillow was the right one based on some additional research on the web - I went to several others places selling the backpack/stroller and finally found 2 different ones that specifically mentioned that the small pillow was the correct one. I too was confused by the information provided at campmor and almost gave up on ordering one at all until I found more information. I believe the size of the pillow relates to how it fits in the frame of the stroller more than the size of the pillow itself but I could be wrong since I don't have the larger pillow to compare it to.

I am sure that you will enjoy the backpack/stroller very much - we are so glad we purchased it and I am sure that we will use it for our trip next year with our DD as well for other family excursions.

Hi DisneyPhD.

I am glad you enjoyed your InStep backpack/stroller as well. We looked quite seriously at it (mostly on the internet) and it seems to get good reviews etc. One reason we did end up deciding on the Kelty was because it holds a child up to 45 lbs. which should be adequate for several more years for our DD - since the InStep only goes to 30 lbs. we probably would have only gotten another 6 months or so out of it. The price you found was excellent and I think you'll find it should work great for your DD for your future trip as well.

We actually saw several InStep as well as a couple of Kelty backpack/strollers while we were at WDW - they are such a great idea. I sure wish I had known about them last year before our Disney Cruise as it would have been perfect to take on board as opposed to hauling both our Evenflo backpack and our Pliko stroller.

As you mentioned, it is also neat to be able to take the backpack in areas where strollers are not allowed - they often allow backpacks in show lines (although not to be used in the show itself like Festival of the Lion King) and other "exhibit" areas which makes them so convenient compared to carrying your child or chasing them around. I think we will also use ours at our local zoo on our next visit and to the aquarium etc. since it worked so well at WDW.

Rhonda

Thanks again!!! We really, really appreciate all of the detailed info! We'll let you know how it works out once we get it! Take Care :)

JonHM - you are more than welcome and I hope everything works out well for you. I saw that you posted a link to our thread here on another thread - maybe we'll talk someone else into the Kelty also - LOL!

Kozmo - the WDW rental strollers are fine for many kids/families. However, we wanted a stroller in the airport as well as for Downtown Disney and around our resort so renting at the parks would not have been sufficient for us. I also did not feel like they looked very comfortable but that is just my opinion. Here is a link with some pictures and info on the various WDW rental strollers that may help you out.

http://www.wdwig.com/strol_faq.htm

Rhonda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter